Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Issue Using Hertz Points" Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Issue Using Hertz Points" Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2021, 1:26 pm

Programs: AC 75K, BA Gold, Marriott Platinum, National EE, Sixt Platinum, Hertz PC, AVIS PC
Originally Posted by abhilife2001
Trying to book with points and regardless of what I select, I get the message under payment options "You do not have enough points or this location is not accepting points".
Is this a common message since I have enough points and I seem to recall booking thru this location with points.
Last weekend I wanted to use points for a same day rental as rates were high...
Tried on standard (US) side - no option to redeem
Tried on App - not enough points or location not accepting
Tried on Hertz.ca - worked!

Very hit and miss still with redemptions.

Ron.
Old May 25, 2021, 2:41 pm

My experience with point redemption

I tried to recently redeem points for a oneway trip for two days. I could not book this online and i did this via phone. So the agent confirmed that it will be 3000 points and around $18 in taxes i have to pay. But to my surprise, I noticed that 6000 points have been deducted. I called them again and agent told they will reinstate 3000 points back. And again to my surprise , they have reinstated all my 6000 points back. And my reservation was still showing my estimated bill around $18. And another surprise when i actually took the car. When they handed me over the hard copy estimate while picking up the car, it showed $0. And that's what I paid while I returned the car. 0$ and no points deducted. But I waited around 3-4 hours on the call while booking and rebooking.
Old Jun 1, 2021, 6:52 am

I have a fun one: I booked a reservation using points for a location that has since temporarily closed. After no follow-up from Hertz's Twitter team, I called the PC line and was offered to make a new reservation at another (less convenient) location. For some reason, however, the rep had to transfer me to someone else to cancel the old reservation (but she was able to make a new points reservation first even though my remaining balance, before canceling the old reservation, was insufficient).

I checked my Hertz account yesterday and, while I got my points back from the canceled reservation, they were never debited for the new one. I did notice an "RQ" code in my new reservation, which I am not sure if that impacts the points. I tried to modify my reservation (making sure to select a point redemption option) and it didn't change anything.

Hoping Hertz doesn't come after me for the cash price of this rental ($1,000+) after some accountant notices there was no compensation.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Jun 2, 2021, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA ExPlat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
So I am looking at making a points booking for HNL for later this fall, both to use up some of my points and because of the high cash rental prices.

Is there any concern that points bookings receive a lower priority when there is a car shortage? I’d hate to start my first non-road trip vacation in 18 months waiting forever at HNL for a car. Getting to our destination at the north shore pretty much requires a car.

Also, just logged in for the first time in a year an found that I had apparently been downgraded to Gold. And the site complained that one of my credit cards had expired. After I fixed that, I miraculously am now PC again. Go figure.
Old Jun 2, 2021, 2:50 pm
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
So I am looking at making a points booking for HNL for later this fall, both to use up some of my points and because of the high cash rental prices.

Is there any concern that points bookings receive a lower priority when there is a car shortage? I’d hate to start my first non-road trip vacation in 18 months waiting forever at HNL for a car. Getting to our destination at the north shore pretty much requires a car.

Also, just logged in for the first time in a year an found that I had apparently been downgraded to Gold. And the site complained that one of my credit cards had expired. After I fixed that, I miraculously am now PC again. Go figure.
All bookings (prepaid, pay-later, points) are on an equal footing. If the location has cars available you will get one. If they run out of cars, then it's first come, first serve regardless of method booked.
Old Jun 5, 2021, 9:30 am

Programs: AA (Lifetime Gold, 1MM),UA(Premier Silver), Hilton(Diamond), Marriott (LTT), Hertz (PC)
Originally Posted by notquiteaff

I just used points for a 1 week and a one day rental back to back last week at HNL.They were sold out last week but I still got upgraded as a PC member. Actually they even honor my corporate discount at HNL (if not using points) and the rate was not bad at all. I also posted my experience in the upgrade thread.
Old Jun 7, 2021, 5:29 am

Location: 1 hour from Khao Yai, Thailand. No longer Bangkok, China, Taiwan , Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
24 hour cancellation now

I was just making a couple award reservations for September, and noticed that the T&C's now require you to cancel within 24 hours or risk losing some or all of the points, depending upon status level. I never noticed this provision, but I've been PC for a while, which has no penalty, but even when I was 5 Star, I would occasionally cancel/change the award reservation withour penalty.

Also, as a side note, I didn't have any trouble making award reservations (multiple) this weekend, well other than the substantially increased fees and taxes showing after the (exhorbitatnt) rate credit.
Old Jun 7, 2021, 10:11 am

Currently on a three-hour phone call with Hertz Gold Plus Rewards customer service.

I'm speaking with an overseas call center that raises ineptitude to an art form.

I have no idea why I do business with this company.
Old Jun 7, 2021, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rbAA
I was just making a couple award reservations for September, and noticed that the T&C's now require you to cancel within 24 hours or risk losing some or all of the points, depending upon status level. I never noticed this provision, but I've been PC for a while, which has no penalty.....
Cancellation penalty has been around for a few years. There are several threads complaining about it. It has no effect on PC members.
Old Jun 7, 2021, 8:26 pm

Location: 1 hour from Khao Yai, Thailand. No longer Bangkok, China, Taiwan , Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Originally Posted by TerryK
Cancellation penalty has been around for a few years. There are several threads complaining about it. It has no effect on PC members.
Like I said, I've been PC for a number of years, so never really affected me. Thanks though.
Old Jun 8, 2021, 7:07 am

Originally Posted by TerryK
That is why status match is great, especially if you have elite hotel/airline status and match to National's top tier (which can then be matched at Hertz). Hertz is the only travel entity I can think of where loyalty points/miles aren't given back to everyone in the event of a cancellation.
Old Jun 10, 2021, 6:29 am

Programs: UA 1K M, AA 2 MM PREM, AVIS First, HYATT Globalist, Marriott Lifetime Platinum., Hilton Gold.
Hertz has the WORST Customer Service/Phone reservations

Hertz by far is one of the worst companies with their phone reservations. You cannot book a car using points (online - you must call into the reservation center) and I have called three times and have gotten 'disconnected' from their phone shop in the Philippines.
They are using a very bad IVR where there is a delay and agents talk over you. After waiting 22 - 25 minutes each time, then giving them information for another 3-5 minutes, I have been 'disconnected.'

How do you make reservations using points with this kind of customer service?

Anyone here has another phone number, where I can call in the US, and talk to someone?

Thanks
Old Jun 10, 2021, 11:14 am
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
I merged the redemption question with the consolidated thread.

Thanks
Jason8612 Hertz Mod
Old Jun 10, 2021, 11:48 am

Programs: Marriott LTT, WN A, Hertz PC, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by ACC2008
Hertz by far is one of the worst companies with their phone reservations. You cannot book a car using points (online - you must call into the reservation center) and I have called three times and have gotten 'disconnected' from their phone shop in the Philippines.
They are using a very bad IVR where there is a delay and agents talk over you. After waiting 22 - 25 minutes each time, then giving them information for another 3-5 minutes, I have been 'disconnected.'

How do you make reservations using points with this kind of customer service?

Anyone here has another phone number, where I can call in the US, and talk to someone?

Thanks
Try to use the mobile app. I've noticed issues with making a points reservation on a laptop/PC but have no issues with the iOS app.
randix likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2021, 12:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
Can awards be given away? My points are expiring this month. I wrote to Hertz asking for an extension to 12/31/2021, the date that elites get an automatic extension, but no answer yet. It's been about 10 days. Maybe they will respond on Monday?

If they don't extend the expiration, I am willing to give away my awards rather than see my points go to zero. I wonder if anyone wants an award? If I give it to them, can it be under their name as the renter so if there are any excess charges, they will cover it?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.