Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Issue Using Hertz Points" Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2020, 8:53 am
Original Poster

Is anybody else having trouble redeeming points? I was hoping to rent a car for Halloween weekend and want to use some point points, but I keep getting this message: "There are no rewards currently available (based on your pick-up date, location or points total)." I've tried a couple of different NYC locations, selecting mid-size or full-size or premium to no avail. It's not an AnyDay period according to the website, but even those options SHOULD show up as I have plenty of points.

I searched and didn't see any threads on this.
Old Oct 21, 2020, 1:16 pm

Try to call Hertz and usually they can check availability & book it for you by phone.
Old Oct 23, 2020, 11:37 pm
Suspended

How the heck do you book an award on the Hertz.com redesign mess

I'm trying to book a rental car on Hertz.com with my points. It's been a while since I've booked one and it seems to have changed. I'm trying to book a car and use points and a few days out.

When i try to book I don't see an option for points or any notice that points aren't available. Anyone know how to actually book rewards on the new site?
Old Oct 24, 2020, 7:12 am

I had this issue. Turns out the location (inside a car dealership) was closed.
Old Oct 24, 2020, 8:46 am

I've been burning through my Hertz points since May/June, doing weekend award bookings(Friday-Monday) for 2500 points, mostly in Toronto area. Have burned through 30K points, have another 25K left to use. What I find is that the website is very inconsistent with award availability showing up during the booking process. Once I switch over to the mobile app, then it shows up. Try using the Apple/Android Hertz app for award booking.
Old Oct 24, 2020, 10:43 am
Suspended

The option doesn't even show up on the website. When I use the app, it doesn't show sedans, only their cars over $100 per day and 0 reward availability.

Used hertz for years with no issue. I'm guessing some idiot upper manager decided to break something that was working well to pad their resume.
Old Oct 25, 2020, 11:11 am

I did battle with this for a reservation in a few weeks out of SEA.

While I can't say with certainty, when I tried to make the reservation with cash, it showed a wide variety of cars available, all at (relatively) low prices. To *me*, at least, that makes me think there's pretty open availability and they'd be inclined to unload some rentals even at "saver" point rates.

But, as soon as I changed to "use points", nearly every car type became unavailable. When I chose one of the few remaining available cars, and clicked through, it said that points couldn't be used for that reservation. (At all - regardless of rate).

After playing with it for many minutes, I finally found that it would only allow to reserve one car type using points at SEA that day - a "small sedan" (or whatever they're calling it now).

I don't know if this is another example of poor Hertz IT, and an indication of a pending overhaul/devaluation of the points program, but it seems similar to the experience you're having.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Oct 25, 2020, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You need to call. Call Center can book point reservations over the phone. However, I have a really hard time trying to cancel point bookings. You may only want to book if you are really sure about your travel plan.
Auto Enthusiast and Ordpc like this.
Old Oct 26, 2020, 10:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Commie
Once I switch over to the mobile app, then it shows up. Try using the Apple/Android Hertz app for award booking.
Good tip. Options to book with points show up on the iOS app. But it's only showing AnyDay pricing (1500pts/day) even though my dates aren't on the AnyDay calendar. Grrr.
Old Oct 28, 2020, 12:00 pm

Programs: Marriott LTT, WN A, Hertz PC
Use the mobile app.

And yes if you cancel a points reservation and are not PC, you might lose some of your points:

If a reservation which was booked with points is cancelled within 24 hours of booking, all points will be returned to the members account. If a reservation which was booked using points is cancelled more than 24 hours before the pickup time the following points will be forfeited: If a Gold member, 50% of the points used toward the booking will be forfeited; If a Five Star member, 25% of the points used toward the booking will be forfeited; If a President’s Circle member, all points will be returned to the members account. If the customer does not cancel the reservation prior to the time of pick-up and the rental vehicle is not picked up on the rental date, all the points used toward the rental amount will be forfeited, regardless of the members tier status.
EDIflyer and jason8612 like this.
Old Oct 28, 2020, 12:42 pm
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
Since there has been a few threads started recently about redeeming Hertz points, I merged them all to one thread.

Thanks
Jason8612 Hertz Mod
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2020, 6:00 pm

Programs: Yes
Where can I book using points in the app? I want to offload my points.
Old Oct 29, 2020, 9:12 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by TerryK
You need to call. Call Center can book point reservations over the phone. However, I have a really hard time trying to cancel point bookings. You may only want to book if you are really sure about your travel plan.
It's supposed to be bookable via the website.
Old Oct 29, 2020, 3:28 pm

It's complete BS that you cant easily use points on the website. I'm going into ATL for business, as usual, so I don't need to use points, but I still saw the notice that none were available and I guarantees you hundreds of cars will be sitting there. Had to call to use some in FLL back in late June. Fix the damn website. You should not have to call into to book.
Old Oct 30, 2020, 9:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I have around 1000 points expiring in a month. I don't need a free day...I just want to transfer 500 miles to an airline. Terrible use of points I know... Is this still even possible? I cannot find any option to do this anymore...just a link to redeem points for "events" (), but the link doesn't go anywhere.

It's like they let junior high kids taking an intro to web design course run Hertz Rewards.

I guess my other option is to spend about $30 on a rental car, thereby saving the 1000 points. Used properly, I value my Hertz points enough where that makes sense. But it's just so frustrating dealing with this crap company anymore that I'm not sure I want to give them $30 on the hopes that their website will work a year from now when I want to redeem the free day.

I'm not phoning them. That's a non-starter. It's 2020, not 1995.
Boraxo and Presguy like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.