Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Issue Using Hertz Points" Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Issue Using Hertz Points" Thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2021, 7:57 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Was I not clear?

Sent a DM to Hertz via Twitter:

"When will award reservations using points be available for 2022? Right now there are NO award reservations at any location during 2022."

This was the response:

"Hi cblaisd, thanks for reaching out. Are you referring to booking with points?"

Again: Sigh
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2021, 8:52 pm

Same issue here. I called Hertz PC line and they told me to check again in January.
Old Oct 30, 2021, 8:09 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Anyone know what happens if you book a weekly rental using points, but then return the car early (into the daily, not weekly rate)? I realize I won't get any points back, but will the rental still be free?
Old Nov 2, 2021, 2:34 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

I continue to be SO impressed with Hertz' customer "service"

Email sent:

When will award reservations using points be available for 2022? Right now there are NO award reservations at any location during 2022. Thank you.

Email received in reply:

Thank you for your email. Unfortunately you have not provided your Gold Plus Rewards membership number, dates of rental or locations. You may be selecting dates that require AnyDay rewards. AnyDay Rewards are not subject to blackout periods and may be used during the busiest travel periods. Standard Rewards are available during all but the busiest travel periods and require fewer points to redeem than AnyDay Rewards. Please contact the reservation center as they have the up to date AnyDay Rewards calendar.

Please note, to reserve/modify/cancel a reservation or obtain information on rental qualifications, rates, vehicle types available, or locations, please call the Hertz Worldwide Reservations Center at 1-800-654-3131.

I appreciate this opportunity to provide assistance. Your business is appreciated and we look forward to being able to serve you again.

Sincerely,

XXX
Customer Correspondence Administrator

And back at them:

I am not asking about any particular award, whether Standard or AnyDay.

Rather I am saying that there are NO award reservations available at ANY location in 2022 of EITHER kind. The blackout calendar also show NO dates in 2022.

So... my question remains what I said: when will Hertz make available award reservations at all in 2022?

Please escalate this to a supervisor.

Thank you.
Old Nov 4, 2021, 11:30 am

And another helpful response from Hertz....

DM sent via Twitter:

Still waiting for a response to my question sent to you TEN days ago: "When will award reservations using points be available for 2022? Right now there are NO award reservations at any location during 2022."

And an almost funny response. Who writes their boilerplate???

Thank you for providing me with that vital information. Please allow my team some time to review this case for you and further advise. Your patience and cooperation is greatly appreciated.
Old Nov 23, 2021, 8:02 am

Responding to an old thread since I encountered the same problem. However, this is limited to North America and Canada only. I can still find plenty of award availability in March 2022 at European destinations like Frankfurt or Amsterdam. So it's definitely not a general block on bookings for the next calendar year.

My guess is this is a very conscious decision in line with the still shockingly high rental prices in the US/Canada, whereas nearly every European country has returned to pre-covid pricing.
Auto Enthusiast and rwllr like this.
Old Jan 11, 2022, 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by themicah
Is anybody else having trouble redeeming points? I was hoping to rent a car for Halloween weekend and want to use some point points, but I keep getting this message: "There are no rewards currently available (based on your pick-up date, location or points total)." I've tried a couple of different NYC locations, selecting mid-size or full-size or premium to no avail. It's not an AnyDay period according to the website, but even those options SHOULD show up as I have plenty of points.

I searched and didn't see any threads on this.
After months of trying multiple days and reading through these threads, I was finally able to book with points and this is how I did it. I went to the Hertz site, instead of searching right on the homepage I hovered over the "rent" tab and selected "rent a car near me". I noticed I wasn't logged in (it kicked me off) so I logged in and then repeated the above step to get me back to a page that looked more like the old site.

I had already confirmed that my location did not have blackout dates so I navigated to it, selected my dates and then clicked on the "discount" box which is where I found the option to check the box called " Use My Hertz Gold Plus Rewards Points" **note this box would not show up if you went to the traditional website and just tried to book a car off the homepage** The first time I did this, there was no "continue" button - I refreshed the page and it populated. Then it took me through the same steps, chose "leisure trip", chose my car, went to review and the drop down to use my free day was FINALLY THERE!

I swear this couldn't have been harder. If this post helps at least 1 person, then it will have been worth it. Hope it does!
3544quebec, Tanic, Boraxo and 2 others like this.
Old Jan 15, 2022, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Award cancellation penalty for President's Circle members?>

Originally Posted by TerryK
Cancellation penalty has been around for a few years. There are several threads complaining about it. It has no effect on PC members.
So if I'm a President's Circle member, I can cancel award reservations without penalty?

Hertz's is my least favorite (and used) major car rental company, but I bought a bunch of points in Daily Getaways a couple years ago to redeem for one-way rentals. Due to rate hikes on my corporate codes at Hertz's competitors, the Hertz one-ways are now more valuable to me and I want to use them now (especially since published rates are sky-high). But I'm usually dissuaded from using my Hertz points because the cancellation policy is so onerous (why you would impose the most severe cancellation restrictions on your most loyal customers remains astonishing to me). But if status match PC does the trick, I'd be golden..

UPDATE: Applied for the status match -- even on a Saturday it only took a couple hours for them to upgrade me. I couldn't find a direct link on the website to the no-cancellation-fee-for-PCs, but I did google this page, which I assume is still accurate.
https://images.hertz.com/pdfs/0519-GPR-Point-Usage-TCs.pdf

Last edited by iahphx; Jan 15, 2022 at 7:19 pm
Old Jan 20, 2022, 1:27 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by iahphx
So if I'm a President's Circle member, I can cancel award reservations without penalty?

Hertz's is my least favorite (and used) major car rental company, but I bought a bunch of points in Daily Getaways a couple years ago to redeem for one-way rentals. Due to rate hikes on my corporate codes at Hertz's competitors, the Hertz one-ways are now more valuable to me and I want to use them now (especially since published rates are sky-high). But I'm usually dissuaded from using my Hertz points because the cancellation policy is so onerous (why you would impose the most severe cancellation restrictions on your most loyal customers remains astonishing to me). But if status match PC does the trick, I'd be golden..

UPDATE: Applied for the status match -- even on a Saturday it only took a couple hours for them to upgrade me. I couldn't find a direct link on the website to the no-cancellation-fee-for-PCs, but I did google this page, which I assume is still accurate.
https://images.hertz.com/pdfs/0519-G...-Usage-TCs.pdf
Yes, you can cancel without penalty, although I believe you need to give 24 hours notice to get your points back. As long as you do that, Pres Circle members get 100% points back immediately upon cancellation.
Old Jan 20, 2022, 4:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
Yes, you can cancel without penalty, although I believe you need to give 24 hours notice to get your points back. As long as you do that, Pres Circle members get 100% points back immediately upon cancellation.
That's the correct rules but you likely need to call in practice. Recredit of points often doesn't work automatically.
iahphx and Auto Enthusiast like this.
Old Jan 20, 2022, 9:40 am

Originally Posted by TerryK
That's the correct rules but you likely need to call in practice. Recredit of points often doesn't work automatically.
I've never had to call and always gotten my points back immediately, automatically. Based on what you're saying ymmv. Either way, you'll get your points back.
iahphx and Tanic like this.
Old Jan 20, 2022, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, AS MVP, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Has anyone had success with the telephone rez center or do you get the same BS about blackout dates apply 24/7/365?

My last activity was 9/6/20 (ironic it was a rent-to-own for the car I bought) so I'm nearing the 18-month mark.

Originally Posted by Vanlop
After months of trying multiple days and reading through these threads, I was finally able to book with points and this is how I did it. I went to the Hertz site, instead of searching right on the homepage I hovered over the "rent" tab and selected "rent a car near me". I noticed I wasn't logged in (it kicked me off) so I logged in and then repeated the above step to get me back to a page that looked more like the old site.

I had already confirmed that my location did not have blackout dates so I navigated to it, selected my dates and then clicked on the "discount" box which is where I found the option to check the box called " Use My Hertz Gold Plus Rewards Points" **note this box would not show up if you went to the traditional website and just tried to book a car off the homepage** The first time I did this, there was no "continue" button - I refreshed the page and it populated. Then it took me through the same steps, chose "leisure trip", chose my car, went to review and the drop down to use my free day was FINALLY THERE!

I swear this couldn't have been harder. If this post helps at least 1 person, then it will have been worth it. Hope it does!
How did you validate the blackout dates (or lack thereof)? All my local offices have zero availability anytime.

Last edited by Boraxo; Jan 20, 2022 at 11:57 am
Old Jan 20, 2022, 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by Boraxo
Has anyone had success with the telephone rez center or do you get the same BS about blackout dates apply 24/7/365?

My last activity was 9/6/20 (ironic it was a rent-to-own for the car I bought) so I'm nearing the 18-month mark.

How did you validate the blackout dates (or lack thereof)? All my local offices have zero availability anytime.
I booked a 2 week free rental yesterday at an HLE for the standard rate (7,500). No blackout dates, NY area. Perhaps some HLEs close up standard but not all.
Old Jan 21, 2022, 6:54 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanuim/Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Gold, United Silver
I tried for the last 2 years to book a rental using my points. Each time getting the error message that no points were available or only letting me book for 2 or 3 days of a week rental. Now since it is over 18 months since my last rental all my points are gone.
Old Jan 21, 2022, 7:39 pm

Did you ever call and try to do a reservation that way?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.