Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Issue Using Hertz Points" Thread

Consolidated "Issue Using Hertz Points" Thread

Old Nov 7, 2020, 2:14 am

Originally Posted by pinniped
I have around 1000 points expiring in a month. I don't need a free day...I just want to transfer 500 miles to an airline. Terrible use of points I know... Is this still even possible? I cannot find any option to do this anymore...just a link to redeem points for "events" (), but the link doesn't go anywhere.

It's like they let junior high kids taking an intro to web design course run Hertz Rewards.

I guess my other option is to spend about $30 on a rental car, thereby saving the 1000 points. Used properly, I value my Hertz points enough where that makes sense. But it's just so frustrating dealing with this crap company anymore that I'm not sure I want to give them $30 on the hopes that their website will work a year from now when I want to redeem the free day.

I'm not phoning them. That's a non-starter. It's 2020, not1995.
I have the exact same problem: points expiring in 24h, and I cannot find where on the website I can transfer these points to an airline or hotel partner.
Can anyone help us ?
Old Nov 7, 2020, 4:17 am
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

Originally Posted by koopa
I have the exact same problem: points expiring in 24h, and I cannot find where on the website I can transfer these points to an airline or hotel partner.
Can anyone help us ?
Due to the Hertz bankruptcy, the company has suspended all transfers of Hertz Gold Rewards points to airline/hotel partners. You'll need to either use the points on a Hertz rental or rent with them to reset the expiration date, otherwise, they will expire.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2020, 4:41 pm

Programs: UA Premier Silver, AA, DL, IHG Diamond Amb, Marriott Silver, Hilton Silver, National
Originally Posted by Fred Garvin
It's complete BS that you cant easily use points on the website. I'm going into ATL for business, as usual, so I don't need to use points, but I still saw the notice that none were available and I guarantees you hundreds of cars will be sitting there. Had to call to use some in FLL back in late June. Fix the damn website. You should not have to call into to book.
I was having the same problem, and after a bunch of clicking around, finally found the "use points" option. Go to the reservation page, then click on the "discount code" box. A popup box will appear for discount codes, etc, and at the top of the box will be a checkbox for "Use My Hertz Gold Plus Reward Points." Check the box, select your car, and then when you get to the checkout/method of payment page, it will ask you how many days/points you want to use. Hope this helps.
Old Nov 8, 2020, 10:23 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, WN A-List Preferred, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz President's Circle
Hmmm...this doesn't show up for me. Only my usual USAA and AAA discounts show up in the drop down. Is that the correct place to look - the discounts?
Old Nov 8, 2020, 11:21 pm

Programs: UA Premier Silver, AA, DL, IHG Diamond Amb, Marriott Silver, Hilton Silver, National
Originally Posted by melissaru
Hmmm...this doesn't show up for me. Only my usual USAA and AAA discounts show up in the drop down. Is that the correct place to look - the discounts?
Yes. The option to use Hertz Gold Plus Rewards Points is the first thing at the top of the box. It's definitely there, just checked once again. See attached pic:
Ordpc likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2020, 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by bob12403
Yes. The option to use Hertz Gold Plus Rewards Points is the first thing at the top of the box. It's definitely there, just checked once again. See attached pic:
The option to use my Hertz reward points does not show up for me as wel.
Old Dec 15, 2020, 7:03 am

Originally Posted by elexhobby
The option to use my Hertz reward points does not show up for me as wel.
It appears they've redone the reservation portion of the website since my last post. Now to book with points, go through the reservation process by entering location, dates, etc, pick a car, choose any extras, and then when you get to the checkout page you will see "Payment Information". If you're logged in to your account, you should see your registered credit card, and under that is the option to Pay With Points. Can't miss it.
Old Dec 15, 2020, 9:26 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Thanks for posting the updated information; I tried redeeming points about a week ago and it was a total mess on the older website workflow. I went in just now and it worked fine. As an aside, I tried booking a points reservation a few minutes ago using the iOS Mobile App and got the "you do not have enough points" error message.
Old Dec 16, 2020, 2:45 pm

So is there nothing to be done for those of us who cannot currently travel due to age and health conditions and have points expiring this month? I was saving up for a weekly rental and was almost there before Covid hit. I had assumed that if I could not earn enough points for the weekly rental, I would just transfer my points to an airline. but I have now learned that option has been eliminated. There is no Hertz car rental within 45 minutes of my house so that is not an option either. I was a loyal Hertz customer, and understand they are in bankruptcy, but how do they expect to survive bankruptcy if they treat their customers so poorly? I've tried calling and emailing, to no avail. Any suggestions?
Old Dec 16, 2020, 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
Thanks for posting the updated information; I tried redeeming points about a week ago and it was a total mess on the older website workflow. I went in just now and it worked fine. As an aside, I tried booking a points reservation a few minutes ago using the iOS Mobile App and got the "you do not have enough points" error message.
Glad I could help. FWIW, I just tried making a dummy booking using the iOS Mobile App with points and had no problem. OTOH, even though the app correctly tells me I had one rental this year, when I try to look at the details of my activity, it tells me there hasn't been any activity. Go figure....
Old Dec 16, 2020, 7:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by sharonsimon
So is there nothing to be done for those of us who cannot currently travel due to age and health conditions and have points expiring this month? I was saving up for a weekly rental and was almost there before Covid hit. I had assumed that if I could not earn enough points for the weekly rental, I would just transfer my points to an airline. but I have now learned that option has been eliminated. There is no Hertz car rental within 45 minutes of my house so that is not an option either. I was a loyal Hertz customer, and understand they are in bankruptcy, but how do they expect to survive bankruptcy if they treat their customers so poorly? I've tried calling and emailing, to no avail. Any suggestions?
I lost my points last month.

I will be incredibly unlikely to a car from Hertz or any of their other brands ever again. I realize this may not be possible because of all the consolidation, but I will work hard to avoid it. Since Hertz is never the cheapest, and Alamo is typically more reliable among the "usually cheaper" brands, I think I can avoid them.

I have literally hundreds of lifetime Hertz rentals. Probably 500+, counting up all the years I regularly had 50+ a year. They used to be a good company with good cars. Now they're Comcast to me.
Old Dec 17, 2020, 9:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K, TK E+, AS MVPG, SPG&Marriott Plat, HHD, Hertz PC
I had to call to make a resy with points last week. It wouldn't work online. Just a data point.
Old Jan 5, 2021, 1:22 pm

Book with points

They still allow this for a one-way? I can't seem to find how to do this on the website or the app.

???????????????????????????
Old Jan 5, 2021, 9:57 pm
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
Originally Posted by CarlosRodrigue
They still allow this for a one-way? I can't seem to find how to do this on the website or the app.

???????????????????????????
I went ahead and merged this question with the consolidated thread.

Thanks
Jason8612 Hertz Mod
Old Jan 6, 2021, 10:45 am

Programs: Don't think it matters...
Originally Posted by mdbe
I had to call to make a resy with points last week. It wouldn't work online. Just a data point.
Originally Posted by bob12403
It appears they've redone the reservation portion of the website since my last post. Now to book with points, go through the reservation process by entering location, dates, etc, pick a car, choose any extras, and then when you get to the checkout page you will see "Payment Information". If you're logged in to your account, you should see your registered credit card, and under that is the option to Pay With Points. Can't miss it.
Trying to book with points and regardless of what I select, I get the message under payment options "You do not have enough points or this location is not accepting points".
Is this a common message since I have enough points and I seem to recall booking thru this location with points.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.