Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Issue Using Hertz Points" Thread

Old Jun 14, 2021, 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by Toshbaf
Can awards be given away? My points are expiring this month. I wrote to Hertz asking for an extension to 12/31/2021, the date that elites get an automatic extension, but no answer yet. It's been about 10 days. Maybe they will respond on Monday?

If they don't extend the expiration, I am willing to give away my awards rather than see my points go to zero. I wonder if anyone wants an award? If I give it to them, can it be under their name as the renter so if there are any excess charges, they will cover it?
Apparently you can transfer points to another member of the Hertz program if they share your address:

https://www.hertz.ca/rentacar/misc/i...e=GPR_FAQs.jsp
Ordpc likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2021, 8:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
Originally Posted by YYZC2
Apparently you can transfer points to another member of the Hertz program if they share your address:

https://www.hertz.ca/rentacar/misc/i...e=GPR_FAQs.jsp
Thank you. Hertz.com also says something similar. However, you can't give the award to a parent or adult child like you can with many airline frequent flyer awards consisting of a flight. You could probably add them as an additional driver but not make a reservation for them and pay for it with points.
Old Jun 15, 2021, 9:08 am

Location: STL, MO-US and A , SWA A-List, Marriott LTTE, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
I just called and tried to reserve a car using points(3750 one week rental) and was told the dates were listed as blacked out at this location(STL) which is complete BS, there is nothing going on in St Louis next week(or ever)
Old Jun 15, 2021, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by ALARISstl
I just called and tried to reserve a car using points(3750 one week rental) and was told the dates were listed as blacked out at this location(STL) which is complete BS, there is nothing going on in St Louis next week(or ever)
I'm finding that a bunch of locations (one near Trenton, NJ, a suburban Philly HLE, and MSP airport) are "blacking out" mid June through early August, including ones that definitely have nothing going on. I assume this is driven by the short supply of vehicles. Oddly, one blacked out location (the suburban Philly HLE) allowed me to book using the lower number of points, while the other (Trenton, NJ) did not.
Auto Enthusiast and Ordpc like this.
Old Jun 15, 2021, 7:57 pm

Originally Posted by ALARISstl
I recently dealt with a Hertz phone rep who attempted to book me a car using my points, ran into an error message of unknown origin at the last stage and instead of troubleshooting the problem, simply told me the computer wouldnít book it and asked me if he could help me with anything elseÖ I asked him to seek help from someone more familiar with the system after which he put me on hold for twenty minutes at which point he disconnected the call.

If I wasnít so angry Iíd almost be impressed.
Old Jul 5, 2021, 12:33 am

It happened again

Originally Posted by jogaja
I tried to recently redeem points for a oneway trip for two days. I could not book this online and i did this via phone. So the agent confirmed that it will be 3000 points and around $18 in taxes i have to pay. But to my surprise, I noticed that 6000 points have been deducted. I called them again and agent told they will reinstate 3000 points back. And again to my surprise , they have reinstated all my 6000 points back. And my reservation was still showing my estimated bill around $18. And another surprise when i actually took the car. When they handed me over the hard copy estimate while picking up the car, it showed $0. And that's what I paid while I returned the car. 0$ and no points deducted. But I waited around 3-4 hours on the call while booking and rebooking.
This time I booked for 11 days and used points for 1 week. So my total estimated charges were $300. I returned the car on the 10th day around 11.30pm, so there were noone to close the contract at that time. After two days i received the bill for only around $70 - all were taxes. The receipt showed my return date 4 days earlier than my actual return date, so that my total rental duration is only 1 week which is fully covered by the points. Lets assume i had a stop sign or a traffic violation between the 8th and 11th day of my usage, I can basically prove i was not having the car with me at that time
Old Jul 5, 2021, 7:24 am

Iím running into a major airport that says it is not accepting points (MSP) for a reservation next June. I have enough points for a rental. Iím guessing they donít open points reservations until they set their blackout calendar for the year.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2021, 10:36 am

Programs: UA Premier Silver, AA, DL, IHG Diamond Amb, Marriott Silver, Hilton Silver, National
I have Hertz points that will expire in April 2022. I want to book now for a one-week rental in May 2022 (if available.)

1. If I successfully book a May rental prior to April 2022, do I need to have activity between booking and the May rental to keep the points alive for May?
2. If no activity is needed prior to the rental, but I cancel the reservation after the April expiration, I assume I will lose all the points, correct?
Old Jul 5, 2021, 10:43 am

Programs: UA Premier Silver, AA, DL, IHG Diamond Amb, Marriott Silver, Hilton Silver, National
Originally Posted by MASTERNC
That is why status match is great, especially if you have elite hotel/airline status and match to National's top tier (which can then be matched at Hertz). Hertz is the only travel entity I can think of where loyalty points/miles aren't given back to everyone in the event of a cancellation.
Thanks for this info, had no idea about the status match from programs other than car rentals. I'm going to take your advice and apply for a status match from IHG Spire to National, and then hopefully to Hertz. My IHG status is good through January 2022. If National does a status match, will that expire when my IHG status expires? Same question for Hertz--will their status expire when/if my National status expires?

Last edited by bob12403; Jul 5, 2021 at 4:23 pm
Old Jul 9, 2021, 10:35 am

Tried booking with points for next spring break. Still getting an error that a major airport isnít accepting points.

I reached out to Hertz on Twitter and, after a lot of back and forth, was finally told you can only book rewards reservations for the current calendar year (unlike virtually any other travel provider, such as an airline or hotel). I guess they need to set the blackout dates. Only workaround is to book post-pay cash reservations and see if you can change to points after the new year.
randix, Auto Enthusiast and Ordpc like this.

Last edited by MASTERNC; Jul 9, 2021 at 11:58 am
Old Sep 24, 2021, 7:38 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, UA Mileage Plus, IHG Rewards Club
Originally Posted by Marko123
Try to use the mobile app. I've noticed issues with making a points reservation on a laptop/PC but have no issues with the iOS app.
I downloaded the iOS app but I'm having trouble seeing where I could click on to make a points reservation. Would you know where I'd go to do that? I'd really appreciate it if you could point me to the right direction!
Marko123 likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2021, 11:25 am

Programs: Marriott LTT, WN A, Hertz PC, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by Quarantine
I downloaded the iOS app but I'm having trouble seeing where I could click on to make a points reservation. Would you know where I'd go to do that? I'd really appreciate it if you could point me to the right direction!
It's at the very end right before you click Reserve. Hopefully this screenshot helps.

Old Oct 25, 2021, 9:31 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite

Looking at trying for a 5 day points redemption beginning February 16 at PHX, ABQ, ELP, or RNO (including trying some HLE's). The cost for a midsize (with hopes to use President's Circle to get a small SUV) is ridiculous and no point redemptions available. (And I can't find a 2022 blackout calendar online)
Old Oct 25, 2021, 11:12 am

You can only book rewards reservations in tor rentals in the current calendar year, according to Hertz. I had the same problem when trying to book for next summer. I guess they haven't worked out their "peak" pricing calendar yet.
Old Oct 25, 2021, 2:41 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Why am I not surprised? Sigh.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.