Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Hertz Vehicle Upgrades and Experiences for Elites Master Thread and Guide

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hertz Vehicle Upgrades and Experiences for Elites Master Thread and Guide

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2019, 1:39 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
PWM
Reserved: SCAR
Assigned: 2019 Hyundai Sonata
Received: 2019 Dodge Charger R/T

I arrived at 10:30 PM and was told they had given away the Sonata and were going to have to give me something else. I protested the Charger as I was going to be driving over 400 miles and wanted the Sonata's gas mileage. The agent assured me the Charger got the same. When I got to the garage I found it was an R/T so I ended up with 24 MPG instead of 37+. It is what it is, but I really don't like being lied to.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 2:41 pm

I'm surprised a small airport would have such a car. In my experience, it's usually the big snazzy locations that have lots of competition and need to impress the high rollers that have all the best stuff. Just curious, did the car have out of state plates? There's natural traffic between Maine and Boston, for instance, which would fit that criteria.
m907 likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 2:28 am

Originally Posted by CMK10
PWM
Reserved: SCAR
Assigned: 2019 Hyundai Sonata
Received: 2019 Dodge Charger R/T

I arrived at 10:30 PM and was told they had given away the Sonata and were going to have to give me something else. I protested the Charger as I was going to be driving over 400 miles and wanted the Sonata's gas mileage. The agent assured me the Charger got the same. When I got to the garage I found it was an R/T so I ended up with 24 MPG instead of 37+. It is what it is, but I really don't like being lied to.
For such a short trip, the reduced gas mileage probably only cost you $10 or $15. And Sonatas struggle to reach the EPA estimates on highways because those are based on 60 mph and you're going faster than that on most interstates.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 7:41 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards, Hertz Gold
MKE (Milwaukee, Wisconsin)
Reserved: Premium G PCar, prepaid, reserved through Hertz w/AAA discount
Received: 2019 Kia Sportage B4 CFar

I don't think this was an upgrade. Only nice thing I can say about the Kia was it got 34 MPG on the highway.

Second time in less than a year my name wasn't even on the board. Bored booth person found my reservation and said I could take 'anything in the gold lot.' All a bunch of roller skates, I had 400 miles to go that evening.

Last July, I arrived in MKE with my name on the board; walked over to the area and it was completely empty. I was told I could take anything; only 2 cars available were a Nissan Altima or a very sad looking minivan with a low tire. I took the Nissan.

I'm getting tired of Milwaukee. Not the airport (it's great!) but Hertz.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 8:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, SIXT Platinum, Hertz PC, Marriott Gold
Ams
Reserved U

we will see what she will get.......
21 days @$454
Old Jul 23, 2019, 5:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Auto Enthusiast
I'm surprised a small airport would have such a car. In my experience, it's usually the big snazzy locations that have lots of competition and need to impress the high rollers that have all the best stuff. Just curious, did the car have out of state plates? There's natural traffic between Maine and Boston, for instance, which would fit that criteria.
It was indeed out of state, somewhere in the south (Tennessee maybe?).
Old Jul 26, 2019, 8:44 am

Programs: VCU
RIC (Richmond, VA), but rented at the HLE a mile from where I live.

Reserved FCAR, had a 300S available, but saw a X3 pull in as the agent was doing an inspection. Asked to get into that one instead, $25 upcharge. $56 total. Why not?

Rent there twice a week, they are pretty good about putting me in “fun” cars people seem to bring in from one-way rentals. Normally they don’t do an upcharge if moving from an F to an L, but I think this one is a T4 or something.

Two rentals away from hitting Five-Star.

Last edited by AntonyH; Jul 26, 2019 at 8:49 am Reason: Added FR status
Old Jul 26, 2019, 4:43 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by CMK10
It was indeed out of state, somewhere in the south (Tennessee maybe?).
Blount County, Tennessee? If so, the car isn't actually from there. Hertz registers all of the cars they can there, because the county has very low registration and plate transfer fees. As I recall, Hertz even paid to add a staffer at the DMV just to handle their volume.
Auto Enthusiast and m907 like this.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 10:49 pm

One of my recent points rentals last month was from CAE to AGS. A few hours in advance, I got an email saying my assigned car is a 2017 Nissan Altima with 42k mi and TN plates. And a red key chain, too. Yuck.

(Premium was not a reservable class at CAE. If only I had a National 1-2 Free bonus day, I could have swapped the contract from CLT I did with a regular free day. Even for a small location, the choice aisles seemed surprisingly stocked with good stuff.)

Interesting that this time, I don't think it said Blount County. But, in the glove box, I did find a Certificate of Self-Insurance...from PA. I suspect that's where the car was originally from, may have failed the normal turnback process or such, and was re-registered in the cheapest location possible for its 2nd (and hopefully last) year in service.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 6:03 pm

BOI. Arrived to find my contract already ready to go. I was on a FCAR reservation and they asked if I wanted a Grand Cherokee. I said I preferred sedans and they offered an Optima or a Malibu. I ended up taking the Grand Cherokee which was 2019 Trailhawk with 7,000 miles and XM. Nice car to only drive 18 miles in
Old Aug 5, 2019, 8:11 am

Programs: virgin
MAD - Madrid airport. 2 weeks rental.
Booked mid level wagon, Hertz website image was of a black Subaru Outback, and it was... a black Subaru Outback. (8k km)
$220/week. $440 total rental. A terrific deal in high summer season for a family touring North Spain.

No PC upgrade, but very happy with the rental.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 3:04 pm

MLU - FCAR Reservation.

Arrived to find the contract ready to go. I was given a 2019 Explorer XLT with 9,000 miles and Sirius XM. Definitely not my favorite car to drive even if it was an "upgrade". Still, fleets at small airports are not big so it was fine for what it was.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 9:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by cestmoi123
Blount County, Tennessee? If so, the car isn't actually from there. Hertz registers all of the cars they can there, because the county has very low registration and plate transfer fees. As I recall, Hertz even paid to add a staffer at the DMV just to handle their volume.
Similarly, I believe all (or at least most) Hertz cars registered in Texas are registered in Bexar County.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 3:47 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
MUC
Rented A - an spec Opel Adam (46€), because even a B was 210€ for one day.
Got a BMW 118i auto (Group M5).
Old Sep 2, 2019, 9:13 am

Programs: too many
NTE
Reserved: CWMR 308SW or similar Group D
Assigned: 2018 Ford Focus Group D
Received: 2018 Ford Focus Group D
Arrived in Nantes to only have the choice between a Fiat Tipo, a Renault Kadjar and the C-max I got assigned - All vehicles were petrol and I chose the C-max, the least crap of the 3 cars...oh boy, I was unimpressed. 30k km, 7.5L per 100km.

The C-max is definitely not an estate, more like an MPV, I cannot fathom why this vehicle is in that class...

Last edited by ng1265; Sep 5, 2019 at 2:42 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.