Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Hertz Vehicle Upgrades and Experiences for Elites Master Thread and Guide

Hertz Vehicle Upgrades and Experiences for Elites Master Thread and Guide

Old Sep 4, 2019, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by ng1265
The focus is definitely not an estate, more like an MPV, I cannot fathom why this vehicle is in that class...
Don't you mean the C-Max?
Old Sep 5, 2019, 2:42 am

Programs: too many
Originally Posted by clubman
Don't you mean the C-Max?
Yes, C-max not Focus, thanks for pointing it out! Corrected in my post
Old Sep 15, 2019, 2:59 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
JAN
Prepaid FCAR
PC
Contract was not ready when I arrived and their system had some issues so I had to actually swipe my CC. No choice of vehicle, I was given a 2019 Kia Optima with 27,000 miles and non-working XM. Pretty ho hum but it's a smaller station.
Old Sep 15, 2019, 7:28 pm

MAD (Madrid Barajas)
PC
Reserved: CBMR, Group O, Premium - Mini One, Manual
Carfirmation: Mini Cooper Convertible, Automatic

There was no way we could get into it with car seat and 3 carry ons (trunks fits two carry on bags with roof up, and one with roof down), so asked for something bigger.

'Something bigger' appeared to be largest car they had in a lot:

Group S6, Subaru Outback 2.5 AWD, Automatic, Leather

The other option was 4-door Mini Cooper.

At first was terrified with the fuel consumption at 1,30 EUR/liter and parking, but took Subaru anyway. Got about 25 mpg after all in it.
Old Sep 15, 2019, 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by peegeenyc
MAD - Madrid airport. 2 weeks rental.
Booked mid level wagon, Hertz website image was of a black Subaru Outback, and it was... a black Subaru Outback. (8k km)
$220/week. $440 total rental. A terrific deal in high summer season for a family touring North Spain.

No PC upgrade, but very happy with the rental.
LOL seems I got the same car as you had
Old Sep 18, 2019, 4:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
MLU
SCAR
PC
My second time here and second time with an SUV upgrade. I was given a Ford Escape SEL with leather seats and Sirius XM and 11,000 miles on the clock. It worked well for my trip though it's a pretty gutless car. I hadn't driven one in about ten years and it reminds me a lot of my old Focus and not in a good way.
Old Sep 29, 2019, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Luxury Sport vs Full Elite

Have an upcoming one week paid rental at a non-UC location and am wondering whether to rebook an existing "Luxury Sport" (G4 LSAR) reservation to "Full Size Elite" for a total of about $40 more.

I lucked out this summer with a fantastic upgrade as PC at a non-UC location where I received a new BMW 530i for a week on a G/Premium points rental. Wouldn't mind getting another 5er or Jaguar.

Wonder if I should cancel and rebook to maximize chances of getting a great car?
Old Oct 1, 2019, 6:36 am

NTE
PC
Reserved : LDAR, Mercedes E-class or similar
Assigned: PDAR Audi A4
Took: PDAR Lexus IS

The category was not available so the station manager had downgraded us to the below category, and tried to upsell us another premium category (Premium SUV - DS7 crossback).
We didn't take the bait and only realised it at the car park that the category was lower than booked. The agents at the car park were as helpful as possible, but could not get the car from the initial category.
Int the end, we took the "Sportiest" of the cars offered (Had the choice between the A4, the Lexus IS, and the DS7 crossback.)
Old Oct 2, 2019, 10:14 am

NTE
Reserved: CWMR 308SW or similar Group D
Assigned: 2018 Ford Focus Group D
Received: 2018 Ford Focus Group D
Arrived in Nantes to only have the choice between a Fiat Tipo, a Renault Kadjar and the C-max I got assigned - All vehicles were petrol and I chose the C-max, the least crap of the 3 cars...oh boy, I was unimpressed. 30k km, 7.5L per 100km.

The C-max is definitely not an estate, more like an MPV, I cannot fathom why this vehicle is in that class...
Following this rental which had other issues (broken baby seat and winter tires in summer), I've received a mail from CS, with 500 points in my account as compensation....
Old Oct 2, 2019, 7:26 pm

Programs: QF, KLM, BA
I've just received a Gold Plus Rewards Five Star card. It's the first time I've ever had a loyalty card from a car rental company as I've previously booked through booking sites.

It's issued in Australia and has contact numbers for here and some Asian countries. The letter that came with it said that I was eligible for a free upgrade on bookings. I'm looking at booking a car in Aberdeen, Scotland in May, and I was wondering if that free upgrade would apply there. How does the upgrading actually work. I know it excludes being upgraded to premium models. Is the upgrade based on what's available on the day when I turn up? Or is it somehow flagged on their reservation system that the vehicle is to be upgraded?
Old Oct 17, 2019, 10:43 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
NYC HLE (403 Lafayette)

Reserved: F
Received: 2019 Q4 Jeep Cherokee AWD Limited. MA plates, 12,500 miles on the odometer and disabled Sirius/XM.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 5:17 pm

Grand Cayman International Airport (GCM)
Reserved: FCAR
At first I was offered a Chevy Tahoe but I said I didn't want something so big. Ended up with a Kia Sportage with 48,000 miles and the steering wheel on the right side. No key fob either.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 5:48 am

NTE
PC
Reserved : LDAR, Mercedes E-class or similar
Assigned: PDAR Audi A4
Took: PDAR Lexus IS

The category was not available so the station manager had downgraded us to the below category, and tried to upsell us another premium category (Premium SUV - DS7 crossback).
We didn't take the bait and only realised it at the car park that the category was lower than booked. The agents at the car park were as helpful as possible, but could not get the car from the initial category.
Int the end, we took the "Sportiest" of the cars offered (Had the choice between the A4, the Lexus IS, and the DS7 crossback.)
Well, it took Hertz CS a month to make a 30€ refund as it was the difference between the two cars reserved.
I'm going with Avis at this location for my next rental (same category was 160€ cheaper at Avis vs Hertz, so a no-brainer), let's see how it goes.
From now on, regardless of the company, I'm applying the "two strikes in a row": a mistake happens, fine, but on the second try if a station is unable to deliver, I'll switch.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
If anything the Audi is sportier than the Lexus (note "sportier" but not sporty).
Old Nov 13, 2019, 3:27 am

Originally Posted by clubman
If anything the Audi is sportier than the Lexus (note "sportier" but not sporty).
Good to know! I've never driven an Audi, but my brother did, and felt it was too smooth for driving. Since both were in the same class we took the Lexus

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.