Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Hertz Vehicle Upgrades and Experiences for Elites Master Thread and Guide

Hertz Vehicle Upgrades and Experiences for Elites Master Thread and Guide

Old Apr 10, 2020, 8:31 am

Programs: Hertz PC, National Exec Elite
PIT HLE (Baum Blvd)

Reserved: F / Fullsize
Received: I / Luxury - Chrysler 300S with 19k miles. There were two Malibus in the HLE lot so I was pretty happy with what they gave me.
Old Apr 24, 2020, 12:09 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Newport News Airport (PHF)
One way to RDU
FCAR Reservation

I received a 2020 Land Rover Evoque with 2,000 miles AND Sirius XM. Best PC upgrade I've gotten in four years at that status level.
Old May 25, 2020, 7:33 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Lincoln, NE Airport (LNK)
SCAR Reservation

The agent asked "small SUV okay?" and I said yes figuring it would be an Escape. I ended up in a God Awful Buick Encore with 31,900 miles. One of the worst rental cars I've ever had. Next time I'll double check what I'm getting.
Auto Enthusiast and KenTarmac like this.
Old Jun 8, 2020, 5:02 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
NYC HLE (403 Lafayette)

Reserved: C
Received: F6 2019 Toyota Camry LE with Florida plates and 28,000 miles on the odometer. There was some strange paint blisters on the front end and it needed a brake job, but was otherwise ok and very miserly on gas.
Old Jul 16, 2020, 12:18 pm

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, Avis Preferred Plus, Amex Plat
Washington (in the North East of England, not DC!)

Status 5*
Reserved Group A - Fiat 500 or similar
Received - Fiat 500

I didn't push for an upgrade as I don't need anything bigger, and it was a new* car with Apple CarPlay.

*I say new. 2019, but only 3000 miles on it, thanks to COVID.
Old Oct 13, 2020, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Two rentals, one car. Presidents Circle.

Rental #1 , one-way LEX-CHA
Reserved: I
Assigned: X6 (Mexican Benz A220)

(I've had good luck at this station with OW rentals. Seems LEX winds up with decent vehicles that need to be sent home. A RT rental right before this one, on the other hand, got this PC nothing better than a really dirty Jetta with non-functioning Bluetooth)

Rental #2 , RT at CHA
Reserved: C
Assigned: Not sure. I arrived at the facility late after my reservation timed out so whatever they preassigned me wasn't what I drove.
Rented: Same car as OW above. When I made it to the airport to close out my one-way rental I asked if they would let me keep the same car for the new rental. Request honored with no problem.

I've grown to like the MB A-Class. Decent car for what it is. I would prefer a BMW style selector knob for the MFD rather than MB's trackpad approach but at least it's not touchscreen only. I wish it did not have a panoramic moonroof. Bluetooth phone connectivity a bit glitchy on this particular one but getting an A220 rather than standard Hertz "luxury" crap like a Chrysler 300 thrilled me!

Last edited by Herb687; Oct 13, 2020 at 1:40 pm Reason: add content
Old Oct 26, 2020, 6:33 pm

Reserved an FCAR at GRR this weekend and was pleasantly surprised to be assigned a BMW X3. Better than anything I've gotten from a UC location in the past few months.
Old Nov 22, 2020, 1:42 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
ZRH

Booked a COMPACT (Ford Focus, or similar) - received a Mercedes E450!

(PC member)
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2020, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by missingcolours
Reserved an FCAR at GRR this weekend and was pleasantly surprised to be assigned a BMW X3. Better than anything I've gotten from a UC location in the past few months.
I know most on this thread don't want to listen to my contrarian viewpoint(s) but I will echo that, as a Presidents Circle, I get better cars at non-UC locations than I do at UC locations. Nothing guaranteed, of course, but on average I receive much better treatment at mid-sized airports without UC.

Two recent non-UC data points. Thanksgiving Week in TUS. Split a trip into 2 different rentals to make it easier to charge my client for the business portion of the trip.

Rental #1
Reserved: C (Midsize)
Assigned: Camaro. I didn't want a Camaro since I had luggage with me and hate the looks of new Camaros. Asked for a sedan instead and...
Rented: F (Nissan Altima)

Rental #2
Assigned: Nissan Rogue. Asked for a nicer sedan or something lower time instead and the counter agent asked if I would be fine with a low time BMW X1. Yes, while I don't like SUVs in general, the BMW X1 would be acceptable. Sub-10K mileage vehicle.
Rented: W4 (BMW X1)

Last edited by Herb687; Dec 7, 2020 at 9:24 am Reason: syntax
Old Dec 8, 2020, 4:52 am

Originally Posted by Herb687
I know most on this thread don't want to listen to my contrarian viewpoint(s) but I will echo that, as a Presidents Circle, I get better cars at non-UC locations than I do at UC locations. Nothing guaranteed, of course, but on average I receive much better treatment at mid-sized airports without UC.

Two recent non-UC data points. Thanksgiving Week in TUS. Split a trip into 2 different rentals to make it easier to charge my client for the business portion of the trip.

Rental #1
Assigned: Camaro. I didn't want a Camaro since I had luggage with me and hate the looks of new Camaros. Asked for a sedan instead and...
Rented: F (Nissan Altima)

Rental #2
Assigned: Nissan Rogue. Asked for a nicer sedan or something lower time instead and the counter agent asked if I would be fine with a low time BMW X1. Yes, while I don't like SUVs in general, the BMW X1 would be acceptable. Sub-10K mileage vehicle.
Rented: W4 (BMW X1)
I don't think it's controversial to say PC members generally get better upgrades at non-UC locations. Turning down a Camaro in favor of an Altima, on the other hand...
EqualOpp and Auto Enthusiast like this.
Old Dec 8, 2020, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by m907
I don't think it's controversial to say PC members generally get better upgrades at non-UC locations. Turning down a Camaro in favor of an Altima, on the other hand...
In fairness, I had a large suitcase with me. Based on the one time I had a current generation Mustang from Hertz, if a Camaro is similar I'm not sure the suitcase would have fit in the trunk. And I didn't look at the Camaro they wanted to give me but I'm assuming it was a baseline one with some gutless GM-generic 4 cylinder engine. My one recent Mustang from Hertz was a GT 5.0 and, yes, I'd take one of those again in a heartbeat (without a giant suitcase to cart around) but current generation Camaros are truly ugly cars, in my opinion.

Then again at a UC location I've passed up Chrysler 300s to take a Honda Civic...

Last edited by Herb687; Dec 8, 2020 at 10:41 am Reason: clarify
Old Dec 9, 2020, 2:53 am

Originally Posted by Herb687
In fairness, I had a large suitcase with me. Based on the one time I had a current generation Mustang from Hertz, if a Camaro is similar I'm not sure the suitcase would have fit in the trunk. And I didn't look at the Camaro they wanted to give me but I'm assuming it was a baseline one with some gutless GM-generic 4 cylinder engine. My one recent Mustang from Hertz was a GT 5.0 and, yes, I'd take one of those again in a heartbeat (without a giant suitcase to cart around) but current generation Camaros are truly ugly cars, in my opinion.

Then again at a UC location I've passed up Chrysler 300s to take a Honda Civic...
​​​​​​Yeah, I get it. I would not be too enthused by a 4-cylinder Camaro with a cloth interior. The revived Camaro has never been particularly pretty.
Old Dec 24, 2020, 4:08 pm

NYC HLE (403 Lafayette)

Reserved: F
Offered: F Kia Optima

Received: I asked for a small SUV (weather this weekend is supposed to be lousy) and received a Q4 2019 Jeep Compass Trailhawk with Michigan plates, 35,000(!) miles on the odometer and working Sirius/XM.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2021, 2:58 pm

NYC HLE (403 Lafayette)

Reserved: F
Received: YI 2019 Chrysler 300S AWD with AZ plates and 45,000(!) miles on the odometer and disabled Sirius/XM.
Old Feb 22, 2021, 11:04 am

MIA HLE (SE 2nd Street)
Reserved: Full Size
Received: 2020 Chrysler 300S with IL plates and only 14k miles- and working Sirius.

I ended up at Hertz a refugee from a bad experience with Avis down the street, so the price wasnt great, but the staff was very helpful/kind, and this was the first time anyone at Hertz has EVER acknowledged my status. The rare sweet experience.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.