Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Hertz Vehicle Upgrades and Experiences for Elites Master Thread and Guide

Hertz Vehicle Upgrades and Experiences for Elites Master Thread and Guide

Old Feb 27, 2021, 4:49 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Any HLE experiences as president Circle in the Los Angeles area. I have a reservation for next week for a monthly rental. Somewhat concerned of inventory status. I made a C reservation
Old Jun 8, 2021, 8:54 am

Programs: National, Hertz
Still PC and hoping to keep it now that travel is picking back up. Picked up for the first time in a while at an HLE. Booked a full size 2 week ago out for Monday morning pickup. Pre-COVID normally the contract would be pre-printed and I'd be on my way quickly. Not the case this time. On arrival, only one employee working their absolute hardest to clean cars and service customers. I'm pretty sure I was their only non-insurance replacement of the day. Inventory was tight. The person ahead of me left in an old bodystyle Versa, so a 2019 model or earlier. I was tempted to ask how many miles were on that thing!

My options were a Cherokee that smelled like weed, a Pacifica that smelled like weed, or a truck. The agent apologized profusely that the "nicest" thing they had on the lot was a new Elantra but it wasn't a fullsize. I asked to take the Elantra but re-contact at the economy rate which was done without issue. Saving 50% compared to what I booked and the Elantra is fine for what I need. Only 1,800 miles on it, SE trim so no satellite radio. But it's comfortable, has wireless CarPlay, and an ice cold AC. They get an F for inventory availability but an A+ the employee's service.
Old Sep 11, 2021, 7:34 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
NYC HLE (403 Lafayette)

Reserved: C
Received: 2018 Chevrolet Equinox with Florida plates, 16,000 miles on the odometer, and working Sirius/XM.
Old Sep 12, 2021, 7:32 pm

NYC HLE (Upper W Side)

Reserved F class. Was given a 2018 Fusion; I said I'd rather not take such an old vehicle. To my utter shock given my past experiences at this specific location (and with this very Hertz employee), I was told "oh, no problem, lets find a newer vehicle for you." 3 minutes later I was given a brand new (8k miles) Sonata. And I assumed it would be a very base version because all rental Hyundais are, but its actually fully loaded with leather seats, lots of tech and Sirius XM. Drives beautifully.

Lesson learned that you really never know.
Old Sep 13, 2021, 9:48 am

I suspect this is a new tactic of being extra nice to the few people renting the small, old fleet at high prices. The rental companies will need to hold onto them, since this is a market segment likely to still rent no matter what.

Everyone else is starting to get tired of booking vacations and being surprised by astronomical rates, thus learning to plan trips that minimize the need to rent cars. Once consistently cheaper alternatives are found, behavior may not switch back to renting, even if availability improves and rates go down slightly.
Old Sep 28, 2021, 3:07 am

Two very different experiences at the same HLE in less than a month. I'm five star. Reserved C both times.

First time around, received an almost-new Sonata with 8000 miles. Reasonably well-equipped, great highway cruiser.

This time, a 2019 XT5 with 55,000 miles. Paint peeling, keyfob buttons missing, and needing an alignment. Also missing quite a few features that come standard on cheaper cars.
Old Sep 28, 2021, 9:12 am

HLE Brooklyn NYC, reserved C got a 2020 Altima 30k base package, even the A/C didn't have an auto function for temperature.
They sent four staff from the trailer and 15 minutes later all four appeared in the car, I can only assume they did a quick cleaning, dash was still wet. HLE is a shared unground multi-level parking garage so Hertz cars are not too apparent as the cars near the trailer appear to be parked cars not rentals.
Old Sep 28, 2021, 11:46 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I had a Mid Sized booked at FAT last weekend and was upgraded to a Cadillac XT5 400. That was a nice treat which helped overlook that it had 31,500 miles on it.
Auto Enthusiast and Ordpc like this.
Old Sep 30, 2021, 12:53 am

Originally Posted by Brighton Line
HLE Brooklyn NYC, reserved C got a 2020 Altima 30k base package, even the A/C didn't have an auto function for temperature.
They sent four staff from the trailer and 15 minutes later all four appeared in the car, I can only assume they did a quick cleaning, dash was still wet. HLE is a shared unground multi-level parking garage so Hertz cars are not too apparent as the cars near the trailer appear to be parked cars not rentals.
I also got an Altima (base package) at NYC HLE last week. Was low mileage 2021 so i cant complain, BUT the service at the counter was horrible. There was no on else in line, and i waited 15 mins just to be spoken to, and another 25 minutes to get my vehicle. Just a joke.
Auto Enthusiast and Ordpc like this.
Old Oct 14, 2021, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Two decent recent experiences when reserving a luxury (class I) car as Presidents Circle. Both were weekly rentals.

ALB
Reserved: I
Assigned/Rented: Mexican Benz A220 (forget what class this car is but there seem to be lots in the fleet still. X6?)

CVG
Reserved: I

Assigned/Rented: K (2019 BMW 530i xDrive)

There was at least one other 5er on the lot at CVG preassigned to someone.
Interestingly, the 530i I rented had 51K miles on it and appeared to have been purchased used by Hertz from a used car lot. Still a nice ride and much appreciated upgrade despite that poor turbo 4 being too small an engine for so bloated a BMW.

As an extra bonus there were plenty of staff in the return area at CVG and I received a free terminal drive back. Apparently the new rental car garage is less than a month away so shuttle buses will soon be a thing of the past.
m907 and Ordpc like this.
Old Oct 25, 2021, 3:06 pm

Programs: National, Hertz
MHT airport as PC

Booked: G
Received: F

No email/text beforehand with vehicle details, nothing showing in the app. On arrival my contract was not pre-printed despite there being a few other Gold/PC contracts being visible behind the desk. In the garage booth, I was offered either an Equinox or a Grand Caravan. Chose the Equinox and when I broke the clean seal, it was an ashtray with 50,000 miles. Checked out what I presumed was the Grand Caravan I was offered which was parked next to it. Also an ashtray. Back at the booth, the only other vehicle they could offer was a Malibu. Amazingly, this was the case despite their stalls being ~70% full. There was an Impala (which is the standard G car until they rotate them out of the fleet) and a 300 close to the booth, both of which would have worked great. Somehow, neither of those cars, nor any of the other cars were "appearing in the system." Not wanting to waste anymore time with the rep who was dying to get back to her phone, and since I needed to get on the road anyway, I took the downgrade to the Malibu. 2020 LT with 52,000 (!) miles and NY plates but a Texas inspection sticker above the NY one, so it's been in the fleet for a while. Change Engine Oil message came on the very next day. But at least it didn't smell like smoke! Before I left the rep was kind enough to stamp my contract with "$400 smoking charge" in red ink. I wonder if they actually charged the renters of the Equinox and Grand Caravan the $400?

I figure they didn't want to give up anything other than the crappy smoker specials to a one way reservation. National at MHT has an aisle but was unfortunately unavailable for my one way. Most of the Hertz cars looked older and dinged on my walk around the lot; something to note if renting from here, which I will try hard to avoid. On return in Maine the rep was somewhat mortified at the experience and took 2 days off the rental for the downgrade, along with a 10% off. Let's see how things turnout post-bankruptcy.
Auto Enthusiast and m907 like this.
Old Nov 7, 2021, 2:30 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, Hertz 5-Star, Wyndham Rewards Platinum
Originally Posted by oftech
On return in Maine the rep was somewhat mortified at the experience and took 2 days off the rental for the downgrade, along with a 10% off. Let's see how things turnout post-bankruptcy.
Best Hertz reps I have ever encountered were the very nice people at BGR.
oftech likes this.
Old Nov 11, 2021, 6:55 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
NYC HLE (403 Lafayette)

Reserved: F
Received: Q4 2018 Honda CRV LX AWD with Florida plates and 41,500(!) miles on the odometer. Despite the high mileage, the vehicle was pretty sound and did well on the highways in Long Island.
Old Nov 11, 2021, 7:14 pm

41,500 mi is nothing for Hertz. Besides, this sounds like one of the used cars they bought to keep taking reservations when new cars were unavailable during peak times.
Old Nov 11, 2021, 7:25 pm

Programs: Pre✓, Delta DM, Hilton LT Diamond, Mariott Plat, PC Gold, National EE, Hertz PC
This week:

DFW
Took from PC aisle: Chrysler 300S AWD - I've had many 300 Sports but this is the first AWD version. I really like the Alpine stereo in these cars. As par usual. I had to refill the windshield washer fluid reservoir in this one. It's so common for them to never refill the washer fluid. I'll be sure to mention that when I return it.

Last week;

CVG

Took from PC aisle: BMW X5

After leaving the lot I discovered that someone had removed the rear window wiper blade and the vehicle maintenance system was indicating that it needed front brake pads. Also, I rely heavily on Apple Car Play in my rentals. As I got the vehicle i found that Car Play didn't work. After doing some research I discovered that it's actually a subscription service with BMW to get Car Play to work. Pfft. I've never seen this with any other brand.

The job before that:

MIA
Took from PC aisle: Chrysler 300S

Last edited by KenTarmac; Nov 11, 2021 at 7:38 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.