Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Renting at LAX; What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 19, 2019, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
January 2021 Update, courtesy of CalItalian:

Hertz, Dollar and Thrifty are now permanently combined in the Hertz facility until the move in a couple of years to the under construction consolidated car rental facility/garage a mile to the west on the corner of Arbor Vitae and La Cienega.

Returns do not allow agents to check in cars and provide in-person receipts; it has to be emailed. Contracts will not be closed until the vehicle has been sanitized. Be sure to take a photo of your dashboard (fuel gauge/mileage) and any other photos of the vehicle before you leave it in case there are any issues.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Renting at LAX; What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2018, 4:05 pm

Has anyone seen Mercedes GL450 in LAX before? Booked luxury SUV (S6) last time, ended up getting the QX80 and exchanged for a Escalade instead. The rep told me that she hasn't seen GL450 for a long time.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 12:02 pm

Bad PC selection on a Sunday night. Very empty and the only thing aside from Fullsize and SUVs was an Impala.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 8:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC, Global Entry, CLEAR
Just finished my Group K (GCAR) reservation. Was expecting a Volvo S90, but was given a Jaguar XF. Nice car, definitely got the job done. Lanes for upgrades were nearly empty though.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 10:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, Starwood Gold, Hyatt Diamond
I had a white Mercedes SLC 300 in LAX the other day. Sure, it barely fit my luggage, but it was fun.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 11:20 am

Any Ford Mustang GT 2018 models in stock when i rent (PXAR) in june?
Old Feb 22, 2018, 2:11 am

Originally Posted by TexasTea
Just finished my Group K (GCAR) reservation. Was expecting a Volvo S90, but was given a Jaguar XF. Nice car, definitely got the job done. Lanes for upgrades were nearly empty though.
thanks for sharing, any feedback regarding the trim levels? eager to understand what engine it had too.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 7:25 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC, Global Entry, CLEAR
Originally Posted by phat-dave
thanks for sharing, any feedback regarding the trim levels? eager to understand what engine it had too.
It was the 30T, XF Premium. Pretty base configuration. White with Tan interior. Sufficient for the time I had it, but wish it would have had keyless and navigation.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 8:05 pm

Slightly better selection in PC than usual today (Friday 23rd at 3:30pm-ish) usual basic Kia and Hyundai SUVs but they brought out an Audi A3, a Infiniti QX30 and a Buick Enclave. There was some decent spec'd 300's if you're into that kinda thing. I even spotted a pick up truck lurking on the end.

I was very happy to pick up a brand spanking new (34 miles on the clock) Mazda CX-5 Touring - with the excellent radar cruise! I've been wanting to try one for ages a potential car for purchase and now i've got one for a month! on a decent rate so it's a proper extended test drive. As I was driving out I saw a load of other new CX-5's being delivered. I wasn't even aware they had any on fleet so they mustve struck a new deal
Old Feb 24, 2018, 7:43 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Gold, UA Silver, Hertz 5*, National EC E, Sixt Gold,
Heading to LAX next weekend and have booked with Silvercar (first experience with them). If I'm 5*, is there any reason to choose Hertz 5* UC over Silvercar? My quote from SC was ~$350/wk and Hertz is $240-ish. Any chance I'll score some comparable vehicle in the 5* area UC?
Old Feb 25, 2018, 1:05 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by henrygrins
Heading to LAX next weekend and have booked with Silvercar (first experience with them). If I'm 5*, is there any reason to choose Hertz 5* UC over Silvercar? My quote from SC was ~$350/wk and Hertz is $240-ish. Any chance I'll score some comparable vehicle in the 5* area UC?
No. Not a chance. You'd have to pay for an upgrade.

Originally Posted by Bjam99
Slightly better selection in PC than usual today (Friday 23rd at 3:30pm-ish) usual basic Kia and Hyundai SUVs but they brought out an Audi A3, a Infiniti QX30 and a Buick Enclave. There was some decent spec'd 300's if you're into that kinda thing. I even spotted a pick up truck lurking on the end.
The midsize pick up truck was still there at 10:30 am on Saturday. They seem to love parking one at the end of the east side of PC. I've seen the same pick up in the same space for a week a month ago. I wouldn't rent it only because credit card insurance doesn't pay for trucks.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Mar 24, 2018 at 3:29 pm
Old Feb 25, 2018, 12:40 pm

Oh interesting! I've rented a truck a coupla times and didn't even think to check the insurance! oops
Old Feb 27, 2018, 11:35 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle

FYI. At LAX if you are looking for an Ultimate Series or Premium Upgrade, always be sure to look at the vehicles in the lanes on either side of the Gold Booth. They have them in both the President's Circle and Five Star areas and regardless of your status, you can take a vehicle (for an additional fee) from either area. See map. Assigned mostly specialty vehicles are in the lane between the two areas (behind the Gold Booth).
AutoSlash and ohko like this.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 9:51 am

Programs: AAdvantage Gold, UA Silver, Hertz 5*, National EC E, Sixt Gold,
Originally Posted by CalItalian
No. Not a chance. You'd have to pay for an upgrade.
Yeah, that's what I figured. Now the question becomes "is an upgrade worth it?" If it's a bone stock base model C Class Merc or any Infiniti sedan (I just can't bring myself to like them for some reason -- close but no cigar.) Then I would consider an "upgrade" to a Premium vehicle a downgrade from Silvercar and their somewhat boring but fully-loaded A4. I'm just not sure what's typically available in the upgrade section at LAX.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 5:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I get PC for free, but still on the fence about coming to Hertz unless the rates are really significantly lower than what I pay National, because from what I am reading in this thread, it seems that Hertz puts lower quality cars in the PC area than you can find at LAX National Emerald Aisle, and makes you pay upgrade fees to take what National might put in the LAX Executive Aisle, or just bring you for free as a regular customer on request....which makes me wonder what Hertz puts in the 5* area, or the regular Gold area.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 11:16 am

I'm a PC member and use Hertz almost every week for business, but mostly on the east coast. Now we're planning a family vacation in Southern California for end of May. I'll need to rent a car and with a family of four and two child seats, probably will need a SUV.
Normally, I'd rent Intermediate and just pick anything in the PC section, which in the bigger location often includes SUVs. But I'm uncertain if that's the case in the LA location (arrving on a Tuesday afternoon). Would that be risky and should I go for a dedicated SUV category rental?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.