Consolidated "Renting Cars on Kaua`i" Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Renting Cars on Kaua`i" Thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2009, 10:58 am

Thanks Franger

Got to playing around with the Entertainment codes and their coupon (I do have the book) and got a $495 rate for 12/19-31 for a convertible. Not bad considering everyone's looking to get $1000+ for a convertible for that length of stay.
Well today I was playing around with the QVQHI rate code with the 7014303 ID and AF3067JDW coupon (one free day) and I got $319 AI for 12/21-31 for midsize SUV. Would have loved to get 12/19-31 but the only car offered was a convertible... not good w/2Adults and 2 teenagers (DH doesn't know how to "underpack").
This is great since I didn't want to tie $$ on a PL/Hotwire bid and I'm sure I can find something reasonable for the 2 days -- since it's a bit before the "crush" I'm sure I can get hotwire for about $25 per.
Thanks everyone.
Carolyn
Old Feb 11, 2009, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was having difficulty finding a good car rate at LIH around Easter time. After looking at hotwire, I bid $18 for a "standard" car on priceline and was accepted (Hertz). Oddly, when I bid for KOA for adjacent dates, I couldn't get a rate better than the non-opaque deals.

As everyone knows, priceline for cars isn't as useful as priceline for hotels. But it is always a possibility. Sometimes it even works!
Old Feb 11, 2009, 11:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by iahphx
As everyone knows, priceline for cars isn't as useful as priceline for hotels. But it is always a possibility. Sometimes it even works!
It is certainly more cumbersome for cars than hotels, but I wouldn't say it's not as useful. I have saved hundreds of dollars at a time in Hawaii. It is particularly good for convertibles.
Old Feb 12, 2009, 6:24 am

Alamo Rate Code QVWHI

Is the way to go in Hawaii (especially in Kauai). I used it with both the Entertainment card contract and Costco and it brought the weekly rate down substantially -- like $300+per week after tax and fees and $200ish less than the discounted Costco/Entertainment rate . Not too shabby. It's only good for a convertible or SUV (mid or full) but the rate comes out to be much $$ less than the weekly rate for a mid size car. I was able to get 2 ressies (since we're not sure which day we're arriving) for $318 (10 days) and $286 (9 days) inclusive for a mid-SUV -- and keeping it till Dec. 31st evening. For the remaining 3 possible days (beginning of trip) I was able to use one free day weekend day coupon from Entertainment book at National to get a full size for $118 AI. This is slightly less than the $25.95 per on mid-size I was getting on Hotwire this far out which would be non-refundable. I wasn't feeling comfortable taking that chance this far out. We do take out insurance to cover our possible out of pocket $$ (since it cost $$ to reinstate miles if we cancel) and condo deposits but this way we don't have to buy more insurance than we'll possibly need.
Good luck with bookings.
Carolyn
Old Feb 20, 2009, 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by broadwayblue
I would be interested...but would they get me a $200 or less weekly rate for a midsize?
After many requests, here is the CDP to use in Hawaii. It gives some of the best rates in the state as well as some locations on the mainland and internationally. Be sure to post your experiences.

CDP#1704073

It also can be combined with certain PC#'s so be sure to try for that additional discount.

I pulled a 1 week rental on Kauai with a midsize car for $205.57 after tax ($179.75 before tax).
Old Jun 8, 2010, 9:29 am

Programs: SPG Marriott Gold
Company preferences?

I'll be in Kauai in July and am considering a rental through

discounthawaiicarrental.com or costco (i'll be heading to costco on Friday so trying to wrap up my car rental decision before then)

Re costco, does anyone know if there will be any issue with me renting a car under my mom's membership? Will I have to show my costco membership card in LIH?

Are there any car rental companies that are better accessed at LIH than others? (i.e., some off airport property, some on property, some that you would prefer or avoid for other reasons)

Also, has anyone had any trouble with discounthawaiicarrental.com?
I had a bad experience using a third party website for a trip to the highlands in scotland two years ago (lots of hidden fees that were undisclosed).

THANKS!!

Last edited by bobjunior; Jun 8, 2010 at 9:34 am Reason: ADDITIONAL QUESTION
Old Jun 8, 2010, 10:08 am

Originally Posted by bobjunior
I'll be in Kauai in July and am considering a rental through

discounthawaiicarrental.com or costco (i'll be heading to costco on Friday so trying to wrap up my car rental decision before then)

Re costco, does anyone know if there will be any issue with me renting a car under my mom's membership? Will I have to show my costco membership card in LIH?

Are there any car rental companies that are better accessed at LIH than others? (i.e., some off airport property, some on property, some that you would prefer or avoid for other reasons)

Also, has anyone had any trouble with discounthawaiicarrental.com?
I had a bad experience using a third party website for a trip to the highlands in scotland two years ago (lots of hidden fees that were undisclosed).

THANKS!!
I go to LIH four or five times a year. All of the agencies have shuttle buses across the street. The best deals I have gotten are through Priceline and discounthawaiicarrental.com - which usually ends up with Thrifty. In my experience, both these options are far cheaper than Costco - savings of up to 60% over the major sites. One nice thing that I recently learned is that with Discount Hawaii the second driver is free.

The only issues I have ever had are:

National/Alamo don't like to wash the inside of the windshield - they're usually filthy. Buy some Windex wipes. It's really strange too, since Alamo and National are completely separate here.

All cars, unless they are brand new, are probably going to be dirty inside - that red dirt is a killer.

Once had an issue with cockroaches in a Thifty car. They were complete jerks about it. The agent told us it was a fact of life on the island - no sympathy at all. It was the only time it was ever a problem.

FYI, the National/Enterprise lot is about a mile away, as opposed to at the airport. It isn't of any significance.
Old Jun 8, 2010, 10:37 am

Programs: SPG Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ILuvParis
I go to LIH four or five times a year. All of the agencies have shuttle buses across the street. The best deals I have gotten are through Priceline and discounthawaiicarrental.com - which usually ends up with Thrifty. In my experience, both these options are far cheaper than Costco - savings of up to 60% over the major sites. One nice thing that I recently learned is that with Discount Hawaii the second driver is free.

The only issues I have ever had are:

Once had an issue with cockroaches in a Thifty car. They were complete jerks about it. The agent told us it was a fact of life on the island - no sympathy at all. It was the only time it was ever a problem.
Thanks, Paris! I'll stick with Discount Hawaii. Perhaps I'll call their customer service number to get guidance on making sure I'm brooking properly.

I am HORRIFIED by cockroaches. More than most. I know it sounds weak but I would not be able to tolerate them. So I'm going to shoot for the dirty windows of Alamo.

Hopefully the Sheraton Kauai and St. Regis wont have the little critters for permanent residents.
Old Jun 9, 2010, 6:07 pm
yrs

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, WN CP
Best car rental deal 6/18-7/2 in Kauai?

Folks,

I was not able to find my information via a quick search, so I am creating a new thread. I am Skymiles Silver (will be Gold or Plat by Dec 31).

My family of 4 is visiting Kauai for 2 weeks: June 18 - Jul 2. Where can I find the best deal on a car rental partner?

Many thanks in advance.

YRS
Old Jun 10, 2010, 12:36 pm

island air discount code

i just booked mine using the island air discount code:
http://www.islandair.com/

i went with avis.
Old Jul 12, 2010, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
So far, here's the best deal I've found on Kauai for a six (6) day rental of a midsize car for early October: $198.02 including all taxes, surcharges, fees, etc. from Thrifty.

And I thought Hawaii was on sale.....anyway, if anyone knows of a better rate for a midsize or larger, please let me know!

Thanks!
Old Jul 12, 2010, 9:16 pm

Originally Posted by jlemon
So far, here's the best deal I've found on Kauai for a six (6) day rental of a midsize car for early October: $198.02 including all taxes, surcharges, fees, etc. from Thrifty.

And I thought Hawaii was on sale.....anyway, if anyone knows of a better rate for a midsize or larger, please let me know!

Thanks!
Have you tried Priceline?
Old Jul 13, 2010, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
I started looking at rates for November and they're obscene. So bad, that it may be cheaper to use cabs for local driving and rent by the day for trips around the island. I think I was quoted nearly $400 for 8 days for a midsize.
Old Jul 13, 2010, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by ILuvParis
Have you tried Priceline?
Yes, repeatedly.....and their site continues to inform me my bid is too low, unfortunately....
Old Jul 13, 2010, 8:55 am

Originally Posted by jlemon
Yes, repeatedly.....and their site continues to inform me my bid is too low, unfortunately....
I would hold on to the best deal I can get and keep trying Priceline. As you get closer to your date, chances are prices will drop. Is your Thrifty reservation through Hawaii Discount car rentals?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.