Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Renting Cars on Kaua`i" Thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2001, 7:59 am
Original Poster

Consolidated "Renting Cars on Kaua`i" Thread

Does anybody know which car rental company has the Sebring convertibles? Thanks.

------------------
Sandra
Old Nov 19, 2002, 11:31 am
Suspended

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Gold, PC Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Silver
Kauai Car Rental - 4WD?

Any need for a four-wheel drive on Kauai?
Old Nov 19, 2002, 1:19 pm

I have rented a Jeep wrangler on Kauai for fun before but there is really no real need to do so unless you are planning to drive on cane roads which most rental companies prohibit anyway and which, in most cases are on private property.
Old Nov 19, 2002, 3:07 pm

The primary reason for a 4wd on Kauai is if you plan on doing any off-road treks. If you haven't been to Kauai before, there are enough places to see without having a 4wd. Even going over the cane roads (e.g. Polihale State Park) is ok in a regular car. I am not aware of any forbidden areas on Kauai by the rental car companies, as there are on the big island, but to be safe check with the company when you rent.
Old Nov 19, 2002, 8:07 pm

I'm on Kauai at the Sheraton now with a Chevy Blazer 4wd. Absolutely no need for it at all. I usually get a minivan because I hate cars. I own both a Pontiac Montana and Chevy Trailblazer at home. I thought the Blazer would be comparable to the Trailblazer but it's much smaller. Rent a minivan (not for room, there are only 2 of us, but for comfort).
Old Nov 20, 2002, 7:41 pm

I would agree with the above posts. I rented a convertable on Kauai, and never felt like I needed anything else. The Big Island is another story. A four wheel drive really comes in handy there.
Old Nov 23, 2002, 9:56 am

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
If you rent from Avis, try using the corp discount # K860600. It is the Starwood code and people have reported getting great discounts.
Old Nov 25, 2002, 9:22 am

I used my Costco discount and got a rate 50% off at Alamo. If you have a warehouse discount membership, see who the participating agencies are... it may be well worth it.
Old Jan 13, 2003, 2:54 pm
Suspended

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by SFFlyman:
I used my Costco discount and got a rate 50% off at Alamo. </font>
No such luck with my Costco code (Alamo 630702). Any other decent codes (for any rental agency) for a convertible? So far the best that I have found is the SmarterLiving.com code for Budget (X251008).
Old Jan 16, 2003, 8:31 am

My Wrangler on Kauai is running me about $55 a day. Much more expensive than a car but comperable to a convertable. I figure a Wrangler gives the best of both worlds- convertable and 4wd.
Old Jan 19, 2003, 2:57 pm
Suspended

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by JerryFF:
If you rent from Avis, try using the corp discount # K860600. It is the Starwood code and people have reported getting great discounts.</font>
Although no decent rates one week ago, this code (which is the SPG member 35% off deal, which may have recently been reactivated) now gives decent discounts. Convertibles and 4WD (all islands) are $55.00/day.
Old Oct 25, 2003, 1:47 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Kauai car rental question

I want to do some things in the Waimea Canyon area that the Kauai Revealed guidebook says require 4WD. Is it 4WD that's needed, or is it ground clearance (making a 2WD SUV OK). I have a 4WD reserved w/ Avis, but an SUV (presumably 2WD?) was cheaper. Neither Hertz nor Thrifty have a specific 4WD category (only SUV, unspecified).
Old Oct 25, 2003, 5:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
We've driven everywhere (well, almost everywhere) on Kauai and never used a 4WD. The only really bad road was the one to the beach on the West coast, near where the Na Pali cliffs start. It is rutted and bumpy but OK if you go slow. Some have recommended a Subaru AWD. We're renting a Ford PU for our next trip because they are/were on sale thru Budget.

Phil
Old Oct 25, 2003, 10:40 pm

Programs: BA, DL, HA, etc
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by philemer:
We've driven everywhere (well, almost everywhere) on Kauai and never used a 4WD. The only really bad road was the one to the beach on the West coast, near where the Na Pali cliffs start. It is rutted and bumpy but OK if you go slow. Some have recommended a Subaru AWD. We're renting a Ford PU for our next trip because they are/were on sale thru Budget.

Phil
</font>

and... it is possible to get stuck in the sand there on the west side. You have to be really stupid and help someone out of the same sandtrap, then decide that you, in your front-wheel drive vehicle, can back up, get up all the speed you can (in the hopes of possibly jumping the sandtrap), yet dig yourself deeper in the sand then the guy I just... errrr that YOU just helped out of said sandtrap...

The west side IS beautiful, but if you see what looks like a big pit of soft sand, test it first :-)

[This message has been edited by Lavarock7 (edited 10-25-2003).]
Old Oct 28, 2003, 11:18 pm

I just got back Monday morning, and stayed on Kauai just off one of the roads you described.

I would not go far in a regular car on the unpaved roads in the Waimea/Kokee area. They seem to not be well maintained, and frequent rain (several times daily) keep them soft & gooey. In dry weather, good clearance should get you through, but I think the rainy season is starting--we had drizzle off & on most of our time up there.

Waimea Canyon is astounding! I'd advise 1) watching Jurassic Park before you go (it was filmed there), and 2) consider a scorpio boat ride around that end of the island (which I didn't do, but can only imagine).

Have a great trip!

JP

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.