Consolidated "Renting Cars on Kaua`i" Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Renting Cars on Kaua`i" Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2008, 12:22 pm

Didn't need the "trick"

At least w/Alamo in Lihue... terrific night mgr. was the same great guy who upgraded us previous year. Thanking him again for prior trip he said "take anything on the lot" (wasn't much there but we could have had a convertible for our discounted price -- wouldn't have been good for us though, DH overpacked for 2 week trip and w/2 kids, boogie board etc. would have had to strap Mike on bumper lol). Also we hit a bit more rain than we would have liked so wouldn't have enjoyed convertible.
On the other hand had an "almost" terrible experience when picking up car from Alamo at HNL. Got there around 1:30PM Xmas day. Had mid-size confirmation. Always ask for a car w/trunk (after last year's fiasco w/Malibu Max aka Malibu Craps). Get a grumpy agent who tries to do the upsell for a full size for our 5 day rental (only $80 more)... well, thank you but no, our agreement was for $148 ai and we're on a budget... "but how much luggage do you have"... (2 large suitcases etc.) "well you'll need a larger car"... we'll take our chances. Given a set of keys and start going outside. See another couple looking over the car I was assigned and get into another one and I start to wonder "what's going on". See it's a Malibu Max (no trunk), not a good sign. Then I open the car... it REAKS of carpet cleaner (for seats). The rear seat is heavily stained and the odometer shows about 24K on it. I can't stand the fumes for 10 seconds, let alone 5 days. The stains on the seats are horrible and worst part is my daughter (11) has asthma and is starting to panic about being stuck in that car. I get the agent who says... well that's the only car I've got in that category and you'll have to wait a couple of hours for others to be returned.. (well NO, I made the ressies months ago and I wasn't going to be a "lady" and accept that piece of crap). Ask for a manager but agent puts me off, told to wait outside. DH is starting to pace like a caged cat.. not a good sign and I warn him to let me handle it (cause he'll probably do more harm than good... worse case scenario, we were prepared to take a cab to hotel and pass on car). Then agent said "oh look, we've got a vue (think that's what it was" coming from the carwash... it'll take a while though" (OK I'll wait"). When it comes out it's a hatchback car that I highly doubt is considered a midsize. I'm getting irritated. Luckily by now some "sucker" finally took the Malibu so I go directly to manager and explain that we must have a car w/trunk.. so he says "are you "ok" with a midsize SUV since it's all we've got and several... heck SURE, we had Torrent in Kauai and were pleased... Rushed over and got keys.. Thanks manager profusely... Merry Xmas and all that jazz. Lesson learned... stood my ground and didn't let crumpy agent push me around. I was happy. Libby was very happy and Mike stopped pacing.
Broadwayblue... are you a member of costco? If so use there discount # and coupon... if not, please PM me and I can get out # and coupon out to you. They don't ask for membership card but they may ask for coupon (1 free day on 5+day rental and upgrade one too). Didn't need coupon in Kaui but did in HNL. Also will love to tell you about our week on Kauai. Trying to remember, are you the one who was trying for AA award seats?
Carolyn
Old Jan 7, 2008, 9:19 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by cmjaffe
Broadwayblue... are you a member of costco? If so use there discount # and coupon... if not, please PM me and I can get out # and coupon out to you. They don't ask for membership card but they may ask for coupon (1 free day on 5+day rental and upgrade one too). Didn't need coupon in Kaui but did in HNL. Also will love to tell you about our week on Kauai. Trying to remember, are you the one who was trying for AA award seats?
Carolyn
Yup, that was me. Started planning this trip back last January.
Old Jan 10, 2008, 4:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Wow!

We always rent a convertible on Kauai and highly recommend it for anyone. Otherwise, IMHO, you miss a lot of the island's beauty.

My "system" is always to make a reservation on Orbitz and then bid over a period of time up to just short of that amount. My upcoming trip in February/March will be quite long, so I thought I should start bidding.

Anyway, for my 22 days (I know, it's rough) I made a reservation on Orbitz for a total price of $1017 on Dollar - and that was good, relatively. Most others were several hundred dollars more! The rate for National was almost $1500! Anyway, since I have about 6 weeks before leaving, I figured I could start low and add a little bit every day to my bid.

So, I took the total pre-tax amount (of the Dollar bid) and roughly halved it, divided by 22 (days), rounded that off and bid $20 per day. Got it on the first bid! $566 all in.

Makes me wonder what I should have started out at!

Now I have an excuse (and more money) to spend more time at the spa at the Hyatt!

Last edited by ILuvParis; Jan 10, 2008 at 4:50 pm
Old Jan 10, 2008, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
You know, there are some days where I just want to ring Iluvparis' neck, and today is one of them
Old Mar 8, 2008, 5:52 am
used to be 'Flyfarfar'

Programs: DL, AA, SPG, MR, HGP, IHG
Kauai - Best Car Rental

I need a car rental for 2 days, and all the major car rental agencies are asking about 35 for lowest category, also not having luck with priceline.

Does anyone know of any local car rental agencies that are easy to use and close to LIH?

FLyfarfar
Old Mar 8, 2008, 6:01 am

Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber
www.hotwire.com $23 UP
Old Mar 9, 2008, 8:39 am
used to be 'Flyfarfar'

Programs: DL, AA, SPG, MR, HGP, IHG
Hotwire was coming out at ~30 a day.

I pricelined an economy car for 18 a day and won. Priceline all in is ~26 a day. So not a huge savings over hotwire, but a big savings over advertised fare.
Old Mar 9, 2008, 11:32 am

Programs: AAdvantage
Rented from Avis May1-7, 2008. Rate was 270.00 all in. Called and got the rate reduced to 232.00 all in. Thats 33.00pd. Full size care.

BTW: Does anyone know what AVIS uses for Full Size car on Kauai?
Old Apr 24, 2008, 12:04 pm

Priceline rocks!

Just got a Hertz convertible on Priceline for $26 per day, $485 all in for May 13-27. The regular price for a Hertz convertible for that time period is $859, cheapest overall was $724, so I saved big! This is a little more than I usually pay. I was also surprised to get Hertz. My experience with Priceline on Kauai is exclusively with Alamo. I'm looking forward to having a clean windshield on the inside (yeah, right).
Old Jul 17, 2008, 7:24 pm

Kauai Rental Jeeps Question

Does anyone know the difference between the types of Jeep Wranglers rented by the various companies in Kauai? Are they all 4WD? There is a huge difference in price, so I thought I must be missing something. I noticed the last time we were there that some seemed bigger (larger tires & body) than others. Thanks for the help -
Old Jul 19, 2008, 11:19 pm

Programs: Scorched earth and base metal in everything these days
Originally Posted by teddy8030
Does anyone know the difference between the types of Jeep Wranglers rented by the various companies in Kauai? Are they all 4WD? There is a huge difference in price, so I thought I must be missing something. I noticed the last time we were there that some seemed bigger (larger tires & body) than others. Thanks for the help -
I've noticed that some of the companies offer the Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, which is a 4-door, which is certainly larger than the Wranglers you may be used to.
AFAIK, all Wranglers have 4WD these days (at least the 2008 ones do), so I'm not sure what explains the price differences.
Old Jul 20, 2008, 1:45 am

Originally Posted by tednugent(no relation)
I've noticed that some of the companies offer the Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, which is a 4-door, which is certainly larger than the Wranglers you may be used to.
AFAIK, all Wranglers have 4WD these days (at least the 2008 ones do), so I'm not sure what explains the price differences.
There are huge price differences on all types of cars - sometimes a couple hundred dollars difference for the same size (and sometimes model) between companies.
Old Jan 26, 2009, 5:04 am

Type of car for Kauai

My wife and I have visited Maui three times and Oahu once. This year we are going to Kauai and I heard the island is less developed. Do you need a 4 wheel drive to see any parts of the island? Would a standard economy car detract from the trip at all making some places inaccessible?
Old Jan 26, 2009, 9:01 am

Originally Posted by tnt71
My wife and I have visited Maui three times and Oahu once. This year we are going to Kauai and I heard the island is less developed. Do you need a 4 wheel drive to see any parts of the island? Would a standard economy car detract from the trip at all making some places inaccessible?
I don't think not having a 4WD will detract from the trip - it's not that undeveloped. There are a few places that it would come in handy - Polihale Beach, for example (last month the beach was closed anyway because the road was so bad). I go to Kauai often, and have never felt that I'm missing a great deal.
Old Jan 26, 2009, 9:14 am

Programs: AA LT PLT, SPG Gold
I was in Kauai last January and will be again next month. I rented a regular midsize car and didn't have any problems getting around. If you really plan on exploring off the beaten path, a 4WD vehicle might come in handy...but I don't really think it is necessary.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.