Consolidated "Renting Cars on Kaua`i" Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Renting Cars on Kaua`i" Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2010, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by ILuvParis
I would hold on to the best deal I can get and keep trying Priceline. As you get closer to your date, chances are prices will drop. Is your Thrifty reservation through Hawaii Discount car rentals?
Yes.....and I'll continue to bid via Priceline.

I've had great results using Priceline for many years now with regard to excellent rates on 4* hotels in New Orleans, Houston, D.C., San Juan, etc. but have not used them for car rentals.

Thanks!
Old Jul 13, 2010, 9:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by jlemon
Yes.....and I'll continue to bid via Priceline.

I've had great results using Priceline for many years now with regard to excellent rates on 4* hotels in New Orleans, Houston, D.C., San Juan, etc. but have not used them for car rentals.

Thanks!
I have gotten up to 60% off on car rentals in Kauai using Priceline or gotten a convertible for the price of a mid-size. But it doesn't always work out.
Old Jul 14, 2010, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by Mary2e
I started looking at rates for November and they're obscene. So bad, that it may be cheaper to use cabs for local driving and rent by the day for trips around the island. I think I was quoted nearly $400 for 8 days for a midsize.
Have you checked hotwire.com? I just checked 11/5>11/12 and it shows $182/week, AI. Eight day rental shows $208 (mid or full size).

I used them in January, on the B.I., and paid only $521 for three weeks (full size).
Old Jul 14, 2010, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
I'll have to check again. I haven't looked in a week or so.

That's a lot more reasonable. Thank you.
Old Jul 14, 2010, 10:47 am

There are usually lots of tips from one of the regulars on the Hertz forum. He always has, and posts, the latest discount codes and promotions. They usually can match Hawaii Discount Car Rentals but, as I've posted before, the latter doesn't charge for extra drivers.
Old Jul 29, 2010, 11:20 pm

Programs: ALL
Alamo (LIH) has convertibles for a week in January for less than any other agency has economy cars.
Old Aug 3, 2010, 8:48 am

Programs: AA BA CO DL UA US
How to find the cheapest car rental in Kauai?

I'll need to rent a car in Kauai for 5 days. Cheapest quote via Expedia, Travelocity, and via company website so far is Enterprise, which is $310 for standard. Looking for a mid-size, standard or full size car. How's the the trick for getting the cheapest car rental?
Old Aug 3, 2010, 9:33 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Please follow as the thread is moved to our Travel->Hawaii forum. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.
Old Aug 3, 2010, 11:26 am

Programs: Delta PM, USAir SM, Starwood SPG, AVIS President's Club
We'll be in Kauai from December 25-Jan 7, and were coming up with crazy high rates (>$1300) on the regular sites. Assume it is the high Holiday season time. Tried Priceline with a few low ball bids and didn't win.

Then found a link on the hotel website to www.hawaiidrive-o.com/rates.php, and booked a compact at literally half of what all the other sites were showing. They are middlemen, but the rental is with Thrifty (and they have other majors as well).

I won't be able to tell you how the whole experience goes until after January next year, but saving ~$700 is huge.

(Also saw similar savings at www.hawaiicarrentals.net, believe there are a few others as well)

Good luck!
Old Aug 3, 2010, 2:06 pm

always use www.discounthawaiicarrental.com for best rates and free extra drivers with Thrifty. Also 21-24 ages they can usually book with only $10 a day young driver fee. Normally $27 a day.
Old Aug 3, 2010, 2:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP || AA Lifetime Plat closing in on 4MM
I just bid $20/day on Priceline for a 7 day rental this month and the offer was accepted. Total is $205 and is booked with Hertz. Over $100 cheaper than other sites/deals I looked at, and well over $250 lower than the Hertz site.
Old Aug 3, 2010, 2:53 pm

I just book Budget using the Island Air code of U030087 for 8 days. $168/$264 all in for a midsize

It was the best I could find from all the majors.
Old Aug 3, 2010, 9:42 pm

Originally Posted by Mary2e
I just book Budget using the Island Air code of U030087 for 8 days. $168/$264 all in for a midsize

It was the best I could find from all the majors.
Tell us about this code. You enter it on the Budget site? Is it for weekly rates?
Old Aug 4, 2010, 7:47 am

Yes, you enter it as a BCN #. I'm not sure if it's weekly, or just a general discount.

I got it from the Island Air website. All the majors are listed, and I tried them all. Budget came up with the best discount. All the rest gave the standard 15% or so they give for airline rental codes.

I seem to recall using this several years ago with similar excellent results.

FWIW - convertibles don't seem to be impacted much by the code
Old Aug 4, 2010, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by popfly
I just bid $20/day on Priceline for a 7 day rental this month and the offer was accepted. Total is $205 and is booked with Hertz. Over $100 cheaper than other sites/deals I looked at, and well over $250 lower than the Hertz site.
Which island?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.