Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Renting Cars on Kaua`i" Thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2013, 9:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by coastieexpat
Quick question folks, is it worth hiring a Jeep in Kauai ?
We rented a convertible one time and they gave us a Wrangler. We took the top off before leaving the lot. As we were pulling out of the lot, it started to rain. As long time Kauai visitors, we knew that was a mistake as it's a real effort to take the top on and off and it might rain frequently. We turned around and got a Sebring convertible where you press a button to put the top up.

If you're adventurous and plan on going off road to places like Polihale beach, it might be fun. It's hardly necessary or worth it (IMHO). I'm sure there are others who wouldn't dream of Kauai without an SUV, but you won't miss anything without one.
Old Oct 8, 2013, 3:54 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Thanks , you just saved me a few hundred right there
Old Oct 8, 2013, 7:58 pm

Programs: Life, Love and Laughter
Originally Posted by coastieexpat
Quick question folks, is it worth hiring a Jeep in Kauai ?
I agree with ILuvParis.
I drive to Polihale every time I go to Kauai with regular rental cars and have had no problems. The only exception was when the road to Polihale was closed to all traffic. There might be one or two places in the interior where four wheel drive might be nice, but still not worth hundreds of $$
Old Oct 10, 2013, 12:58 pm

FYI, I discovered yesterday that you can no longer search for rental cars on Costcotravel.com without signing in with your membership number. No more shopping around to see if a good deal is available before deciding to become a member (if that was actually happening).
Old Oct 11, 2013, 7:15 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by ILuvParis
FYI, I discovered yesterday that you can no longer search for rental cars on Costcotravel.com without signing in with your membership number. No more shopping around to see if a good deal is available before deciding to become a member (if that was actually happening).
This makes sense, as the rates are supposed to be for Costco members only. Plus, maybe the car rental companies will be less afraid of advertising really low rates on the website now that only members can view.
Old Oct 11, 2013, 5:34 pm

Programs: Life, Love and Laughter
Some friends of mine are going to Kauai and the Big Island next week. I reminded them to keep checking rates on discounthawaiicarentals.com in the three week period before they arrive. They did and they found rates that were 40% lower than their original reservations (on both islands)!
So, it really does pay to keep checking, especially close in to your arrival.
On both islands they got compact cars for about $20 a day, including all taxes and fees.
Old Oct 12, 2013, 10:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by ILuvParis
I just searched on costco.com w/out logging in. Try it again. Their prices are still high for Jan/Feb in hawaii.
Old Oct 13, 2013, 6:14 am

Originally Posted by philemer
I just searched on costco.com w/out logging in. Try it again. Their prices are still high for Jan/Feb in hawaii.
You're right. It must have been a temporary glitch.
Old Nov 3, 2013, 11:22 am
Original Member

Programs: AS, UA, HY, Hil, Merr
Heads up on renting a car from Thrifty on Kauai.

Our rental deal thru DiscountHawaiiCarRental was great, thank you for the referral. We rented for $225, all required fees included (10-3 to 10-11)

The rental company, Thrifty was an awful choice. They do not have a counter at the airport, only the offsite non air conditioned building. The bus pick up was fine. The wait for getting to the counter with only 6 people ahead of me was 1 1/2 hours. They only had two lines and were out of "cars". Only SUV's and vans. When I did got to the counter, I was offered (we were reserved for an intermediate) a van or a crown Victoria. If we insisted on an intermediate, there were three people waiting ahead of us for them.

We took the Crown Vic, in spite of gas prices, as Kauai is small and therefore the extra gas would not be that bad. We were traveling heavy (17 days) and liked the added space. Parking was only a minor problem once. Waiting for an intermediate or similar was an undetermined time.

The counter people were nice, just overwhelmed by the lack of cars.

Returning the car early in the morning went well, once we found an employee (2 minutes).
Old Nov 3, 2013, 12:58 pm

That's one of the problems with Discount Hawaii. It's usually Thrifty or Alamo. A couple of years ago, I got a Thrifty car and it had cockroaches in the trunk. We got a couple of roach motels, which took care of the problem, but the jerk at Thrifty said, "What do you expect. It's Kauai." I've never had a problem with cockroaches before that or since.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 9:47 am

Programs: Delta FO
Lihue, Kauai car rental rates are through the roof!

We're heading to Kauai later this month. I checked about a month ago and a weekly car rental rate was around $130 (very reasonable). Well, its time to book and they're now getting $400+! Anyone know if this is temporary and if/when sanity will return?
Old Jan 6, 2014, 11:35 am

Programs: no status
My reservation is also about 30% higher than last time. Also find it difficult to find a decent place to stay. I guess it must be a combination of high season and economic improvments that is increasing demand.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 12:02 pm

Programs: Delta FO
Yes, accommodations are challenging. We ended up with an oceanfront condo on Poipu for a very reasonable price. Let me know if you would like some info.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 11:08 pm

Originally Posted by richardinmotion
We're heading to Kauai later this month. I checked about a month ago and a weekly car rental rate was around $130 (very reasonable). Well, its time to book and they're now getting $400+! Anyone know if this is temporary and if/when sanity will return?
Check every day. If you're a Costco member, try www.costcotravel.com. Also try http://www.discounthawaiicarrental.com/
Old Jan 8, 2014, 2:25 am

I'm going to Maui early February, and I have seen insane prices when searching Kayak/Priceline, but through my favorite Hawaii channels, decent deals.

I wrote a Hawaii rental car FAQ on TripAdvisor. It says Maui but applies near 100% to Kauai.

In short, try:
The Hawaiian Airlines Avis discount code.
The Island Air Budget discount code.
The Chase UR portal (prepaid, but free cancellations up to two days before). I see $211 for Jan 24-31, full size.
I find Costco is really good when general rates are low, not so much when general rates are high. I see $204 for a Standard Jan 24-31. $144(!) Jan 17-24.
Discount Hawaii Car Rental
Useaamiles.com I find great when prices are sky-high (log-in first for cheaper prices, you can use as little as 1000 miles, the rest cash, this site DOES NOT include taxes/fees).

Last edited by tjbrooks; Jan 8, 2014 at 2:35 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.