Consolidated "Renting Cars on Kaua`i" Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Renting Cars on Kaua`i" Thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2014, 2:04 pm

Programs: Delta FO
discounthawaiicarrental price will be all-inclusive. Yes, they seem to be half price compared to the major sites. I used them and ended up with a Jeep Wrangler 4x4 for only $159 a week. I had reserved an economy car, but they had none.

You don't need a 4x4 in Hawaii. With the rain, trails are unusable anyway... believe me, we tried

Gas is around $4.40 a gallon, so a smaller car makes sense.
Old Feb 7, 2014, 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by richardinmotion
discounthawaiicarrental price will be all-inclusive. Yes, they seem to be half price compared to the major sites. I used them and ended up with a Jeep Wrangler 4x4 for only $159 a week. I had reserved an economy car, but they had none.

You don't need a 4x4 in Hawaii. With the rain, trails are unusable anyway... believe me, we tried

Gas is around $4.40 a gallon, so a smaller car makes sense.
gotcha, makes sense , especially with the gas price ! 160 would be nice for a week too...i'll keep looking but those sites seem much better ..even though i have status with avis and national
Old Feb 7, 2014, 2:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by jordandawg05
gotcha, makes sense , especially with the gas price ! 160 would be nice for a week too...i'll keep looking but those sites seem much better ..even though i have status with avis and national
I have status with National but almost never use them for Hawaii and Avis is almost always the highest. Even if you book with Discount Hawaii, keep checking with Costco (if you have a membership). They deal with Alamo and Enterprise and the National and Enterprise cars all come from the same lot.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 11:18 am

I've been looking for 10 days in mid-May. I've made and cancelled about 15 reservations in the past few weeks - with Costco and Discount Hawaii - as the prices have dropped about $150 over the past month. Interestingly, compact, intermediate, standard and full size all seem to be about the same price. Currently, I have an intermediate at $225 all in. for 10 days. I usually book economy because they never have them and I get a free upgrade. Currently, however, economy prices are higher. I guess they're on to my (our) tricks.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 2:22 pm

Programs: MR Plat
Have you checked Thrifty?

I made a booking about a week ago for a midsize for $124/week, $150 all-in. Staying May20-25.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by Globex
Have you checked Thrifty?

I made a booking about a week ago for a midsize for $124/week, $150 all-in. Staying May20-25.
I had a reservation with them until yesterday - through Discount Hawaii. Today, Costco beat them by $40 (Enterprise), Now $208 for a compact for 10 days.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
I don't think the price you got is all that bad. But it will probably get better - I've had some tremendous luck getting cars within a week of travel.

I think I got a convertible in HNL last August for $150 for the week from National.

I've pretty much stopped reserving cars a month or two in advance - the prices always change and I end up cancelling. I may as well just wait
Old Apr 11, 2014, 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by Mary2e
I don't think the price you got is all that bad. But it will probably get better - I've had some tremendous luck getting cars within a week of travel.

I think I got a convertible in HNL last August for $150 for the week from National.

I've pretty much stopped reserving cars a month or two in advance - the prices always change and I end up cancelling. I may as well just wait
Since I'm between opportunities (), I just check every day and re-book when it drops.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere

I get tired of checking all the car companies. I used to book with my corporate rate and keep checking as the trip gets closer.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 9:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
My go to is www.costcotravel.com. I book a reservation there first, and check other sources if I have time and initiative.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 12:27 pm

Programs: AA, TY, UR, UA, US, WN, MR, SPG
Kauai / LIH Rental Car Question

Hey guys,

I rank myself pretty high up there on the frequent flier knowledge scale, but when it comes to rental cars, I'm a complete and utter newb.

I'm going on my honeymoon 6/23/14 through 7/5/14 on Kauai. I currently have no loyalty accounts with car rental companies, so I'm just looking for the best deal. I am a AAA and Costco member, and carry multiple AMEX cards.

So far, the best I've found is through Costco:

Alamo Intermediate - $307
Budget Standard - $339
Budget Fullsize - $365

Through AAA, I can't find anything even close really.

Those numbers seem a bit high to me for 13 days, with the cheapest being that Alamo quote at $23.61/day. Is it just that expensive because it's Hawaii / airport pickup / the middle of summer? Any recommendations on saving cash?

I'm planning to book on my AMEX and use their protection. $18 for insurance for 13 days is worth it to me (CA resident, better rate).

Thanks for any help!
Old Apr 24, 2014, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Sometimes, better rates are available if you book through the islandair.com website. But $154/week for an intermediate does not sound all that high to me.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 2:33 pm

Programs: AA, TY, UR, UA, US, WN, MR, SPG
Originally Posted by guv1976
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Sometimes, better rates are available if you book through the islandair.com website. But $154/week for an intermediate does not sound all that high to me.
Thank you! I guess I was expecting it to be closer to $20/day (~$250 total), but that may have been entirely unrealistic.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 7:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2.5MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by roki
Thank you! I guess I was expecting it to be closer to $20/day (~$250 total), but that may have been entirely unrealistic.
I'd think that $20/day for a Hawaii destination can be characterized as a bit unrealistic. Nothing personal, but I can't even get $20/day in the Seattle area and I know it has more supply vs demand than does Hawaii.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 7:48 pm

Programs: AS,UA
Originally Posted by mikelat
I'd think that $20/day for a Hawaii destination can be characterized as a bit unrealistic. Nothing personal, but I can't even get $20/day in the Seattle area and I know it has more supply vs demand than does Hawaii.
I just looked my Lihue reciept from 2/2012 on priceline name your own price and landed it for 21 bucks a day. I have gotten some great rates with Priceline name your own price

You might need to get creative with that long of a stay,like book a week and see if you can add days for the same price which priceline lets you do

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.