FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Consolidated "Renting Cars on Kaua`i" Thread
Old Nov 3, 2013, 11:22 am
ranles
Original Member

Programs: AS, UA, HY, Hil, Merr
Heads up on renting a car from Thrifty on Kauai.

Our rental deal thru DiscountHawaiiCarRental was great, thank you for the referral. We rented for $225, all required fees included (10-3 to 10-11)

The rental company, Thrifty was an awful choice. They do not have a counter at the airport, only the offsite non air conditioned building. The bus pick up was fine. The wait for getting to the counter with only 6 people ahead of me was 1 1/2 hours. They only had two lines and were out of "cars". Only SUV's and vans. When I did got to the counter, I was offered (we were reserved for an intermediate) a van or a crown Victoria. If we insisted on an intermediate, there were three people waiting ahead of us for them.

We took the Crown Vic, in spite of gas prices, as Kauai is small and therefore the extra gas would not be that bad. We were traveling heavy (17 days) and liked the added space. Parking was only a minor problem once. Waiting for an intermediate or similar was an undetermined time.

The counter people were nice, just overwhelmed by the lack of cars.

Returning the car early in the morning went well, once we found an employee (2 minutes).