Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Renting Cars on Kaua`i" Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Renting Cars on Kaua`i" Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2009, 6:11 pm

Programs: HHonors (Gold), One Pass (Peon)
When we were in Kauai a few years ago, we had a standard Buick for a rental car. The parking lot at Kee beach was very rough and somewhere I lost two hubcaps (don't really know if they were "lost" when I rented the car), but I found a matching one on our trip to the "Grand Canyon of Kauai" and threw it into the trunk. The car also had a lot of "dings and dangs" on it - I don't think I was responsible - but I never seem to check my rental cars the way I should. Nothing was ever said about it. FWIW, the cars will get filthy dirty in Kauai with all of the "red dirt".

Enjoy!

DD
Old Jan 27, 2009, 10:18 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles
JMHO....

I only rent Jeeps in Hawaii.

Take the top off, throw in a Hawaiian music CD.....and let the wind fly.

It just adds to the whole island experience for us.
Old Jan 27, 2009, 10:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by JimG
JMHO....

I only rent Jeeps in Hawaii.

Take the top off, throw in a Hawaiian music CD.....and let the wind fly.

It just adds to the whole island experience for us.
Having been to Kauai and renting convertibles many times, we decided a Jeep might be fun. The hassle taking the top off (and memories of RAIN) was enough for us to not leave the parking lot. We returned to the desk and got a convertible with an automatic top. I would never rent a Jeep (for the removable top) on Kauai unless I needed it for some particular task. If you don't mind potentially stopping often to put the top back on or enjoy the adventure of getting soaked, go for it. Granted, some parts of the year, the likelihood of rain is much less than others, but on Kauai, the potential is always there. YMMV.

Last edited by ILuvParis; Jan 27, 2009 at 10:37 am
Old Jan 27, 2009, 3:04 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
Originally Posted by ILuvParis
Having been to Kauai and renting convertibles many times, we decided a Jeep might be fun. The hassle taking the top off (and memories of RAIN) was enough for us to not leave the parking lot. We returned to the desk and got a convertible with an automatic top. I would never rent a Jeep (for the removable top) on Kauai unless I needed it for some particular task. If you don't mind potentially stopping often to put the top back on or enjoy the adventure of getting soaked, go for it. Granted, some parts of the year, the likelihood of rain is much less than others, but on Kauai, the potential is always there. YMMV.
Wimp.
Old Jan 29, 2009, 1:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by DoggyDaddy
When we were in Kauai a few years ago, we had a standard Buick for a rental car. The parking lot at Kee beach was very rough and somewhere I lost two hubcaps (don't really know if they were "lost" when I rented the car), but I found a matching one on our trip to the "Grand Canyon of Kauai" and threw it into the trunk. The car also had a lot of "dings and dangs" on it - I don't think I was responsible - but I never seem to check my rental cars the way I should. Nothing was ever said about it. FWIW, the cars will get filthy dirty in Kauai with all of the "red dirt".

Enjoy!

DD
The more dirt you get on the vehicle the more 'local' it is

Had one on LIH for 3 weeks, and after some back roads we went on... it was f i l t h y ! (Washed it off at a car wash prior to return so it wasn't as obvious we were off-roadin' it )
Old Jan 30, 2009, 8:18 am

Programs: UA, Midwest, NWA/Delta, HH
We rented a convertible last march. Worked out great!

Although it does rain sometimes on Kauai..... more so that Maui.
Old Feb 2, 2009, 4:34 am

Originally Posted by tnt71
My wife and I have visited Maui three times and Oahu once. This year we are going to Kauai and I heard the island is less developed. Do you need a 4 wheel drive to see any parts of the island? Would a standard economy car detract from the trip at all making some places inaccessible?
Unless you plan to go off-roading to see hidden spots which are sometimes treacherous I would say I full size or luxury car is very comfortable. The jeeps are very loud when driving over 30 miles an hour and the convertibles get loud over 40.

On a separate note, I have some coupon codes specifically for Hawaii hertz rentals if interested.
Old Feb 2, 2009, 1:00 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by LocalJapGuy
Unless you plan to go off-roading to see hidden spots which are sometimes treacherous I would say I full size or luxury car is very comfortable. The jeeps are very loud when driving over 30 miles an hour and the convertibles get loud over 40.

On a separate note, I have some coupon codes specifically for Hawaii hertz rentals if interested.
I would be interested...but would they get me a $200 or less weekly rate for a midsize?
Old Feb 2, 2009, 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by broadwayblue
I would be interested...but would they get me a $200 or less weekly rate for a midsize?
I just got $13 a day ($255 before taxes, $347 total) on Priceline for a mid-size in March for 2 1/2 weeks (from National). That is a weekly rate of $148 (after taxes) - far better than anything else I've seen here. They offered me a mid-size for $15 a day once my offer was accepted.

This was sandwiched between a couple of four day, $10 a day weekends (at Alamo). I had reserved the $10 a day weekends several weeks ago. Not sure if that is still available.

Last edited by ILuvParis; Feb 20, 2009 at 3:15 pm
Old Feb 2, 2009, 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by broadwayblue
These are the rates I pull up.

Compact $31.95/day $159.75/wk
Midsize $35.95/day $179.75/wk
Full Size $42.95/day $214.75/wk
Luxury $57.95/day $289.75/wk
Convertible $54.95/day $274.75/wk
Minivan $59.95/day $299.75/wk
Jeep $82.34/day $414.44/wk
Midsize SUV $76.94/day $329.84/wk
Fullsize SUV $85.94/day $463.94/wk

Use CDP#1704073

It can be combined with some PC#'s also to get the price down more.
Let me know if you go with this and how the prices are. If you have any questions. Don't hesitate to PM me.
Old Feb 4, 2009, 3:07 pm

Car Rental -- Kauai-- Priceline Help ???

Background--
Traveled the last 3 years over Xmas time to Kauai, making car ressies with no problem with the rates. Granted this past year was a little bit higher than years past even though I booked in March for the Xmas holiday. Realized that since we had both Xmas and New Years that it wasn't "that bad" -- 11 days w/all the taxes etc. for mid-size w/Alamo (using coupons/codes) $308.

This year FF seats have finally been loaded in and we've got our tickets on the 5 day courtesy hold. May try to "tweak" the days a bit if possible but don't think that will be possible until later in the fall.

I'm now ready to make the car reservations and I'm in sticker shock. I'm getting rates of over $300 per week BEFORE all the assortment of taxes and fees. I try to split up the reservation to get it a bit lower (since we arrive on December 19th) and it doesn't help one bit. Try using Costco discount codes/coupons, Entertainment book coupons etc. No luck at all.

HELP!!! I'm usually very resourceful. Over the last 3 years I've been "befriended" the manager at Alamo who's taken good care of our family. I called up today, though I haven't been able to reach Robin yet, and was told
"OMG.. I just plugged in the usually AAA rate and it's coming up at around $350 per week... you'd think it wouldn't be THAT high now since it's almost 11 mos. out.. that's the rate we were charging in November for this December." So at least I'm not hallucinating.

I went exploring Hotwire. I know that Priceline usually is a bit cheaper than Hotwire. Hotwire at first was listing a full size at $24.95 per day when I put in itinerary but then when I selected it it came back at $26.95. The $2 isn't going to break me but why couldn't it have listed it at $26.95 to start with. I'm assuming that I could do Priceline a bit lower...

So here's my question. What would a "reasonable" rate be for a Priceline bid for rental car. I've done Priceline before for hotels after doing my homework of lurking at Bidding for Travel (don't you just LOVE Sheryl...NOT) and Better Bidding and have been pleased with our "wins" over the last 8 yrs or so. I've never had a problem getting decent reasonable car rates to warrant trying PL. Also, at this point in time I'm a bit uncomfortable doing a non-refundable pre=pay so far in advance. What are the "surprise" charges that I should be aware of that will be added to my bid? If Hotwire's offering $25 should I try a bit lower? I'm sure since we're a family of 4 who hasn't been able to travel "too" light I should book a midsize or larger and book what we need not expecting an upgrade.
Any help/advice regarding PL and getting a somewhat "cheaper" car rental in LIH would be greatly appreciated.

Mahalo,
Carolyn
Old Feb 5, 2009, 4:26 pm

I've Pricelined cars in HI before and in the past, have gotten very reasonable rates. Priceline also tells you what the extra fees are and so on before you finalize your bid, so there are no surprises.

However, the car rental companies have gotten wise to the downturn in Hawaii travel and so have started shipping out a lot of the cars that used to be based in the islands. Which means cheap car deals may just be a thing of the past until tourism volume returns as well. I was looking at rates around $100/day for an economy car next week in Kona, for ex., though hopefully that's the worst it will get.

This far out, I'd book the cheapest refundable/cancellable option you can find (sounds like Hotwire) and hope the situation improves by winter and you can try again. I'd also explore whether you have access to any corporate rates that might still be priced based on the olden days of ample car supply in the islands.
Old Feb 5, 2009, 6:19 pm

The rates are going to be higher at that time of year, but making the cheapest cancelable reservation is good advice. (I took a picture of the National lot during the holidays this last December because it was so funny - TWO CARS in the entire lot. Not very funny if you need a car, however.)

After making a reservation (and checking with all your usual sources repeatedly), I would just keep trying Priceline repeatedly for the next several months. I generally start at half the lowest cancelable rate I have reserved and then bid up to a daily rate that will give me about the same total price as my reservation (if necessary). You still might not do much better than $25 at day, but you've got many months to try. I just wouldn't bid on the high side until many months down the road.

My cousin is here currently and got a van because we're working on our condos and hauling stuff around. However, for the second half of her trip, she hasn't been able to find even an economy car for less than $50 a day. Such is the price for waiting, but it just goes to show you that right now all the companies are charging high rates for just about any time.
Old Feb 5, 2009, 7:34 pm

Thanks for the Insight

Right now I've got a backup for $300 per week using Costco discount. The Hotwire rate (unfortunately non-refundable) was $26.95 per before all the extra fees. I was also playing around with the Alamo site with breaking up the ressie into 2 so I'd get to use a coupon 2X and found that after 25th they're "sold out" on all car selections. Kind of find that hard to believe this far out but who knows. I also made arrangements with the internet site from hawaii.com that gave me a rate of $338ish for 9 days but that was before I had actual air (on hold -- still tweaking the flights) and now we'll need 3 days prior... that will probably be doable on a PL bid since it's 12/19-22. Might even try the who time but since it's over Xmas who knows. Think I'll just keep on checking the regular rates and also popping on to Hotwire to see how much things start to creep up.

When we picked up the car on 12/22 this year the "grumpy" agent at Alamo said that they were sold out after Xmas. I believe that but I can't believe that as of 11 mos out they're SOLD OUT from 12/24 on.

I'm also going to call directly to Alamo and hopefully get to speak to the Robin the Mgr there who's been very kind to us over the last 3 years to get his take on things. He might even have some codes to key in.

Mahalo,
Carolyn
Old Feb 5, 2009, 10:44 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Try rate code QVWHI and coupon code AD62435KC. This however is for a convertible but the rate is not bad at 234.00 per week and 39.00 for extra days. 10 days is 459.37 all in. This is with Alamo and I punched in next Dec 19-29

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.