Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Renting Cars on Kaua`i" Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Renting Cars on Kaua`i" Thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2003, 9:40 am

Programs: HHonors (Gold), One Pass (Peon)
We were in Kawaii last November and had rented a Buick Century. We went on the road to Ke'e Beach (near Na Pali) and the road to the parking area was very rough. To make a long story short, near the end of our stay, we noticed that we were missing the two front wheel covers (hubcaps). There were some dents on the fender which we also noticed but did not know when they happened, or if they were there when we rented the car (should have looked when we got the car). Along the way, we found a hubcap along the side of the road and threw it in the trunk.

Nothing was said when we returned the car (missing one hubcap), and nothing was ever sent to us.

DD
Old Aug 2, 2005, 12:04 pm

What type of car for Kauai?

My fiance and I are trying to figure out whether we should rent a convertible for Hawaii, or some sort of SUV. For the SUV, we'll probably go with a Jeep Wrangler to have a rugged feel, but given all the red dirt on the island, is either of these options even worth it?

The Ultimate Kauai Book (the Blue Book) seems to marginally recommend SUVs, but not very strongly.

We are renting a convertible on Maui for sure.
Old Aug 2, 2005, 12:30 pm

just get a regular car. convertible is impractical here with frequently passing rain. suv not worth it as you won't be going anywhere you'll need it.
Old Aug 2, 2005, 12:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by kersie
We are renting a convertible on Maui for sure.
Just be certain to slather yourselves with high-SPF sunscreen! The ultraviolet intensity in our latitudes is much higher than on the mainland -- and with the top down you'll get no thermal clues to warn you that you're broiling.

Aloha,
--jt
Old Aug 2, 2005, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Hmmm. I just reserved a convertible for November for Kauai and a regular car for Oahu.

I'm thinking that perhaps the reverse would be better.

Thanks for the heads up about the frequent showers.
Old Aug 2, 2005, 1:53 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Originally Posted by Mary2e
Hmmm. I just reserved a convertible for November for Kauai and a regular car for Oahu.

I'm thinking that perhaps the reverse would be better.
I would advise you do that.
Old Aug 2, 2005, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
I would advise you do that.
Yup. I second this advice. A regular car on Kauai will be just fine. My wife and I found that the Jeep we rented in Maui was well-worth it, though, especially on the road to Hana and some of the "hidden" places that we explored.
Old Aug 2, 2005, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Many thanks. I'll do it. We rent a convertible because we really enjoy driving around the islands with the top down - but we've never been to Kauai and didn't think we might be blessed a little more frequently than we are used to on Oahu or the Big Island.

Thanks for the heads up. ^
Old Aug 2, 2005, 4:41 pm

We had a car and it was just fine. I don't remember any rain when we were there in July.
Old Aug 2, 2005, 4:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by Mary2e
Many thanks. I'll do it. We rent a convertible because we really enjoy driving around the islands with the top down - but we've never been to Kauai and didn't think we might be blessed a little more frequently than we are used to on Oahu or the Big Island.

Thanks for the heads up. ^
Mary - unless you paid a heck of a lot more for the convertible, keep it! If I remember, you'll be in Poipu ("Hole in the clouds"), the sunny side of the island. I was there in the rainy season (January) with a convertible and the only time we had to put the top up was when we went to Princeville (up north). But again, if you paid significantly more for the convertible, yes, I'd switch because it could be rainy and then you will have wasted the money.

As to the original question - whatever is cheapest! I always go to Orbitz - take the cheapest car (non subcompact) and then double check the rental company's website to make sure I got the best deal).
Old Aug 2, 2005, 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by faithng
We had a car and it was just fine. I don't remember any rain when we were there in July.
we are having a more than usually rainy summer all over the island. rain here isn't something that one can plan for quite the same way as on the mainland.
Old Aug 2, 2005, 7:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by jtkauai
we are having a more than usually rainy summer all over the island. rain here isn't something that one can plan for quite the same way as on the mainland.
Wow, I guess I got lucky. I was there July 17-25 and the only rain was at night.
Old Aug 2, 2005, 8:47 pm

Programs: SPG Gold
I plan on going to several of the hikes recommended in Kauai Revealed, can anyone comment on if some of the more 'remote' hikes would be better served with an SUV? I seem to remember reading that with several hikes, you could get to a better starting point with an SUV, whereas with a car you'd have to do some 'wasted' walking for lack of a better term...

I'm renting a midsize in Maui, we'll be out in the sun enough and I'd rather not drive around everywhere with sunscreen on.
Old Aug 2, 2005, 11:08 pm

Originally Posted by bigbadbuff
I plan on going to several of the hikes recommended in Kauai Revealed, can anyone comment on if some of the more 'remote' hikes would be better served with an SUV? I seem to remember reading that with several hikes, you could get to a better starting point with an SUV, whereas with a car you'd have to do some 'wasted' walking for lack of a better term...

I'm renting a midsize in Maui, we'll be out in the sun enough and I'd rather not drive around everywhere with sunscreen on.
I can think of a few hikes in waimea and koke'e where you might get a little (very little) closer with a 4wd. But your rental agreement will probably prohibit going on those roads, and secondly, IMHO it won't matter or be worth it. Get an SUV if you like driving one. Otherwise a car will get you everywhere here just fine. Have fun.
Old Aug 3, 2005, 7:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I recommend to visitors rent the smallest car you can comfy fit into. The Kauai (or Maui etc) roads are narrow, the parking spaces even narrower and gasoline is close to $3.00/gal. As hinted you will see many non-HI lobster-colored people in convertables. Also the convertable cloth top is easily cut by thieves and your valuables are stolen and sold usually for drugs. I have seen many cut and robbed in Maui along the more remote spots.

MisterNice

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.