Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Renting Cars on Kaua`i" Thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2005, 7:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Originally Posted by ILuvParis
Mary - unless you paid a heck of a lot more for the convertible, keep it! If I remember, you'll be in Poipu ("Hole in the clouds"), the sunny side of the island.
I think the convertible was substantially more than a mid/full size car which we usually get. I'm going to have to check it out.

Another reason we took the convertible in Kauai is because we will be there the longest. We won't qualify for the weekly rate on Oahu this trip.

Since November is usually the start of winter and the slightly rainier season, I'm thinking a regular car or SUV might be the answer.
Old Aug 3, 2005, 11:59 am

Wow - thanks for all of the comments. The convertible was significantly more on Kauai (not so much on Maui) than other cars and I think based on this we might just get a regular car. SUVs run the gamut in price range from nearly equivalent to a lot more, depending on what type of SUV you get.

I think we'll stick with the convertible for Maui, though. We both grew up in convertible families, so we're used to their problems (albeit not on the islands) with the sun but both love the feel. (As my mom puts it, it's like being on a motorcycle without worrying that you're going to kill yourself.)
Old Aug 3, 2005, 1:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by bigbadbuff
I plan on going to several of the hikes recommended in Kauai Revealed, can anyone comment on if some of the more 'remote' hikes would be better served with an SUV? I seem to remember reading that with several hikes, you could get to a better starting point with an SUV, whereas with a car you'd have to do some 'wasted' walking for lack of a better term...

I'm renting a midsize in Maui, we'll be out in the sun enough and I'd rather not drive around everywhere with sunscreen on.
THE hike, the Kalalau Trail, begins at the end of the road, which will handle any size vehicle.

http://www.naturalbornhikers.com/Kalalau/Kalalau.htm
Old Aug 3, 2005, 1:42 pm

If you plan on going to Polihale Beach on the West side of Kauai, I would recommend an SUV/Jeep. We got a Jeep in Kauai last year and I am glad I did. The road to Polihale is BUMPY and a Jeep is useful, although it is a rental so you can be rough with it. But I saw several "Convertibles" attempting the drive to Polihale and they were forced to drive at a snail's pace and most of them didn't make it all the way anyways. I found it quite fun to drive all over in the Jeep near Polihale. I think I booked thru Orbitz, sometimes you can snag a good deal there and get a Jeep Wrangler for cheaper than you can get a normal SUV. I think the Jeep was about the same price as a mid-sized car for the 5 days I was there. BTW, I rented from Alamo so you might CALL them and check specifically for Jeep prices from LIH. Sometimes only the higher-end SUVs are listed on the website and NOT the Wrangler, so double check to make sure you get a quote for the cheaper Wrangler..........And bonus, you can turn the Wrangler into a convertible too if you want........................
Old Aug 3, 2005, 1:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by gregorygrady
If you plan on going to Polihale Beach on the West side of Kauai, I would recommend an SUV/Jeep.
I agree with gregorygrady -- a Jeep or other 4WD with good road clearance is best for the trip out to Polihale . . . which is definitely worth the effort. It's an amazing site, one of the most beautiful beaches in the world.

Enjoy!

Aloha,
--jt
Old Aug 3, 2005, 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by gregorygrady
Sometimes only the higher-end SUVs are listed on the website and NOT the Wrangler, so double check to make sure you get a quote for the cheaper Wrangler..........And bonus, you can turn the Wrangler into a convertible too if you want........................
That was our thought on the Wrangler, although based on Orbitz, I thought only National and Hertz had them. Hertz we can get an ok price on (but more than the convertible with all of our discounts through Avis), but National was outrageous.

The strangest thing just happened. I called Alamo, they gave me a quote on the Wrangler, but it was even higher than the rate at Hertz. When I balked and said that sounded a little high, she asked me what the best rate I'd been quoted was. I told her, honestly, that I didn't know because I didn't have that information in front of me. All of the sudden, $250 got knocked off the price of the rental... and now it's the same price as the super-discounted convertible we were getting from Avis.

Last edited by kersie; Aug 3, 2005 at 2:36 pm
Old Aug 5, 2005, 7:28 pm

Programs: SPG Gold
I ended up getting a SUV for Kauai- 7 days thru Priceline (Budget) for $236 all in, and a Full Size for Maui for 6 days, again thru Priceline (Hertz) for $180.
Old Aug 5, 2005, 9:52 pm

you don't need 4wd/suv for polihale. just watch the potholes and the more it has rained, the riskier, so beware of puddles that you can't see the depth of. you need to be a decent driver, and be willing to drive 5 very bumpy miles that takes 45 minutes. the car won't matter too much (although i'd avoid something really low like a porsche). i have probably driven there 50+ times in all seasons.

if you are driving there, know that kauai car rentals have a cleaning agreement. you'd better not get it too dirty, or if you do, clean it up before returning, if you don't wish to pay.

and a final note on polihale: be very careful about the waves, and don't plan on going in the water. it can occasionally be calm enough, but it can also readily kill you. no joke.

Last edited by jtkauai; Aug 5, 2005 at 10:26 pm
Old Aug 5, 2005, 11:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Skymiles
(Per my previous posts) We rented a full-size through Alamo, $295 for 15 days. We took it everywhere imaginable: Poihale, Kokee, Ke'e, Larsens, Secret Beach,the start of the Powerline Trail and even the parking lot of Longs Drugs. It was all the car we needed. The only time a 4wd could have helped us was is if we did the Alaka'i swamp in Kokee but that wasn't in our itinerary. There was a local company (?) that rented heaps for about the same money if you prefer to try to blend in. As far as hikes we did the Nu'alolo Trail/ Nu'alolo Cliffs/ Awa-awapuhi loop hike, 11 miles total and it was (probably) the highlight of our trip. We also did several miles of the Powerline trail (north end) in the rain. Also did the first few miles of the Kalalau trail and another trail somewhere NW of Kapa'a. If interested email me for pictures of the highlights of our hikes.
Old Aug 9, 2005, 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by bigbadbuff
I ended up getting a SUV for Kauai- 7 days thru Priceline (Budget) for $236 all in, and a Full Size for Maui for 6 days, again thru Priceline (Hertz) for $180.
I've always used PL for Hawaii, and gotten really good rates. The Hertz in Kauai has always given me 1 or 2 class upgrades on my PL reservations. Last trip they upgraded my full size to a Caddy, which was a bit more car than I really needed.
Old Mar 18, 2006, 1:21 pm

Programs: Miles&More SEN
Surprised...

I'm surprised about all those "not needed" opinions here. Of course it depends on what you plan to do, but there are many reasons to rent a 4WD from my point of view.
Reason 1: Waimea canyon. There are legal unpaved roads starting near the Koke'e Lodge to the east. You will drive about 30 minutes through the jungle and finally reach the end of a hiking trail which is expected to take several hours. You leave the jungle and suddenly there is a meadow with the most impressive view to Waimea Canyon you could think off. Most likely you're the only one here today.
Reason 2: Na Pali Coast. From the same highway there are several legal roads to the west, indicated by "4WD only" signs. My wife and I tried some of them. Though some hunter roads are marked as kapu (then please don't enter or somebody will close it all), there is a labyrinth of unpaved roads, some of them suddenly end at an abyss with wonderfull views over parts of the Na Pali Coast.
Reason 3: Somebody who might have read this forum was stuck on the Polihale parking lot with his Explorer - it was a rented car which looked like an SUV, but was only 2WD. With my (rented) Wrangler Sport 4WD he was rescued in less than 10 minutes.

In the end we even needed the offroad gear reduction several times without going somewhere "illegal" once.

Side note: use 4WD with caution and always keep in mind, that mother nature is more important than your(/our/my) thrill.
Old Mar 18, 2006, 1:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
This past week, it would have been a good idea! OTOH, so many roads have been closed, one might not have been able to go much of anywhere, anyway!

A couple of weeks ago, I went to Polihale Beach, which is on the northwest side of the island, where the Napali Coast begins. The road is dirt and full of ruts when dry (5 miles beyond where the pavement ends). The beach itself is great and worth the trip. There were several 4WD vehicles which drove on the beach and parked. The sand dunes are much too deep for a regular car to go beyond the parking lots.

http://www.hawaiiweb.com/kauai/html/...ale_beach.html
Old Mar 18, 2006, 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by ILuvParis
This past week, it would have been a good idea! OTOH, so many roads have been closed, one might not have been able to go much of anywhere, anyway!

A couple of weeks ago, I went to Polihale Beach, which is on the northwest side of the island, where the Napali Coast begins. The road is dirt and full of ruts when dry (5 miles beyond where the pavement ends). The beach itself is great and worth the trip. There were several 4WD vehicles which drove on the beach and parked. The sand dunes are much too deep for a regular car to go beyond the parking lots.

http://www.hawaiiweb.com/kauai/html/...ale_beach.html
i you drive out onto the sand at polihale in a 4wd and don't have experience, you are likely going to get stuck. we typically let significant air out of the tires in order to increase traction, for example. i suggest parking before the deep sand.
Old May 10, 2007, 11:20 am

Kauai Rental Car

Ok, I have seen on here where people are getting a convertable for around $25 or so per day. I have tried and keep getting shot down. Am I trying to reserve too far in advance? We will arrive on Sept 14, 2007
Old May 10, 2007, 1:08 pm

I assume you are talking about Priceline? Keep trying (you can try every 3 days) and try increasing the bid by 2 or 3 dollars. It took a couple of attempts but I got a minivan for week of June 17, (on Kauai) for almost half the best rate I could find using coupon/promo codes. You can always have a backup reservation in hand in case priceline doesn't work out.
Cindi

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.