FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Consolidated "Renting Cars on Kaua`i" Thread
Old Jun 8, 2010, 10:08 am
ILuvParis
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by bobjunior
I'll be in Kauai in July and am considering a rental through

discounthawaiicarrental.com or costco (i'll be heading to costco on Friday so trying to wrap up my car rental decision before then)

Re costco, does anyone know if there will be any issue with me renting a car under my mom's membership? Will I have to show my costco membership card in LIH?

Are there any car rental companies that are better accessed at LIH than others? (i.e., some off airport property, some on property, some that you would prefer or avoid for other reasons)

Also, has anyone had any trouble with discounthawaiicarrental.com?
I had a bad experience using a third party website for a trip to the highlands in scotland two years ago (lots of hidden fees that were undisclosed).

THANKS!!
I go to LIH four or five times a year. All of the agencies have shuttle buses across the street. The best deals I have gotten are through Priceline and discounthawaiicarrental.com - which usually ends up with Thrifty. In my experience, both these options are far cheaper than Costco - savings of up to 60% over the major sites. One nice thing that I recently learned is that with Discount Hawaii the second driver is free.

The only issues I have ever had are:

National/Alamo don't like to wash the inside of the windshield - they're usually filthy. Buy some Windex wipes. It's really strange too, since Alamo and National are completely separate here.

All cars, unless they are brand new, are probably going to be dirty inside - that red dirt is a killer.

Once had an issue with cockroaches in a Thifty car. They were complete jerks about it. The agent told us it was a fact of life on the island - no sympathy at all. It was the only time it was ever a problem.

FYI, the National/Enterprise lot is about a mile away, as opposed to at the airport. It isn't of any significance.