Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

State of Hawaii "Safe Travels" Program for International Travelers (ends 25 Mar 2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 2, 2021, 6:08 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: MDTyKe
Effective 8 November 2021, Non-U.S. citizens traveling directly Hawaii from another country must show both vaccination records and a negative COVID test results (NAAT or antigen) within three days of boarding a flight to the U.S. This applies to ALL over the age of 2. Ages 2-17 are exempt from the requirement to be vaccinated but negative COVID testing result still applies with the child having to follow the 'vaccinated (72 hours)' or 'unvaccinated (24 hours)' stream according to their actual vaccination status.

U.S. citizens flying directly to Hawaii from an international destination have two options:
  • Provide proof of vaccination OR
  • Provide proof of negative COVID-19 test result within one day of boarding flight to U.S.
Airlines will screen passengers prior to their departure to the U.S. If foreign passengers fail to meet BOTH requirements and if U.S. citizens fail to meet ONE of the two requirements, they will not be allowed to board the flight. Once in Hawaii, the CDC will conduct compliance checks.

Note: Tests do NOT have to be done with Trusted Travel Partners under the new international federal requirements, but they MUST be done with a Trusted Travel Partner for unvaccinated domestic travel.

International passengers entering the U.S. from another state or territory will be treated as domestic travelers when entering Hawaii.

https://www.khon2.com/coronavirus/gov-david-ige-to-provide-update-on-international-travel-to-hawaii/

FULLY VACCINATED PASSENGERS

VAX - INT'L FLIGHTS NON-STOP/DIRECT TO HAWAI'I
  • Entry Requirements for the United States must be followed.
  • No further checks are completed by the State of Hawai'i, and therefore the Safe Travels/QR etc. is no longer necessary.
  • Vax card/cert AND T-72 test
    • Per CDC rules, U.S. and Internationally administered vaccinations are accepted
    • T-72 test does NOT have to be from a Hawai'i "Trusted Partner", as this is moot.
  • Remember - non-stop international flights into HI only (e.g. NRT-HNL, YVR-KOA, or even ICN-HNL-OGG).
VAX - INT'L FLIGHTS W/ LAYOVERS EN-ROUTE TO HAWAI'I
  • U.S. AND HI procedures apply
  • U.S.:
      • Per CDC rules, U.S. and Internationally administered vaccinations are accepted
      • T-72 test does NOT have to be from a Hawai'i "Trusted Partner", as this is moot.e.g. NRT-SFO-KOA, ICN-SFO-HNL-OGG, FRA-LAX-KOA, YYZ-SFO-LIH
VAX - DOMESTIC FLIGHTS TO HAWAI'I
  • Hawai'i Safe Travel Rules apply:
    • HI Safe Travels Portal application/QR is required
    • Must apply for a 'Vaccine Exception'
    • In line with CDC rules, U.S. and Internationally administered vaccinations are accepted
    • No test needed
    • e.g. SFO-KOA, EWR-HNL or those where you are taking a long trip to the US mainland first such as FRA-LAX-(3 days)-LAX-LIH

NOT FULLY VACCINATED/UNVACCINATED (age 2+)

UNVAX - INT'L FLIGHTS NON-STOP/DIRECT TO HAWAI'I
  • Entry Requirements for the United States must be followed.
  • Foreign nationals, non-US citizens, etc. ARE NOT ADMISSIBLE if unvaccinated UNLESS they meet one of the exceptions which include: Under age 18; Traveling from a recognized country where vaccines are in low supply; Other exceptions as described by CDC
  • Test T-24 from your departing flight to the US/HI, or proof of recent recovery. Test does NOT have to be from a Hawai'i "Trusted Partner"
  • No further checks are completed by the State of Hawai'i, and therefore the Safe Travels/QR etc. is no longer necessary.
UNVAX - INT'L FLIGHTS W/ LAYOVERS EN-ROUTE TO HAWAI'I
  • U.S.:
    • T-24 test from your international-> US departure, or proof of recent recovery.
  • Hawai'i:
    • Exemption to Q possible with a T-72 test required but MUST be from a Hawai'i "Trusted Partner"
    • Foreign nationals? N/A. Non U.S. citizens, nationals, LPR's etc barred from entry to U.S. on this scenario.
    • To kill two birds with one stone, consider a HI approved 'telehealth' test that you can take abroad before departing for the U.S. (Azova Lucira?)
    • Remember that although the U.S. accepts antigen tests, HI does not at this time.
    • Alternatively, plan a sufficiently long layover to get another HI-approved rapid test at a major US airport hub ($$$$), or a trip out to Walgreens for their HI-approved IDNow rapid test.
UNVAX - DOMESTIC FLIGHTS TO HAWAI'I
  • Exemption to Q possible with a T-72 test required but MUST be from a Hawai'i "Trusted Partner"
Print Wikipost

State of Hawaii "Safe Travels" Program for International Travelers (ends 25 Mar 2022)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2021, 1:07 pm

Ok great! Thanks for the info. And yes, they have expanded the list of trusted testing companies, resulting in a reduced cost thank goodness.
Old Nov 11, 2021, 8:10 pm

Programs: Starbucks Gold :-)
Originally Posted by PetrozzaFam
Ok great! Thanks for the info. And yes, they have expanded the list of trusted testing companies, resulting in a reduced cost thank goodness.
Originally Posted by emcampbe
yes - one that is trusted for HI. Last time I saw, I thought for Canada it was only Via Westjet or AC, but maybe that’s expanded now? HI will not allow you to bypass quarantine otherwise - can’t just be a test, but one done through a place approved by HI.
They have not expanded the list of testing companies - where are you reading this? FYI There's no need to get a HI approved test if vaccinated (an assumption, since traveling from Canada). In fact, HI does not require a test - at all - if vaccinated.

The only person that wants to see a test is the US; and an antigen etc is fine.

If flying nonstop to HI (eg YVR-HNL/YVR-KOA etc), then a Safe Travels account isn't even needed.
If NOT flying non-stop (eg YYZ-SFO-HNL), then you DO need a Safe Travels account, and can upload your vax card under "Other Documents" - or - when the website is updated, under the COVID Vaccination Exception section.

Last edited by MDTyKe; Nov 11, 2021 at 8:33 pm
Old Nov 12, 2021, 1:54 am

Programs: BA GGL
I am really struggling to get my head around what's required.
UK citizen, double vaccinated with Pfizer (administered in the UK, not the US).
Here's my journey:
LHR-LAX. Arrive around 19:00. Layover overnight is 14hrs.
LAX-KOA. Departs 09:00.
Obviously I'm entering the US and therefore count as a domestic passenger for the second leg. But as my vaccine wasn't administered in the US, rather the UK, it seems I cannot bypass quarantine without a test?
Does this mean I:
1. Can get a PCR test in London T-48 (allowing for the day layover) to use this same test result as the T-72 for the Hawaii boarding? This wouldn't be with a 'trusted provider' as none exist in the UK.
Or:
2. Am forced into the awkward position of getting a 'trusted provider' test at LAX (NAAT/PCR with 1hr turnaround at $250) the night before the morning departure? I'm not sure this is even possible given the timings.
Or:
3. Can I enter the US in the usual way, with an antigen test, then travel onward to Hawaii as I'm vaccinated?

The official site seems to send me around in circles, which is frustrating. What to do...

Last edited by mmxbreaks; Nov 12, 2021 at 5:57 am
Old Nov 12, 2021, 4:24 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums
Original Poster

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
This is covered in the wiki of this thread:

• U.S.:
      • T-72 test does NOT have to be from a Hawai'i "Trusted Partner", as this is moot.
  • Hawai'i:
    • Must apply for a 'vaccine exemption'
    • In line with CDC rules, U.S. and Internationally administered vaccinations are accepted
    • No test needed (although you'll have it anyway from the US entry)
  • e.g. NRT-SFO-KOA, ICN-SFO-HNL-OGG, FRA-LAX-KOA, YYZ-SFO-LIH
Old Nov 12, 2021, 5:27 am

I spoke with a woman at Hawaii safe travels last night. She said that for my 8yr old unvaccinated daughter an antigen test taken 1 day before would suffice. So assuming 1 day is 24 hours before departure time, what happens if my flight is delayed by a few hours and the her test is out of the 24hr period by an hour or so?
Old Nov 12, 2021, 5:56 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
This is covered in the wiki of this thread:

• U.S.:
  • Hawai'i:
    • Must apply for a 'vaccine exemption'
    • No test needed (although you'll have it anyway from the US entry)
  • e.g. NRT-SFO-KOA, ICN-SFO-HNL-OGG, FRA-LAX-KOA, YYZ-SFO-LIH
Bolded part, so I should be ok to upload vaccine certificate in 'other documents' in Hawaii Safe Travel? One (antigen) test from UK to US then onward to Hawaii should cover everything?
If so this is good news.
SavvyTravel likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2021, 8:30 am

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Originally Posted by PetrozzaFam
I spoke with a woman at Hawaii safe travels last night. She said that for my 8yr old unvaccinated daughter an antigen test taken 1 day before would suffice. So assuming 1 day is 24 hours before departure time, what happens if my flight is delayed by a few hours and the her test is out of the 24hr period by an hour or so?
Key word is scheduled departure time. If there is a delay, original scheduled departure time is the goal post.
Old Nov 12, 2021, 9:41 am

Originally Posted by mmxbreaks
Bolded part, so I should be ok to upload vaccine certificate in 'other documents' in Hawaii Safe Travel? One (antigen) test from UK to US then onward to Hawaii should cover everything?
If so this is good news.
Correct. Antigen test to enter the US from UK, then in the HI Safe Travels portal upload your NHS vax document (or DCC if they issued you one) under "Other Docs". Hopefully in a day or two you'll be able to upload it into "COVID Vaccination Exception"; that section is still only accepting US CDC cards. It will likely not automatically clear you, but at the departure gate to your HI bound flight they will review and grant it - or, on arrival. Don't worry about it.

PS: I've been contacting Hawaiʻi News Now and they're reaching out to the Governors Office today as to why the COVID Vax Exception section still only accepts US vax cards, and displays the wrong information under the old rules. I hope it'll be changed in a few days.. it's ridiculous.

Safe travels (no pun intended) from the UK; I do that trip in reverse (from KOA to UK/EU) a lot.. it's a long one.

UPDATE: I heard back from the Safe Travels team 11/12 that the website will not be updated until 11/17. Shocking that something that takes 30 seconds to update takes Hawai'i 2 weeks.
LETTERBOY and etiene like this.

Last edited by MDTyKe; Nov 12, 2021 at 6:31 pm
Old Nov 13, 2021, 11:31 am

Programs: BA GfL (GGL/CCR), Hilton Diamond
Just got my blue pre-clear wrist band for my flight to Hawaii later today at LAX T4 AA Admiral's Club lounge. When I first turned up, I presented my UK AZ vaccination certificate at the Hawaii pre-clear kiosk (in the lounge) and didn't get the answer I was expecting. They recognised that the Hawaiian gov rules had come into line with mainland US rules (that AZ vaccinations were accepted), but the AA guidelines hadn't been updated, so they couldn't pre-clear me. I walked into the lounge feeling a little disgruntled. A few mins later my name was called and I was advised that AA had just updated their guidance in line with Hawaiian gov rules and I could have my wrist band.

This travelling thing gets complicated in a covid world!
Pack likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2021, 10:52 pm

Programs: UA1K2MM ACMME50 SQPPS HHDiamond Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by mmxbreaks
If so this is good news.
If yu upload it under "Other Documents" you will not get pre-clearance. You will have to be screened on arrival in Honolulu. I landed today, the screen line was long.

On 9th Nov I uploaded my Canadian Vax cert by Clicking to "Upload CDC Covid19 Vaccination Card". On the 9th Nov under "Upload CDC Covid19 Vaccination Card" there was now an option for " Outside of USA"
I Click to Vaccine Exemption.
There is no separate icon for Non US Vax certificates.
Just click on the "Upload CDC Covid19 Vaccination Card".
Scroll all the way down to the last State. The next option : "Outside of USA" Click on that option & follow the steps. & sign & submit..
I uploaded my Canadian Vax cert
Pfi, Few minutes later ,I checked by clicking on " Vaccine Exemption", below "Upload CDC Covid19 Vaccination Card"
there was the Following info:
Uploaded Vaccine Documents with following info below that heading: in Green

Name Traveler Trip Name
Piizer-Pdf YYZPRINCESS Newark,NJ,USA (EWR)- Honolulu,HI,USA (HNL) - Month-Day-Year.

24 hours before my trip,I completed the Health Questionaire. Within minutes QR code was generated & emailed to me. I printed & present to United on the day of my departure. Was pre-cleared & received my wristband. On arrival in Honolulu there wae a separate line for pre-clearance.. Showed my wristband & was sent on my way. From the time I deplaned & to the baggage area 5 mins.

When I checked in EWR for my flight to HNL,
Old Nov 14, 2021, 8:59 am

Originally Posted by billinghamn
Just got my blue pre-clear wrist band for my flight to Hawaii later today at LAX T4 AA Admiral's Club lounge. When I first turned up, I presented my UK AZ vaccination certificate at the Hawaii pre-clear kiosk (in the lounge) and didn't get the answer I was expecting. They recognised that the Hawaiian gov rules had come into line with mainland US rules (that AZ vaccinations were accepted), but the AA guidelines hadn't been updated, so they couldn't pre-clear me. I walked into the lounge feeling a little disgruntled. A few mins later my name was called and I was advised that AA had just updated their guidance in line with Hawaiian gov rules and I could have my wrist band.

This travelling thing gets complicated in a covid world!
I arrived into HNL yesterday @ 19:00 at Gate C4 and there was no line whatsoever in the main terminal building (once I had walked the 5 mins down that way). To be honest there wasn't anyone showing any interest in inspecting any documentation at all, whether wearing a wristband or not. I was surprised based on what had been suggested before.

Just glad I got in without any incident.
Old Nov 14, 2021, 11:02 am

Programs: FB Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite
So like yyzprincess described, I upload my EU Covid pass under "Outside of USA". Was given information that I will undergo the check upon arrival at HNL. But, for me, it does really look like I will be fine with PCR from Europe, which is sufficient to enter the US and then we are okay to miss the money rip off at LAX for doing another test. That sounds great.
LIH Prem likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2021, 11:31 am

Originally Posted by 747jetter
So like yyzprincess described, I upload my EU Covid pass under "Outside of USA". Was given information that I will undergo the check upon arrival at HNL. But, for me, it does really look like I will be fine with PCR from Europe, which is sufficient to enter the US and then we are okay to miss the money rip off at LAX for doing another test. That sounds great.
If you're fully vaccinated, there's no reason you'd ever need another test for HI. My point (still stands) that the only way to "pre-clear" is to lie, and put forward that it is a CDC card, and attest to such. Otherwise, the correct way until the site is updated, is to get cleared on arrival.

Edit: The site has been partially updated. The popup is edited to follow the new rules, although the button still says "Upload CDC Card" eyeroll.
747jetter likes this.

Last edited by MDTyKe; Nov 17, 2021 at 1:33 pm
Old Nov 14, 2021, 11:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by billinghamn
I arrived into HNL yesterday @ 19:00 at Gate C4 and there was no line whatsoever in the main terminal building (once I had walked the 5 mins down that way). To be honest there wasn't anyone showing any interest in inspecting any documentation at all, whether wearing a wristband or not. I was surprised based on what had been suggested before.
When I arrived at the C gates several days ago, there was a person around Gate C1 that directed people with wristbands out the doors leading outside to the left. They were doing screenings in a separate area to the right after C1 in the walkway before reaching the main terminal area.
Old Nov 15, 2021, 8:28 am

Originally Posted by econ
When I arrived at the C gates several days ago, there was a person around Gate C1 that directed people with wristbands out the doors leading outside to the left. They were doing screenings in a separate area to the right after C1 in the walkway before reaching the main terminal area.
I may simply have been lucky in that case - I just wandered through without any checks or direction.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.