Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

State of Hawaii "Safe Travels" Program for International Travelers (ends 25 Mar 2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 2, 2021, 6:08 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: MDTyKe
Effective 8 November 2021, Non-U.S. citizens traveling directly Hawaii from another country must show both vaccination records and a negative COVID test results (NAAT or antigen) within three days of boarding a flight to the U.S. This applies to ALL over the age of 2. Ages 2-17 are exempt from the requirement to be vaccinated but negative COVID testing result still applies with the child having to follow the 'vaccinated (72 hours)' or 'unvaccinated (24 hours)' stream according to their actual vaccination status.

U.S. citizens flying directly to Hawaii from an international destination have two options:
  • Provide proof of vaccination OR
  • Provide proof of negative COVID-19 test result within one day of boarding flight to U.S.
Airlines will screen passengers prior to their departure to the U.S. If foreign passengers fail to meet BOTH requirements and if U.S. citizens fail to meet ONE of the two requirements, they will not be allowed to board the flight. Once in Hawaii, the CDC will conduct compliance checks.

Note: Tests do NOT have to be done with Trusted Travel Partners under the new international federal requirements, but they MUST be done with a Trusted Travel Partner for unvaccinated domestic travel.

International passengers entering the U.S. from another state or territory will be treated as domestic travelers when entering Hawaii.

https://www.khon2.com/coronavirus/gov-david-ige-to-provide-update-on-international-travel-to-hawaii/

FULLY VACCINATED PASSENGERS

VAX - INT'L FLIGHTS NON-STOP/DIRECT TO HAWAI'I
  • Entry Requirements for the United States must be followed.
  • No further checks are completed by the State of Hawai'i, and therefore the Safe Travels/QR etc. is no longer necessary.
  • Vax card/cert AND T-72 test
    • Per CDC rules, U.S. and Internationally administered vaccinations are accepted
    • T-72 test does NOT have to be from a Hawai'i "Trusted Partner", as this is moot.
  • Remember - non-stop international flights into HI only (e.g. NRT-HNL, YVR-KOA, or even ICN-HNL-OGG).
VAX - INT'L FLIGHTS W/ LAYOVERS EN-ROUTE TO HAWAI'I
  • U.S. AND HI procedures apply
  • U.S.:
    • Vax card/cert AND T-72 test
      • Per CDC rules, U.S. and Internationally administered vaccinations are accepted
      • T-72 test does NOT have to be from a Hawai'i "Trusted Partner", as this is moot.e.g. NRT-SFO-KOA, ICN-SFO-HNL-OGG, FRA-LAX-KOA, YYZ-SFO-LIH
VAX - DOMESTIC FLIGHTS TO HAWAI'I
  • Hawai'i Safe Travel Rules apply:
    • HI Safe Travels Portal application/QR is required
    • Must apply for a 'Vaccine Exception'
    • In line with CDC rules, U.S. and Internationally administered vaccinations are accepted
    • No test needed
    • e.g. SFO-KOA, EWR-HNL or those where you are taking a long trip to the US mainland first such as FRA-LAX-(3 days)-LAX-LIH

NOT FULLY VACCINATED/UNVACCINATED (age 2+)

UNVAX - INT'L FLIGHTS NON-STOP/DIRECT TO HAWAI'I
  • Entry Requirements for the United States must be followed.
  • Foreign nationals, non-US citizens, etc. ARE NOT ADMISSIBLE if unvaccinated UNLESS they meet one of the exceptions which include: Under age 18; Traveling from a recognized country where vaccines are in low supply; Other exceptions as described by CDC
  • Test T-24 from your departing flight to the US/HI, or proof of recent recovery. Test does NOT have to be from a Hawai'i "Trusted Partner"
  • No further checks are completed by the State of Hawai'i, and therefore the Safe Travels/QR etc. is no longer necessary.
UNVAX - INT'L FLIGHTS W/ LAYOVERS EN-ROUTE TO HAWAI'I
  • U.S. AND HI procedures apply
  • U.S.:
    • T-24 test from your international-> US departure, or proof of recent recovery.
  • Hawai'i:
    • Exemption to Q possible with a T-72 test required but MUST be from a Hawai'i "Trusted Partner"
    • Foreign nationals? N/A. Non U.S. citizens, nationals, LPR's etc barred from entry to U.S. on this scenario.
    • To kill two birds with one stone, consider a HI approved 'telehealth' test that you can take abroad before departing for the U.S. (Azova Lucira?)
    • Remember that although the U.S. accepts antigen tests, HI does not at this time.
    • Alternatively, plan a sufficiently long layover to get another HI-approved rapid test at a major US airport hub ($$$$), or a trip out to Walgreens for their HI-approved IDNow rapid test.
UNVAX - DOMESTIC FLIGHTS TO HAWAI'I
  • Exemption to Q possible with a T-72 test required but MUST be from a Hawai'i "Trusted Partner"
Print Wikipost

State of Hawaii "Safe Travels" Program for International Travelers (ends 25 Mar 2022)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2021, 12:39 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums
Original Poster

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz

The White House announced that vaccines will be required for international travelers coming into the United States, with an effective date of November 8, 2021. For purposes of entry into the United States, vaccines accepted will include FDA approved or authorized and WHO Emergency Use Listing vaccines.
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...l-notices.html

It remains to be seen what changes will be made to the Safe Travels program based on today's announcement, but travel into Hawaii may become easier for travelers entering from outside of the US.
Old Oct 15, 2021, 3:01 pm

Programs: UA MP HH LTD
Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...l-notices.html

It remains to be seen what changes will be made to the Safe Travels program based on today's announcement, but travel into Hawaii may become easier for travelers entering from outside of the US.
Just flew home from Maui yesterday. DW and I were talking about this at the airport, as we saw some Air Canada signage. Westjet and Air Canada probably are looking to fire up, as well as any Asian airlines. Maybe some Aussie travel as well.

Guess Hawaii Safe Travels will be making some adjustments to the website to handle all this.
Old Oct 18, 2021, 3:27 am

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, AF Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
With last Friday's announcement re. allowing vaccinated Europeans as of Nov. 8 we're planning to head to Hawaii sometime soon.
Obviously things can still change with regards to the safe travels program but just wanted to check with the rules as they stand today we could get tested at one of the trusted partners labs on the mainland (in addition to the pre-departure test needed to get into the US) before continuing to Hawaii and be exempt from quarantine (vaxxed in Europe) right?
Old Oct 19, 2021, 1:14 am

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by CH_flyer
We could get tested at one of the trusted partners labs on the mainland (in addition to the pre-departure test needed to get into the US) before continuing to Hawaii and be exempt from quarantine (vaxxed in Europe) right?
That's right.
Old Oct 19, 2021, 1:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
With last Friday's announcement re. allowing vaccinated Europeans as of Nov. 8 we're planning to head to Hawaii sometime soon. Obviously things can still change with regards to the safe travels program but just wanted to check with the rules as they stand today we could get tested at one of the trusted partners labs on the mainland (in addition to the pre-departure test needed to get into the US) before continuing to Hawaii and be exempt from quarantine (vaxxed in Europe) right?
Yes, correct! There are a lot of ways to make the journey, and some friends from Germany are planning a similar trip in November. One testing provider that could be helpful to you (though it's expensive) is XpresCheck, as they offer in-airport testing with one-hour results at a number of airports across the US. Depending on your itinerary, this might make it possible for you to get tested during your connection and then proceed to Hawaii without an overnight layover
Old Oct 20, 2021, 3:14 pm

Thank you for the reassurance.
Hello CH_flyer,

The governor also tweeted yesterday saying that there would be a plan in place to accommodate international arrivals as well:

We’re continuing to seek information from the federal government about plans for international travel and will have an appropriate plan in place prior to Nov. 8.
I didn't see further details beyond the tweet though.

Old Oct 20, 2021, 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by Majuki
Hello CH_flyer,

The governor also tweeted yesterday saying that there would be a plan in place to accommodate international arrivals as well:

I didn't see further details beyond the tweet though.

https://twitter.com/GovHawaii/status...25206486142981
Hawaii has welcomed back fully vaccinated domestic travelers for several months...since July. I was just on Maui for 12 days this month, and I am fully vaccinated. That tweet doesn't make sense. But not surprising, after I saw an interview when we there about resuming cruising, which made it sound like Hawaii was totally inventing cruising and Covid protocols, although the CDC and the cruise lines have been on this for a long time.
Old Oct 20, 2021, 11:36 pm

Originally Posted by BlueZebra
Hawaii has welcomed back fully vaccinated domestic travelers for several months...since July. I was just on Maui for 12 days this month, and I am fully vaccinated. That tweet doesn't make sense.
Due to rising cases and hospitalizations, the governor had previously requested that non-essential travel to Hawaii be postponed. However, there were no changes to the Safe Travels program. One could still enter as quarantine exempt with either a pre-travel test or being vaccinated. There was a subsequent announcement on Tuesday this week saying that the situation was improving and that the islands would be ready to welcome tourists back starting November 1st. As part of the tweets, he also indicated that there would be arrangements for international visitors as well.

Currently, Safe Travels only accepts individuals fully vaccinated in the US. A traveler who received vaccinations internationally would have to do a pre-travel test. The issue is that while there are international testing partners, with the exception of Canada, they're all in Asia: Japan, Korea, The Philippines, Tahiti, and Taiwan. This means that someone traveling from Europe who wasn't vaccinated in the US, such as CH_flyer's case, would need to get tested at one of the approved testing partners to be exempt from quarantine upon arrival in Hawaii.
Old Oct 21, 2021, 5:34 am

Originally Posted by Majuki
Due to rising cases and hospitalizations, the governor had previously requested that non-essential travel to Hawaii be postponed. However, there were no changes to the Safe Travels program. One could still enter as quarantine exempt with either a pre-travel test or being vaccinated. There was a subsequent announcement on Tuesday this week saying that the situation was improving and that the islands would be ready to welcome tourists back starting November 1st. As part of the tweets, he also indicated that there would be arrangements for international visitors as well.

Currently, Safe Travels only accepts individuals fully vaccinated in the US. A traveler who received vaccinations internationally would have to do a pre-travel test. The issue is that while there are international testing partners, with the exception of Canada, they're all in Asia: Japan, Korea, The Philippines, Tahiti, and Taiwan. This means that someone traveling from Europe who wasn't vaccinated in the US, such as CH_flyer's case, would need to get tested at one of the approved testing partners to be exempt from quarantine upon arrival in Hawaii.
So, a little spin and semantics. I agree on the international visitors...we were just there, and as I mentioned above, were discussing the lack, for example, of Air Canada and Westjet flights at OGG. I imagine those will be returning shortly after Nov 8.
Old Oct 25, 2021, 10:53 pm

Programs: BA, Avis, Amex
State of Hawaii "Safe Travels" Program (Options for Inbound International Travelers)

Anyone here planning on going to Hawaii after US travel restrictions lifted? I have been checking the state guideless on official sources and this does not seem to be possible (*without quarantine) ? One source said they do not accept any vaccines not administered inside the US, now I am checking again and they say "The State of Hawai‘i will also accept vaccine records that are digitally validated by Digital Health Pass Partners." whatever it means.

It looks like the lifting of the proclamation does not apply to the state of Hawaii or do I get it wrong?

EDIT: Covid test exemption also seems not possible since UK not in the list:

https://hawaiicovid19.com/travel-partners/

A bit more info from official sources (https://hawaiicovid19.com/travel/faqs/):

"Any traveler who is fully vaccinated against COVID-19 in the United States or U.S. Territories will be eligible for the quarantine exception. This means two shots of Pfizer or Moderna vaccine or one dose of Johnson and Johnson plus 15 days after the last dose."

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Oct 26, 2021 at 5:48 am Reason: consecutive posts merged
Old Oct 25, 2021, 11:17 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by OGG flyer
Anyone here planning on going to Hawaii after US travel restrictions lifted? I have been checking the state guideless on official sources and this does not seem to be possible (*without quarantine) ? One source said they do not accept any vaccines not administered inside the US, now I am checking again and they say "The State of Hawai‘i will also accept vaccine records that are digitally validated by Digital Health Pass Partners." whatever it means.

It looks like the lifting of the proclamation does not apply to the state of Hawaii or do I get it wrong?

EDIT: Covid test exemption also seems not possible since UK not in the list:

https://hawaiicovid19.com/travel-partners/
I’m not sure I understand the problem. Anyone can avoid quarantine in Hawaii by taking a PCR test within 72 hours at a Trusted Partner. Assuming you are fully vaccinated, you can enter the US after Nov 8 with an antigen test. You can then take a rapid PCR or NAAT at a Trusted Partner pretty much anywhere in the US to enter Hawaii, and often right at a connecting airport. For example, fly via LAX and test at Clarity right at the airport with results in anywhere from one hour for a rapid NAAT to a 3-5 hour turnaround for PCR at T6. Many airports have testing facilities with rapid tests that are accepted by Hawaii for exemption from quarantine.
Pack likes this.
Old Oct 25, 2021, 11:21 pm

Originally Posted by Finkface
I’m not sure I understand the problem. Anyone can avoid quarantine in Hawaii by taking a PCR test within 72 hours at a Trusted Partner. Assuming you are fully vaccinated, you can enter the US after Nov 8 with an antigen test. You can then take a rapid PCR or NAAT at a Trusted Partner pretty much anywhere in the US to enter Hawaii, and often a rapid test right at a connecting airport. For example, fly via LAX and test at Clarity right at the airport with results in anywhere from one hour for a rapid NAAT to a 3-5 hour turnaround at T6. Many airports have testing facilities with rapid tests that are accepted by Hawaii for exemption from quarantine.
Thanks, haven't flown to US since Jan 2020, not sure of the protocols. But the vaccine point stands, I'd rather use the vaccine exemption that have a potential overnight stay (if the test turnaround at T6 is up to 5 hours + any extra time needed)

So if UK vaccines are not accepted, and neither are UK Covid tests, this is far from ideal.
Old Oct 25, 2021, 11:25 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Thanks, haven't flown to US since Jan 2020, not sure of the protocols. But the vaccine point stands, I'd rather use the vaccine exemption that have a potential overnight stay (if the test turnaround at T6 is up to 5 hours + any extra time needed)
The 3-5 hour turnaround was just one example. The same lab, Clarity at LAX, offers a one hour turnaround as well, as do many airport testing sites with Trusted Partners that give results in 15 minutes to one hour.

Until Hawaii allows non-US administered vaccine exemptions, testing remains an easy option to avoid quarantine in Hawaii.
2BGO likes this.
Old Oct 25, 2021, 11:31 pm

Originally Posted by Finkface
The 3-5 hour turnaround was just one example. The same lab, Clarity at LAX, offers a one hour turnaround as well, as do many airport testing sites with Trusted Partners that give results in 15 minutes to one hour.

Until Hawaii allows non-US administered vaccine exemptions, testing remains an easy option to avoid quarantine in Hawaii.
I see, thank you both for your replies, very helpful, I am less worried now about being able to actually "get in" now.
Old Oct 25, 2021, 11:39 pm

I see, thank you both for your replies, very helpful, I am less worried now about being able to actually "get in" now.
You’re welcome. Your situation is really no different than that of Canadians, other than the fact that we have always been allowed to enter the US by air with an antigen test. Until Hawaii finally allowed a few Canadian trusted testing partners not that long ago, we still had to transit in the US as you need to, and had to test at a Trusted Partner en route in the US, as you will need to. It isn’t that difficult and I did it several times myself before the spring of this year when I was vaccinated in the US.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.