Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

State of Hawaii "Safe Travels" Program for International Travelers (ends 25 Mar 2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 2, 2021, 6:08 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: MDTyKe
Effective 8 November 2021, Non-U.S. citizens traveling directly Hawaii from another country must show both vaccination records and a negative COVID test results (NAAT or antigen) within three days of boarding a flight to the U.S. This applies to ALL over the age of 2. Ages 2-17 are exempt from the requirement to be vaccinated but negative COVID testing result still applies with the child having to follow the 'vaccinated (72 hours)' or 'unvaccinated (24 hours)' stream according to their actual vaccination status.

U.S. citizens flying directly to Hawaii from an international destination have two options:
  • Provide proof of vaccination OR
  • Provide proof of negative COVID-19 test result within one day of boarding flight to U.S.
Airlines will screen passengers prior to their departure to the U.S. If foreign passengers fail to meet BOTH requirements and if U.S. citizens fail to meet ONE of the two requirements, they will not be allowed to board the flight. Once in Hawaii, the CDC will conduct compliance checks.

Note: Tests do NOT have to be done with Trusted Travel Partners under the new international federal requirements, but they MUST be done with a Trusted Travel Partner for unvaccinated domestic travel.

International passengers entering the U.S. from another state or territory will be treated as domestic travelers when entering Hawaii.

https://www.khon2.com/coronavirus/gov-david-ige-to-provide-update-on-international-travel-to-hawaii/

FULLY VACCINATED PASSENGERS

VAX - INT'L FLIGHTS NON-STOP/DIRECT TO HAWAI'I
  • Entry Requirements for the United States must be followed.
  • No further checks are completed by the State of Hawai'i, and therefore the Safe Travels/QR etc. is no longer necessary.
  • Vax card/cert AND T-72 test
    • Per CDC rules, U.S. and Internationally administered vaccinations are accepted
    • T-72 test does NOT have to be from a Hawai'i "Trusted Partner", as this is moot.
  • Remember - non-stop international flights into HI only (e.g. NRT-HNL, YVR-KOA, or even ICN-HNL-OGG).
VAX - INT'L FLIGHTS W/ LAYOVERS EN-ROUTE TO HAWAI'I
  • U.S. AND HI procedures apply
  • U.S.:
    • Vax card/cert AND T-72 test
      • Per CDC rules, U.S. and Internationally administered vaccinations are accepted
      • T-72 test does NOT have to be from a Hawai'i "Trusted Partner", as this is moot.e.g. NRT-SFO-KOA, ICN-SFO-HNL-OGG, FRA-LAX-KOA, YYZ-SFO-LIH
VAX - DOMESTIC FLIGHTS TO HAWAI'I
  • Hawai'i Safe Travel Rules apply:
    • HI Safe Travels Portal application/QR is required
    • Must apply for a 'Vaccine Exception'
    • In line with CDC rules, U.S. and Internationally administered vaccinations are accepted
    • No test needed
    • e.g. SFO-KOA, EWR-HNL or those where you are taking a long trip to the US mainland first such as FRA-LAX-(3 days)-LAX-LIH

NOT FULLY VACCINATED/UNVACCINATED (age 2+)

UNVAX - INT'L FLIGHTS NON-STOP/DIRECT TO HAWAI'I
  • Entry Requirements for the United States must be followed.
  • Foreign nationals, non-US citizens, etc. ARE NOT ADMISSIBLE if unvaccinated UNLESS they meet one of the exceptions which include: Under age 18; Traveling from a recognized country where vaccines are in low supply; Other exceptions as described by CDC
  • Test T-24 from your departing flight to the US/HI, or proof of recent recovery. Test does NOT have to be from a Hawai'i "Trusted Partner"
  • No further checks are completed by the State of Hawai'i, and therefore the Safe Travels/QR etc. is no longer necessary.
UNVAX - INT'L FLIGHTS W/ LAYOVERS EN-ROUTE TO HAWAI'I
  • U.S. AND HI procedures apply
  • U.S.:
    • T-24 test from your international-> US departure, or proof of recent recovery.
  • Hawai'i:
    • Exemption to Q possible with a T-72 test required but MUST be from a Hawai'i "Trusted Partner"
    • Foreign nationals? N/A. Non U.S. citizens, nationals, LPR's etc barred from entry to U.S. on this scenario.
    • To kill two birds with one stone, consider a HI approved 'telehealth' test that you can take abroad before departing for the U.S. (Azova Lucira?)
    • Remember that although the U.S. accepts antigen tests, HI does not at this time.
    • Alternatively, plan a sufficiently long layover to get another HI-approved rapid test at a major US airport hub ($$$$), or a trip out to Walgreens for their HI-approved IDNow rapid test.
UNVAX - DOMESTIC FLIGHTS TO HAWAI'I
  • Exemption to Q possible with a T-72 test required but MUST be from a Hawai'i "Trusted Partner"
Print Wikipost

State of Hawaii "Safe Travels" Program for International Travelers (ends 25 Mar 2022)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2021, 12:48 pm

Programs: LH SEN, BA Gold, IHG Platinum, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by billinghamn
Just got my blue pre-clear wrist band for my flight to Hawaii later today at LAX T4 AA Admiral's Club lounge. When I first turned up, I presented my UK AZ vaccination certificate at the Hawaii pre-clear kiosk (in the lounge) and didn't get the answer I was expecting. They recognised that the Hawaiian gov rules had come into line with mainland US rules (that AZ vaccinations were accepted), but the AA guidelines hadn't been updated, so they couldn't pre-clear me. I walked into the lounge feeling a little disgruntled. A few mins later my name was called and I was advised that AA had just updated their guidance in line with Hawaiian gov rules and I could have my wrist band.

This travelling thing gets complicated in a covid world!
We also tried to get the wristbands at the AA admirals club at LAX T4 on Nov. 13 but staff was completely clueless about the changes (they called a supervisor who was also clueless and in general couldn‘t be bothered) so we just had our breakfast in the lounge and then walked over to Gate 41 where they do the regular HI pre-clearance spoke to the staff member there who was perfectly aware of the recent changes and screened us/gave us our wristbands.
Old Nov 18, 2021, 12:50 pm

Programs: LH SEN, BA Gold, IHG Platinum, HHonors Silver
Had a quick look at the website today and the vaccine exemption part appears to now have been properly updated and shows proper wording (not only US administered vaccines)
Old Nov 19, 2021, 10:13 am

Programs: Starbucks Gold, Amazon Prime
Originally Posted by CH_flyer
Had a quick look at the website today and the vaccine exemption part appears to now have been properly updated and shows proper wording (not only US administered vaccines)
Yep - finally updated; and the button no longer says CDC card either. I've updated the Wiki to remove the "if it says.." message.
Old Dec 2, 2021, 6:54 am

Programs: Marriott LTT+Amb., BA GGL, Flying Blue LTP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
(Edited) We made it from France to Honolulu with a 4 days stop inTexas. We filled our Hawaii safe travel on our phone before heading to the airport, to get the "Hawaii safe travel QR code" (https://travel.hawaii.gov/#/ ) Our "safe travel" was red as an official had to check our vaccine certificate (Normal procedure).

We went to Gate D29 airside at DFW to show our certificate and to get the wristband. We couldn't get the wristband because we are vaccinated with a non US approved Vaccine (AstraZeneca). They told us they can clear only US approved vaccine. They check anyway our European certificate, and also told us our certificate was not enough as it wasn't showing the "serial number" or (lot number) of the vaccine. This info was wrong, but made us worry during the flight from DFW to HNL.

When we arrived in HNL, we've been directed to the non-wristband line, but there was no wait. And there, the lady just checked our safe travel QR code and an ID. That gave her access to our downloaded vaccination European certificate, and we were immediately approved ; No need of any serial number at all! The whole operation took less than 30 seconds! Our safe travel became green when we refreshed the web page.
SavvyTravel likes this.

Last edited by Ericdeparis; Dec 2, 2021 at 6:35 pm
Old Dec 4, 2021, 12:47 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Air Canada 50K, United Silver, Accor Platinum, Others on Rotation
Originally Posted by emcampbe
yes - 5 and older need a [pcr] test (make sure it’s from an approved vendor for HI). We arrived to OGG yesterday - we got out 6 yo and 3 yo both tested, the younger was just so we could be sure, but isn’t required.
I don't think this is accurate. Can others weigh in?

We will be traveling International (Canada) --> to Hawai'i [direct] and will pre-clear customs in Canada.

My understanding is that, now, all party members need a rapid antigen test 24 hours prior to departure. This includes the fully vaccinated adult and the child (age 2-12) who has one shot only and is, therefore "unvaccinated".
Old Dec 4, 2021, 10:54 am

Programs: Avios
This is very helpful, thanks for posting. We are going to Honolulu from Uk but with a 4 days stopover in LA. I was very worried we might be denied boarding because we have been vaccinated in UK and are not planning on taking a second test before continuing to Hawaii (we will obviously test the day of our UK to US flight)
SavvyTravel likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2021, 6:57 pm

Just a heads up for those UK passengers who have been triple vaccinated . The NHS COVID pass pdf then shows three entries over two pages. You can upload this PDF to the safe travels website but if you try to view the uploaded pdf on an iphone or iPad it only shows page 1. If you view the uploaded pdf on a pc/Mac then it displays all two pages. The pre clearance staff at American use IPhones and therefore can only see the first page. They then refuse to pre clear you.
SavvyTravel likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2021, 4:37 am

Programs: Avios
Would you suggest downloading the pdf and certificate with two doses before getting the booster? This may make it easier to preclear
Old Dec 5, 2021, 10:24 am

Ok update with what happened when we arrived in Maui.
We were first off the plane and there were Hawaii gov staff checking whether you had been precleared(wearing blue wristband) if not you were directed to an area where there were around 7 staff doing screening. We walked straight in to the first available screener. All screeners were using iPads so as I detailed earlier they can only see one page which if you have had three doses on the NHS means dose 3 and dose 2. I decided not to point out the issue as the staff are merely screening. The screener looked at the page and in this case only seemed interested in that two doses were shown which is what the Hawaii Gov screening requires. The screener then updated both our status to screened with a green check . The screener then placed one of photo ids over a Hawaii gov card showing the screener Id, date etc and placed a coloured tag indicating 2 passengers on this montage, we were then told to take a photo on our phone which you need to show to the Hawaii gov agents at the exit to show that you have been screened.
The screening process was very quick taking probable a minute or so for the whole process for the two of us.
In terms of advice as to whether to download the NHS pass with two doses prior to getting the third shot then yes that might help avoid the issue we encountered at American. Based on our experience I would not bother with the pre clearance (certainly not at American in Terminal4 as it was badly organised and stressful) we turned up two hours before our flight departure time and even though we were 2nd in the Maui queue we only just got to the American screening agent as our flight was being called for boarding)
Perhaps if we had got another American pre Clearer agent then we might not have been rejected as the agent we got seemed very stressed out. I guess the other factor is that the airlines are liable if they pre clear incorrectly whereas the screening agents in Hawaii are Hawaii gov employees working in a better organised and less stressful manner.
SavvyTravel likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2021, 9:48 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by scillyisles
Ok update with what happened when we arrived in Maui.
Thanks for the report. FWIW, I've heard about others having issues with AA getting the wristbands, and this is even with vaccines administered in the US. UA (at least at SFO) was using a laptop. AS was using iPads iirc. Maui is a bit of an odd case because they have staff checking for preclearance before you head down the escalator to the baggage claim. At KOA and HNL it seems to be one and done from my experience.
Old Dec 8, 2021, 12:49 am

@canadianconnection33.html

Originally Posted by CanadianConnection33
I don't think this is accurate. Can others weigh in?

We will be traveling International (Canada) --> to Hawai'i [direct] and will pre-clear customs in Canada.

My understanding is that, now, all party members need a rapid antigen test 24 hours prior to departure. This includes the fully vaccinated adult and the child (age 2-12) who has one shot only and is, therefore "unvaccinated".
I'm going to Canada and return to HI on 24Dec. From what I've found you just need proof of vaccination and a negative Covid test result within 3 days of boarding. Bonvoyagemedical is a partner of Air Canada. I plan on using them for my return test.

From Bonvoyage website.Direct International Travel to Hawaii
  1. NON-U.S. citizens traveling directly to Hawaii from an international destination must present BOTH a vaccination record AND a negative COVID-19 test result (PCR or antigen) within three days of boarding a flight to the United States.
  2. U.S. citizens flying directly to Hawaii from an international destination have two options:
  • Fully vaccinated travelers must provide proof of vaccination and present a test taken (PCR or antigen) within three (3) days of boarding flight to the U.S

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Dec 8, 2021 at 6:31 am Reason: answer directed towards a post from another member
Old Dec 13, 2021, 6:21 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
Anyone flown from either SLC or LAX T2 to Hawai'i and able to give me a quick summary of what the arrangements are? Flying DL next week, and the SLC connection for half the party is fairly short so would be good to be forewarned.
Old Dec 15, 2021, 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by CanadianConnection33
I added the language "age 2+" to the wiki under unvaccinated.

It seems the new US government definitions apply to everyone. Either you are unvaccinated or you are vaccinated. It does not matter if you are a 4-year-old and no vaccine is available to you. You would meet the "unvaccinated" definition (you are still eligible for entry but you have to meet the 24 hour testing requirement not the 72 hour).
The Hawaii safe travels site still says under 5 does not require testing (domestic). Where have you seen that it is 2+? I ask because I have registered for the portal and it's not showing my kids (ages 2 and 4) as "exempt"
Old Feb 4, 2022, 1:21 pm

Just a quick question regarding vaccination outside of the US as I have come across some conflicting information:

I have had 2 doses of Pfizer and 1 Moderna all in the UK administered by the NHS but am currently living in the US and will be travelling on a domestic flight to Honolulu this Monday, is this sufficient enough to avoid quarantine? I have both of the cards and my "vaccine passport'. Safe Travels allowed me to fill them in although I still need manual verification but the Delta website mentions vaccines being administered in the US? This is the only place I have seen this so just wanted to check. Many thanks.
Old Feb 4, 2022, 4:17 pm

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Honestly, this program in Hawaii is a great big mess. We're from Canada, we still followed what we could for the Safe Travels thing, registered, got our code etc. But once we landed in HNL from YYC/YVR; they just waved us through while everyone else seemed to have to go through a big giant bottle neck where they were checking for wristbands or QR codes. After that, no one ever asked ever again. Not the hotel nor restaurants, they just wanted the standard QR code that we received from our own province's health board which covered our vaccination records.

From what I saw in HNL on arrival, pretty sure you can easily go around some of these insane lines if you really wanted to. We were probably asked once or twice and just said Vancouver for our origin.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.