Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > GLBT Travelers
Reload this Page >

The Best Gay Movie You've Ever Seen is...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Best Gay Movie You've Ever Seen is...

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2008, 11:03 pm

Trick
Latter Days
Cowboys & Angels
The Broken Hearts Club
Slutty Summer

Also, the new one, Another Gay Sequel. I had the chance to watch it twice before it officially on airs across the US.
Old Aug 27, 2008, 11:53 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by mrkymark
Hmm anyone can recommend some good movies?
You mean, aside from the 89 other posts

Seriously, though, what sort of film are you looking for?
Old Aug 28, 2008, 2:08 am

Programs: BA EC Gold
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Head On, a 1998 Australian film starring the delicious Alex Dimitriades.
Old Aug 28, 2008, 6:13 am

Programs: Mileage Plus, Skymiles, EleVAte founding member, SPG
Originally Posted by ajax
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Head On, a 1998 Australian film starring the delicious Alex Dimitriades.
Dimitriades was hot, but wasn't the film a dark and depressing look at gay life? I saw it quite a while ago and that's about all I remember.
Old Aug 28, 2008, 7:35 am

Programs: United 1K, Hilton HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Adam and Steve is by far one of the most hysterical gay movies I've ever seen. OMG I was ROTFL during the first 5 minutes, then I cried a little, and then back to ROTFL!!
Old Aug 28, 2008, 8:06 am

Programs: AS MVPG & Board Room, Marriott Silver, Global Entry
Funny story, the Seattle International Film Festival showed Head On in 1999 or 2000. This year, they featured Fatih Akin, a Turkish-German as an emerging master, and in addition to showing his current film, The Edge of Heaven -- which I HIGHLY recommend, they opted to show his earlier film, Gegen die Wand or "Head-On" (do you see where this is going??)

As they rolled the opening of Head-On, it was apparent that what was being shown did NOT have a hyphen in the title, which, given the opening sequence, probably confused and angered some, but aroused others. One of the passholders ran to the venue manager to alert them of the error (did he wait until the climax of the opening sequence?). They apparently showed the entire unhyphenated version and apologized profusely. The Festival Programmers later announced that one of the TBA slots at the end of the festival would have "Head-On", Akin's version.

The explanation I heard was that apparently the two films have the same US distributor, and well, someone wasn't looking close enough.

gotta agree with wiredboy, it was a depressing, disturbing film, despite the fact that Dimatriades can arouse a straight man. And then I'll disagree with Derick...Adam and Steve...Horrid movie.
Old Aug 29, 2008, 4:40 am

Originally Posted by wiredboy10003
Dimitriades was hot, but wasn't the film a dark and depressing look at gay life? I saw it quite a while ago and that's about all I remember.
I kind-of agree. It wasn't so much a dark and depressing look at gay life, more at life in general.

It wasn't bright and cheery, but it was very frank and realistic. It was also very thought-provoking.

Is it one of the best gay-themed or gay-friendly movies ever? Probably not. But it was rather highly acclaimed (at least by some) and I quite liked it.
Old Aug 29, 2008, 3:11 pm

I kind-of agree. It wasn't so much a dark and depressing look at gay life, more at life in general.

It wasn't bright and cheery, but it was very frank and realistic. It was also very thought-provoking.

Is it one of the best gay-themed or gay-friendly movies ever? Probably not. But it was rather highly acclaimed (at least by some) and I quite liked it.
Alright - another one which I thought was quite sweet and very underrated is "Lilies", a Canadian film set in a prison (not what you think). It's very touching.
Old Aug 31, 2008, 2:06 pm

Location: LAX-- But I'd rather be on Brokeback Mountain. United 1K! Other
Programs: RCC,HHonors Diamond,HGVC Elite,SPG Plat,Hyatt Diamond,Nat'l Emerald Exec Elite, Disney Premier Pass
Originally Posted by aeneastwin
Check out the scenes between Messala (Stephen Boyd) and Ben Hur (Charlton Heston).

Gore Vidal gave a funny account of how as a screenwriter he and Stephen Boyd mischievously decided to enliven the movie by having Stephen's character play out an unrequited love affair toward Ben Hur (unbeknownst to Heston).

If you look at Charlton Heston's reactions to Stephen Boyd in the earlier part of the movie, Heston looks like a deer caught in the headlights.

PS This story reminds me of another where Truman Capote would always sign Gore Vidal's name when he would check into bathhouses/sex clubs that were likely to be raided by the police.
This account is from another film which should be mentioned (if it hasn't already): The Celluloid Closet. A documentary from the mid-nineties (based on a book of the same name) about the history of gays and lesbians in movies. Very entertaining, although now a bit dated (it's over ten years old).

I think it would be great if they made a sequel; not just to update but to cover what was left out.

For instance what I consider one of the greatest movies ever made has an obvious underlying gay theme: Lawrence of Arabia. Uh, anybody ever notice it's an all male cast?! Except for a few extras... there's not a woman in sight! Lawrence picked some mighty cute teenage boys to follow him around the desert (I guess they'd be "personal assistants" by today's definition), and btw a very cute romance develops between the two boys. Or how about when when Omar Sharif declares his love for Peter O'Toole? Helloooo!

Old Aug 31, 2008, 2:09 pm
KTW

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0111418/
Old Sep 5, 2008, 8:32 pm

Loved "Bugis Street".
Old Sep 5, 2008, 9:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
Head-On was indeed a great film. Was dark, but more based in reality than a lot of other films. I'm Greek-American, and could identify with quite a few scenes.
Old Sep 5, 2008, 9:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
Bent and Before Night Falls also great flicks.

Last edited by justforfun; Sep 5, 2008 at 9:11 pm
Old Sep 5, 2008, 9:29 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum, Air Canada Aeroplan, Delta Sky Miles
"The Children's Hour" - Audrey Hepburn & Shirley MacLaine (1961)
Old Sep 8, 2008, 3:30 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
Looks like there is a lot of agreement between the movies in this thread and - The Fifty Greatest Gay Movies!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.