Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > GLBT Travelers
Reload this Page >

The Best Gay Movie You've Ever Seen is...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Best Gay Movie You've Ever Seen is...

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2011, 5:20 pm
jg3

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Choice PLT, UA Gold.
I must say, my watch any time I can favs are "Shelter" or "Latter Days." However, I just watched "Children of God" last weekend and loved it. The ending, was disturbing and had me all out of sorts the rest of the day, but it was a great movie, highly recommended.
Old Jul 10, 2011, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by BOB W
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned "Mulligans"
Me too. Great movie. But anyting with Charlie David in is worth seeing
Old Jul 14, 2011, 3:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by justforfun
Maybe the translator took some liberties and made it funnier. Or maybe it's the only movie you've seen in years.
Well, I mentioned the film to a friend of mine recently at lunch, and he found it equally as funny, so I don't know. Then again, I thought White Chicks was funny, so...

Originally Posted by justforfun
Has anyone mentioned A Touch of Pink? Nice movie.
Yes, I saw that, and also enjoyed it.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 12:38 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I'm surprised to be giving the first vote for Soldier's Girl. I saw it last night and it was a very well done, powerful and thoroughly depressingly ended film. I suggest it to everyone:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soldier%27s_Girl
Old Aug 22, 2011, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
I'm surprised Serving in Silence hasn't been mentioned yet. I had the pleasure of meeting Grethe back in 2006 at an MCC conference.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Weekend gets rave reviews from the film festival set.

http://www.weekend-film.com/home/

Anyone see it?
Old Aug 22, 2011, 7:16 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP
I'll try to keep it to 10 - okay, 15, in random order:

1 "Making Love" - the very first gay film I ever saw; that kiss between Harry Hamlin and Michael Ontkean is still exciting and magical.

2 "No Regret" - excellent Korean gay film; a little out-of-the-box with a great, dramatic plot.

3 "Brokeback Mountain" - a classic.

4 "For a Lost Soldier" - so beautiful, so moving.

5 "Chuck & Buck" - that scene, in his room/on his bed with his BFF..some of us have been there before.

6 "Milk" - another classic.

7 "Times Have Been Better" - a French comedy set in the rural countryside; genuine and charming.

8 "The Country Teacher" - really good Czech film about a teacher who falls for his girlfriend's very straight son; emotional and honest.

9 "Bear Club" - Spanish film about a gay man who takes on a parental role of his nephew.

10 "The Hours" - the book left me mesmerized, the film is a rare compliment to the novel.

11 "C.R.A.Z.Y." - wonderful gay-themed film about a chaotic, eclectic family in Montreal.

12 "Armisted Maupin's Tales of City"/"More Tales of the City" - Laura Linney and Olympia Dukakis in the same series, love it!

13 "Angels in America" - yes, the stage production was way better, but the cast was impeccable in the TV adaptation, especially Justin Kirk and Mary Louise Parker.

14 "Guys and Balls" - a German film, if I remember correctly, about a soccer player who comes out to his family and then tries to assemble his own gay team; when he introduces his boyfriend to his father at the end...priceless.

15 "The Wedding Banquet" - never get tired of watching it; Ang Lee!!
Old Aug 22, 2011, 7:29 pm
jg3

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Choice PLT, UA Gold.
Originally Posted by gfunkdave

Anyone see it?
This, This movie I want to see. Really looking forward to being able to see it.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 10:31 am

Programs: UA Gold (Million Miler), FI Gold, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by seattletravelguy
6 "Milk" - another classic.
11 "C.R.A.Z.Y." - wonderful gay-themed film about a chaotic, eclectic family in Montreal.
I'll agree that Milk was great and I liked CRAZY a lot too, although I think that a lot of it will go unappreciated if you didn't grow up in Québec.

To add to the list, Beautiful Thing is a British classic.

Another from the UK is Victim (1961), starring Dirk Bogarde, notable for being the first English language film to use the word homosexual.

Also, I saw The Kids Are All Right last night at the cinema. I really enjoyed it but was particularly impressed with its nonchalant and normalised treatment of a lesbian relationship.

I'll contrast this all with Violet Tendencies, which I rented the week before mainly cos I liked The Facts of Life repeats as a kid and thought it would be cool to see Mindy Cohn in a leading role. Anyway, the whole thing was just an embarrassing blend of stereotypes, explicit language, hot [but aging] bodies, and bad acting (apart from Ms Cohn). I suppose there's a market for this sort of drivel, but at least I learned that if you're a 40-something fag hag then eventually you'll find love in the form of a fit 20-something stripper if you just keep going clubbing every night and avoid straight men altogether.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 12:42 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP
I agree, "The Kids Are All Right" was superb on all levels - script, acting, normalcy of gay lifestyle, and for Mark Ruffalo (damn, I love that man!).

I recently rented a Thai film called "Love of Siam" about two young friends - one gay, the other straight - who form a strong bond, only to be physically separated when one family moves to Bangkok from another part of the country. The two boys, now teenagers, then try to restore their friendship, all the while one is them is in love with the other. It's an unexpectedly delightful and sincere film with a character named Donut (!).

And, I just watched "Undertow" about a married man and his lifelong friend who sneak away to a remote part of a fishing village to be together. The married man has a baby on the way, and that complicates things. It's set in Peru, I believe. Definitely recommended.

Last edited by seattletravelguy; Aug 24, 2011 at 1:06 pm Reason: Title for Thai movie was incorrect
Old Aug 29, 2011, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Latin T room
Old Aug 29, 2011, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hannah Free

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Hannah Free yet. Sharon Gless was great in it.
Old Sep 27, 2011, 7:52 am

Originally Posted by gfunkdave

Anyone see it?
I'm also really looking forward to this film!

Though not a true movie, I'd also put a vote in for Angels in America. My boyfriend actually worked as a stagehand on the most recent Off-Broadway production so I got to see the two shows back to back, and it was quite incredible, but very mind numbing.

I'm actually a filmmaker myself!
www.loganleelamson.com

I finishing post production on a short gay film, so let's hope it will be on someone's favorite list soon!
Old Sep 27, 2011, 8:54 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
So recommend Angels in America. So powerful... I actually recommend seeing them back to back... so much more powerful that way.

Mind numbing you say? I would say more like "butt numbing".... that was a lot of sitting at one time!
Old Sep 27, 2011, 9:02 am

Originally Posted by wharvey
So recommend Angels in America. So powerful... I actually recommend seeing them back to back... so much more powerful that way.

Mind numbing you say? I would say more like "butt numbing".... that was a lot of sitting at one time!
That's true too. Not for those who get restless easily.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.