Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > GLBT Travelers
Reload this Page >

The Best Gay Movie You've Ever Seen is...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Best Gay Movie You've Ever Seen is...

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2014, 10:51 am

Programs: AAdvantage, UA Mileage Plus, IHG Rewards Club
Weekend, Brokeback Mountain, Shelter, and Plata Quemada.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 10:13 pm

Weekend is by far the best modern gay film I've seen. Modern in the sense that it portrays gay people's everyday life, and does not focus on coming out, sexual confusion or AIDS.

Otherwise, Brokeback Mountain, A Single Man and Gods and Monsters were also beautiful and moving films, and honorable mentions for The Kids Are All Right and Paris Is Burning.
Old Feb 10, 2014, 5:41 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Gold, MR Plat
Big Eden has always been my favourite!

(On an FT-note, there are some good shots of Horizon F-28s @ FCA in the movie)
Old Feb 10, 2014, 8:19 pm

Programs: WN A-List Preferred, AS, DL Kryptonium
I enjoyed watching Guys and Balls aka Männer wie wir. It's heartwarming when movies feature a successful group of characters, in this case a soccer team, from many different parts of the gay community.
Old Feb 17, 2014, 7:43 am

Programs: QC Life, QFF Gold, VA Gold, HH nothing,IHG Gold
When ever I see anything on the internet about gay movies, I then come back to this thread to see if it has been mentioned.

I just watched, not yet been mentioned, When I'm Sixty Four which was a television film about two older men from different backgrounds who first become friends and then lovers. The reaction of both children was interesting.

What I thought was just the preview ended up being most of the movie on youtube.

Another one I have seen with the same theme is The Colonel's Outing a short film from New Zealand. The movie addresses issues about homosexuality in older age, and happiness in later life.

Last edited by Bundy Bear; Feb 18, 2014 at 3:00 am
Old Feb 17, 2014, 9:08 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
While not a "movie", the web series "Where The Bears Are" is very well made and funny!

They have done two seasons and have a kickstarter campaign for a third season. My partner and I have supported them.

http://wherethebearsare.tv/
Old Apr 4, 2014, 11:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
There's finally an American gay film where one of the gay boys doesn't die (or get killed), or is abusing drugs. It's called Geography Club. However, it does take up the same generic theme. Two high schoolers on the football team. Each has a girlfriend. Each is coming to grips with their sexual leanings. One handles it better than the other. Enter the drama.

There is also a very good gay film from Poland called Płynące Wieżowce (eng: Floating Skyscrapers). Kind of the same theme. But substitute swimming for football. The main character is played by Mateusz Banasiuk who is a really likeable person in real life. And very cute. Except they cut his hair very short for the movie (he's a competitive swimmer). Fortunately, they let him keep the swimmer's build.
Old Apr 6, 2014, 9:04 pm

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
Brokeback
Beautiful Thing
Trick
Broken Hearts Club
Old Apr 6, 2014, 9:09 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Fanjet
There's finally an American gay film where one of the gay boys doesn't die (or get killed), or is abusing drugs. It's called Geography Club. However, it does take up the same generic theme. Two high schoolers on the football team. Each has a girlfriend. Each is coming to grips with their sexual leanings. One handles it better than the other. Enter the drama.
Gotta say I was sorely disappointed in that ending. I know it's supposed to be a twist or something, but YTF could he not just walk in? I was so mad when he turned around in the hallway!
Old Apr 6, 2014, 11:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by sky303
Gotta say I was sorely disappointed in that ending. I know it's supposed to be a twist or something, but YTF could he not just walk in? I was so mad when he turned around in the hallway!
Yes. But at least he didn't commit suicide or OD. Which tends to be the ending so often in gay movies from the States. On the other hand, the Polish boy makes the right decision.

And the German movie Freierfall (Free Fall) went with the disappointing ending route as well. However, they did it with a real twist, that really didn't make it as disapponting as Geography Club's ending.

Last edited by Fanjet; Apr 7, 2014 at 12:24 am
Old Apr 7, 2014, 12:02 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Fanjet
Yes. But at least he didn't commit suicide or OD. Which tends to be the ending so often in gay movies from the States. On the other hand, the Polish boy makes the right decision.
^^ It was refreshing to see someone come out of the movie better than when they went in.

I'll have to watch the Polish one tonight...so much for getting some sleep!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.