Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > GLBT Travelers
Reload this Page >

The Best Gay Movie You've Ever Seen is...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Best Gay Movie You've Ever Seen is...

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2008, 6:40 am

Programs: UA 1MM, DL former Gold, AA, SPG, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Bagdad Cafe is one of my all-time favorite movies but I don't see it as gay at all. Transamerica was amazing! Felicity Huffman was ROBBED at the Oscars!!!

Show Me Love is one of the best lesbian themed movies I have seen. Together, by the same director was very good and has a gay story line in it. Those are two of the best Swedish films from the last decade. (Unfortunately everything else by that director, Lukas Moodysson, is so bad that it is unwatchable!)
Old Jun 10, 2008, 6:46 am

Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber
Victim..

Highlights everything that is wrong when politicians get involved in legal acts of discrimination.

http://www.screenonline.org.uk/film/id/444107/
Old Jun 10, 2008, 6:49 am

Valley of the Dolls

As gay and fabulous as it gets ...

Memorable line from fashion designer husband: "I wasn't much of man, Neelie, but I'm all straightened out now." And seeing the movie with a gay audience is the best.

Other faves:

*La Cage aux Folles (French)
*Boys in the Band
*Where Love Has Gone (no gay theme but stars Bette Davis, Susan Hayward and Joey Heatherton)
*The Ritz

"Brokeback" is in a league all its own because it is a serious movie that cuts across cultural lines. "Brokeback" appears to be the best movie of the decade (in my opinion). Perhaps one of the best American movies since the 1970s. And it did not win the Academy Award for best movie!!
Old Jun 10, 2008, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bigguyinpasadena
--C'mon!
Watch it again...
Old Jun 10, 2008, 8:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by KenCT
1. Brokeback Mountain
12. Hedwig and the Angry Inch
13. Gia
16. Before Night Falls
18. Philadelphia
23. Fried Green Tomatoes
24. Latter Days
Seen these - I'd fogotten about "Before Night Falls" - that was my favorite out of all of them. Sad and touching, esp. the ending.
Old Jun 10, 2008, 10:55 am

Programs: UAL MM, BA G
Many of the above make it onto my list. But I didn't see Maurice, an early fave of mine.
Old Jun 11, 2008, 7:00 am

Programs: UA, CX, BR
I like many of the films mentioned so far. And if you want to venture a little further, I recommend:

from Japan: “Okoge” (おこげ Fag Hag), dir. Takehiro Nakajima, 1992—one of my favorites.

from Hong Kong: “Happy Together” (春光乍泄), dir. Wong Kar-wai, starring Leslie Cheung and Tony Leung Chiu Wai, 1997—really well done.

from China: “Lan Yu” (蓝宇) dir. Stanley Kwan (who is HK, but the film was based on a Beijing cyberstory and mostly done by mainlanders), 2001—not perfect, but a nice try.

from China: “Farewell My Concubine” (霸王别姬), dir. Chen Kaige, 1993—a major film but alas very stupid on the gay theme (but on the plus side a good performance by Leslie Cheung again).
Old Jun 11, 2008, 4:11 pm

Programs: UA
Come Undone (Presque Rien)
Wild Reeds (Les Roseaux Sauvages)
-- anything with Stephane Rideau in it

Burnt Money (Plata Quemada)
Yossi & Jagger
Brokeback Mountain
The Bubble
Shelter

Last edited by BobbyV; Jun 11, 2008 at 4:18 pm
Old Jun 12, 2008, 9:56 am

Programs: AS MVPG & Board Room, Marriott Silver, Global Entry
Soo many to choose from.

Torch Song Trilogy comes to mind as an early favorite. Its hard to pick out just a few. Brokeback Mountain

Walk on Water I didn't find gay so much, even though the subject is discussed, but oy vey! Lior Ashkenazi nude. (drool, pant, swoon).
Old Jun 12, 2008, 10:17 pm

Programs: UA, CX, BR
Not to start a controversy...but didn't anyone else find "Brokeback Mt." a bit l o n g, and yes a bit boring. All those postcard picture scenes, and every emotional nuance spelled out in stark detail (the twitch of the cheek, the bat of the eyelash, the shift of the gaze)? And if "Boys in the Band" is dated (as it certainly is), unrequited cowboy love??? (Now, the original short story was an incredibly powerful piece of writing because it managed to convey every jagged emotion in just a few words.) I'm not saying "Brokeback Mt." was especially bad, just not especially good.
Old Jun 13, 2008, 12:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hedwig.
Old Jun 17, 2008, 10:37 am

Programs: AS MVPG & Board Room, Marriott Silver, Global Entry
I quite enjoyed Saturn in Opposition, or Saturno contro in its original Italian.

..and yes Brokeback did drag at times.
Old Jun 17, 2008, 1:35 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, DL former Gold, AA, SPG, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
I agree that Brokeback Mountain is quite overrated. Some of the acting was a bit over the top as well. I saw it at one of the very first screenings and Jake Gyllenhaal was there to talk about it afterward. I found it very interesting to hear him pretty much come out during that talk.

In paraphrasing him, he said:

At first I was very intimidated working with Heath (Ledger) since he grew up on a ranch and was so comfortable with riding the horses, etc. Then when it came to shooting the sex scenes, I felt better, because here was my opportunity to bring Heath into something that I knew about.
Old Jun 17, 2008, 4:03 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM, and major hotels
Originally Posted by KenCT
Thanks for the tip. Loved Mysterious Skin Didn't think to check on what Araki had directed before that. BTW, I just finished Parting Glances.
I remember Gregg Araki's "The Doom Generation" as being a bit OTT - a little straight/gay/bi all in one, it's been a while since I saw it - but entertaining.

So many good choices in this thread. I also remember a Hong Kong movie called Bishonen from the late '90s... I can't remember the plot, but I do remember drooling at some abs . Actually, it was a decent gay love-triangle movie.
Old Jun 17, 2008, 7:59 pm

Well it's tv but.......Ultimate Fighting Challenge

The Transporter

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.