Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > GLBT Travelers
Reload this Page >

The Best Gay Movie You've Ever Seen is...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Best Gay Movie You've Ever Seen is...

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2008, 5:54 pm

Programs: AA Plat (2MM), AS MVPG, DL DM, HH Dia(life), Hyatt Dia, SPG Plat
Bent

and "Powertool" runs a close second...but I don't think you meant "that" type of movie
Old Aug 8, 2008, 6:20 am

Programs: Delta Plat, Continental, US Airways, American,
I recently saw Shelter which just came out on DVD last month I think. A great movie with cute actors that were actually GOOD actors!
Old Aug 8, 2008, 6:38 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
Originally Posted by frollo123
I recently saw Shelter which just came out on DVD last month I think. A great movie with cute actors that were actually GOOD actors!
That really was a great movie! And, I agree, the acting was good as well.
Old Aug 8, 2008, 9:57 am

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Originally Posted by Enigma
"The Sum Of Us" for me, hands down. Biased a bit due to being an Aussie though.

Harder to find than your "Brokeback Mountains" and such though.
If you have Logo on your TV network (I use Direct TV) it shows up there every few months. Good movie, but kind of predictable.
Old Aug 8, 2008, 12:27 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
Originally Posted by frollo123
Hee hee-what timing!I was clearing my desk and I foung the netflix envelope with Shelter in it=will watch it now.
Old Aug 8, 2008, 12:42 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
Get Real - because it is quite bitter sweet about the whole coming out thing.

And for a lovely portrayal of a gay couple (who are a bit camp but sweet none the less) - Confetti (they're the wedding planners and are the best couple in it)
Old Aug 8, 2008, 12:54 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Bonvoy
How about Big Eden?

Great soundtrack too
Old Aug 8, 2008, 1:17 pm

Ben Hur

Check out the scenes between Messala (Stephen Boyd) and Ben Hur (Charlton Heston).

Gore Vidal gave a funny account of how as a screenwriter he and Stephen Boyd mischievously decided to enliven the movie by having Stephen's character play out an unrequited love affair toward Ben Hur (unbeknownst to Heston).

If you look at Charlton Heston's reactions to Stephen Boyd in the earlier part of the movie, Heston looks like a deer caught in the headlights.

PS This story reminds me of another where Truman Capote would always sign Gore Vidal's name when he would check into bathhouses/sex clubs that were likely to be raided by the police.
Old Aug 9, 2008, 8:03 pm

Programs: DL Skymiles, AGR, Club Carlson
I can't believe no one has mentioned one of the best gay-themed movies: Mambo Italiano. It is such an incredibly accurate portrayal of growing up gay in an Italian-American household. I swear my family is an exact clone of the family in the movie.

Also, don't know if it could be classified as gay-themed, but To Wong Foo Thanks for Everything Julie Newmar is also one of my favorites
Old Aug 12, 2008, 10:51 am

Programs: AA EXP and CK, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Plat, Amex Plat, etc
Sordid Lives! The new series on Logo is great as well.
Old Aug 12, 2008, 11:07 am

Programs: UA Premier 1K
Out of Season.

pc
Old Aug 12, 2008, 9:29 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by gliere
Also, don't know if it could be classified as gay-themed, but To Wong Foo Thanks for Everything Julie Newmar is also one of my favorites
With the fact that met and traveled with Julie Newmar on one of my trips, have to add that to the list. ^

Other favorites include:

The Birdcage (I personally like Robin Williams and Nathan Lane)
Jeffery
Trick
I'm the One that I Want (Margaret Cho)
Before Night Falls
Old Aug 15, 2008, 8:25 am

Some other options

I don't think anyone mentioned Maurice - excellent movie and book(http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093512/)

I agree with some other posts - to me some of the best gay movies aren't the gay tragedies, coming-out sagas or love stories, but:

Bring It On
Moulin Rouge
Clueless
Mean Girls

and how can a good gay pass up "Troop Beverly Hills"? http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0098519/
Old Aug 26, 2008, 5:54 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Ooh, so many great films. So many awful ones, too

Anyone here go to Outfest (the Los Angeles Gay and Lesbian Film Festival, and for the past few years, the largest film festival of any kind in Los Angeles)? I've been going since the mid-80s, although we skipped this year because my partner ran out of vacation days

We're thinking of looking for gay film festivals in places that are fun to visit, such as Hawaii, Australia, etc., and making vacations out of them. Maybe a gaydo?

As for specific favorites, how about "Another Country"?
Bennett: There's a little hollow at the base of his throat which make me want to pour honey all over him, and lick it off again.
Menzies (furious): Bennett!

Some specific comments:

Originally Posted by bigguyinpasadena
Parting Glances is one of the top of my head.
Priscilla Queen Of the Desert.
The Original(french)La Cage Aux Folles.
The Naked Civil Servant.
All excellent choices! Did anyone catch the restored Parting Glances? I heard about it at Outfest last year.

Originally Posted by AlecM
And - just because it was the first movie with a gay theme I ever saw and it pushed me to come out to myself (down in CCS at that - I watched it 5 times and each time in a different theater to make sure I wouldn't be 'recognized' - usually half the audience walked out making gagging sounds halfway through) - "Making Love". And no, it's not that good but at the time - it was what there was - so it has a place in my heart - and so will Harry Hamlin.

Also - "The Wedding Banquet".
I remember being astonished at "Making Love" because it was so rare to see homosexuality positively in film back then. "Wedding" is good, too. I really enjoyed it.

Originally Posted by Foady
1st gay movie I saw... "Beautiful Thing". Great soundtrack, too!
That is a good movie, as is "Edge of Seventeen"

Originally Posted by Morland
"Priscilla, Queen of the Desert" for sheer camp fun
"Beautiful Thing" as the tenderest coming-out story.
yeah.

Originally Posted by dfwoods
I agree with several above. Also enjoyed My Beautiful Launderette. Perhaps because it came out around the same time I did. A former college roommate and I were coincidentally coming out at about the same time as well - had both been closeted as roommates. Both in grad school and we saw it while I was visiting him at MIT. Some 20+ years later and still good memories. Except for making me feel really old all of a sudden....
Agree on all points, including the last

Originally Posted by BOB W
Brokeback Mountains became totally & utterly depressing for me while watching it the second time.
I think it was depressing the first time! It vividly shows the destruction and harm from homophobia.

I think of "Brokeback" as being very much of a particular time and place, much like "Boys in the Band." (I happened to see "Boys" at a theatre in Philadelphia in 1985. When the cowboy said "I'm not a steal. I cost twenty dollars," the man next to me sighed and said, "Those were the days!")

Originally Posted by GoodKarmaGuy
....or maybe Sordid Lives. GREAT flick in so many ways.
Yeah, that it is so fun.

Originally Posted by Seeksreal
Bad Education by Almodovar.
Another good one.

Originally Posted by StSebastian
To add a few smaller ones I liked Araki's The Living End and Defying Gravity.
I liked "The Living End" as well, but found other of his films gratuitously violent. I suppose it depends on one's mood when watching.

Originally Posted by bigguyinpasadena
Hee hee-glad y'all like Sordid Lives so much-Leslie Jordan is an old friend
You're so lucky!

Originally Posted by Derek
Many of the above make it onto my list. But I didn't see Maurice, an early fave of mine.
That's a great film as well.
Lasker-Jones (the doctor, Ben Kingsley): England has always been disinclined to accept human nature.
Originally Posted by BobbyV
Come Undone (Presque Rien)
Wild Reeds (Les Roseaux Sauvages)
-- anything with Stephane Rideau in it

Burnt Money (Plata Quemada)
Yossi & Jagger
Brokeback Mountain
The Bubble
Shelter
"Burnt Money" ("Plata Quemada") was good, but I found both "Wild Reeds" and "Come Undone" very hard to follow.

Originally Posted by Derek
After finally renting it and somehow watching it after it was due to be returned (even though Hollywood Video gives you like a month to watch the thing) I can heartily, and unequivocally say that "Another Gay Movie" does not make it on the list of good movies! Certainly not the best. What a fundamental piece of krap!
I think it's OK for what it is -- a teen sexploitation film. That's all it tries to be. Perhaps "Eating Out" is funnier ("Come out, stay in, don't Heche me into a Marria"!")

Originally Posted by 98103
I agree that For a Lost Soldier is good, but in parts disturbing. Broken Hearts Club on the other hand is a heap of schmarm and predictable clap..
Very true.

Originally Posted by gliere
I always thought of it as gay!

One of the better films I've seen is "L.I.E." which extremely well-done. The acting, the writing, the directing. It's not the easiest subject matter, either.

Another excellent and off-beat film is "Chuck and Buck." I loved that the DVD included a Gaffer's commentary ("This scene was so hard to light!") Although I read on IMdb that Logo re-edited the movie to change the story and the characters.

There are a lot of shorts that are terrific. I really, really liked "Take Out," "Pool Days," and "Disco Years," for example. When I first saw "Take Out", I thought the opening credits were the entire film, and I thought it was one of the best I'd seen. Then the rest of the film started, and it's even better.

Last edited by anabolism; Aug 26, 2008 at 6:09 pm
Old Aug 27, 2008, 8:50 pm

Programs: BA Avios, UA MP, AA, Choice, Club Carlson
Hmm anyone can recommend some good movies?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.