Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Will AY Extend elite status or otherwise incentivize travel postponed by COVID-19?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will AY Extend elite status or otherwise incentivize travel postponed by COVID-19?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2020, 8:41 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), TK Elite (*G), BT VIP, HH D, BW DS
If a new tier is reached before March 31st, will that new tier also get extended, or would this only apply to the current tier as of March 13th?
Old Mar 13, 2020, 8:46 am

Programs: AY Gold
Originally Posted by ffay005
Then conctact AY and ask not to have the 6 month extension.
And this is likely what I will have to do as it is the lesser of two evils, however it is a risky option as no one will know when travel will continue to for example the US and the voucher issue still exists.

It acknowledge that this seems like a good thing for the most of you, and I am happy for you all, but it also feels bad to get the short straw in this case. As in, others get extension, some don’t because it would then be even worse.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 8:52 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
One obvious way to deal with the voucher issue would be to issue 50 % vouchers at the time of tier extension; 2 shorthaul for Golds and 1 longhaul + 2 shorthaul for Plats. All vouchers, old and new, valid until the new tier expiry date. Would create a lot of goodwill, too,
Old Mar 13, 2020, 9:01 am
Company Representative, Finnair

Programs: Finnair Plus
Originally Posted by SuloL
If a new tier is reached before March 31st, will that new tier also get extended, or would this only apply to the current tier as of March 13th?
We extend the tier tracking period, status at the day of administering is not really relevant. So in your example- you are now Gold, we extend tier tracking period on 31.3 by six months. Then week later you reach Plat. Platinum status will be then valid until end of your extended tier tracking period and of course for the next tier tracking period as well.
ffay005 and SuloL like this.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 9:04 am

Programs: AY Platinum Lumo, LX Senator, SK Life-time Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
I am always impressed of the ability of this forum to find the negative in everything that is done by Finnair. On my behalf, I am grateful to Finnair of this move that many of the competitors (e.g. SAS or Lufthansa group) have not yet done. I wonder what use anyone here has for the vouchers now, as all travel is likely to be suspended during the next weeks. I don't count on any more travel of any type before the summer and it may well be until the fall. The availability of vouchers is the smallest of concerns for me in this situation.

Thank you FinnairPlus!
Old Mar 13, 2020, 9:06 am

For all of you that don't want us to extend the tier tracking period, please hold off contacting us until the change is visible in your profile, OK? It will be a lot easier to work with this. Thank you for your understanding.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 9:07 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by FinnairPlus
this is my team's discussion from yesterday almost verbatim
And I who always thought you desperately needed me on the team! Now it seems you manage just fine without me
OH-LGG, Ed Size, FFlash and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 9:09 am

Programs: AY LUMO
Originally Posted by Antx
This, a million times. My current tracking period ends in end of Apr and I have absolutely nothing to gain on this tracking period as I just made plat and lumo is unattainable for me. Pushing current period 6 months means that I need to push everything I can to Nov, which is not feasible. If the extension would be added to my next tracking period, I would have more options, for example for my travel currently planned for Sep.

The way this is playing now, I feel the first time that I am unlikely to requalify on my next tracking period anymore.
I'm with you with this.

Mine is ending in July and my plan was to fly Lumo in April. Now wIth 6 months extension all my flights between May and Jan (9 months) are "useless" for AY status and next period is again 12 months anyway. So this 6 months extension would be great when moved to next period.

Looks like I need to keep my original period. And lets hope AY planes fly in April.
Antx likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 9:13 am

Originally Posted by intuition
And I who always thought you desperately needed me on the team! Now it seems you manage just fine without me
You may laugh, but before we launch anything we always ask ourselves "what would FlyerTalk say to this?". We are almost always right
Old Mar 13, 2020, 9:13 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
AY is trying to please us here, guys, while some are in a dysoptimal spot regarding aforementioned post examples. Just Thanks to Finnair for taking a leading example of loyalty.

Guys think about how they need to adapt their IT on this so let’s be nice on them this time

Big clapclap from me too, well done AY!
ffay005, Ed Size, Hartsa and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 9:15 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Originally Posted by intuition
Just stay on our side and continue the ”Quality control” work
intuition likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 9:20 am

Programs: AY LUMO
Originally Posted by mhle
I am always impressed of the ability of this forum to find the negative in everything that is done by Finnair.
What is negative now done by Finnair?
intuition likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 9:22 am

Programs: AY Gold
I am always impressed of the ability of this forum to find the negative in everything that is done by Finnair
If this was directed at me, I’d like to point out that I was not being negative against what AY did. In fact, it seems like a good thing for most of you and would have also been great for me under these unexpected times, if just my tracking period would have ended on a better time. As this is a place of discussion, I feel like we are allowed to tell also other sides of the story here.

I wonder what use anyone here has for the vouchers now, as all travel is likely to be suspended during the next weeks. I don't count on any more travel of any type before the summer and it may well be until the fall. The availability of vouchers is the smallest of concerns for me in this situation
My issue is not getting the new vouchers, but the ability to use the old ones. These would be extended if the tracking period was extended, however in my case if the tracking priod is extended I am not able to fly my already booked flights unless I just throw away the tier points.

But like I said, I’m not complaining here. I’m just sad that I lucked out and cannot use this opportunity.
mhle and intuition like this.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 9:27 am

Programs: AY
Hello guys, just to be sure, will the tracking period be extended for lowly Basic's too? Just bumped to the program but have big plans :P
FFlash likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 9:50 am

Originally Posted by founderm49
Hello guys, just to be sure, will the tracking period be extended for lowly Basic's too? Just bumped to the program but have big plans :P
No, this was targeted to tier members.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.