Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Will AY Extend elite status or otherwise incentivize travel postponed by COVID-19?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will AY Extend elite status or otherwise incentivize travel postponed by COVID-19?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2020, 5:04 am
Ambassador: Finnair

Programs: AY Lumo, BA Silver, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by intuition
But the logic is odd. Is it only people whose period ends in march that has gotten cancelled flights?
Indeed. That would be just insane panic reaction. It’s the same 12 months for all and axed flights have same statistical effect on us all. This would put their customers in very different situations in terms of qualifying..
OH-LGG, intuition and Steve_Hun like this.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 5:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
I sneaked in my Plat renewal with 152k or so at the end of Feb, so I'm good so far, but dread the possibility of going down to Gold a year from now - so far I had to put a couple of Asian trips on indefinite hold, so it's 80k in a blink.

With *G I'm safe until 2023 or so (thx, TK two years validity) so when things return to normal, I'll have to think hard what to do in terms of alliances, FFPs - this is a black swan situation and the airline that reacts the most clever way has a lot to win.

TK & SK are sending our reassuring e-mails, and AY informed that they released 500.000 new award space. Hmm, is it what people have most on mind?
Old Mar 11, 2020, 5:53 am

Programs: AY LUMO
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger

TK & SK are sending our reassuring e-mails, and AY informed that they released 500.000 new award space. Hmm, is it what people have most on mind?

I wait for AY*s mail: "book 5 flights and get 50.000 extra points"
Old Mar 11, 2020, 10:42 am

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
I think that there are avoidable behaviours that are less responsible and also less costly to avoid, than traveling. For a start, it is irresponsible to eat raw wild meat (a few years ago, that also brought Ebola). And now, for instance, visiting elderly or sick people and risk contaminating them. Or worse, put one's kids in their grandparents care - notably when schools are closed to contain the epidemic.

I wouldn't plan a trip in an epidemic area at this point, and anywhere else, I would make sure I can get free cancellation. I am wary of the rebooking waivers, as the fare difference could be high, or there may be no suitable time to rebook, so I probably won't book anything new in the next few months. But conversely, I will not cancel already planned trips unless I risk quarantine, or I get fully refunded. That's even if my employer strongly advises against it, unless it pays for it and re-credits my vacation allowance.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 10:50 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
Originally Posted by Courmisch
[...] I wouldn't plan a trip in an epidemic area at this point, [...]
Given COVID-19 has been declared a pandemic, there is basically nowhere to go now. Or what do you define as "epidemic area"?
Old Mar 11, 2020, 10:52 am

Yeah so for the sake of clarity, I meant areas defined as epidemic by the Finnish government. I generally avoid advised against areas, whether it's due to COVID-19 or anything.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 10:57 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
Yeah so for the sake of clarity, I meant areas defined as epidemic by the Finnish government. I generally avoid advised against areas, whether it's due to COVID-19 or anything.
Ah I see.

Interestingly, the Federal Department of Foreign Affairs (Switzerland) does not publish any specific travel advisories anymore because the virus is basically everywhere.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 3:16 pm

Programs: MPCGO, AYPt, SQG, HHDiamond
WillAY will have another sales shortly after the Corona?

Last edited by NeoZ; Mar 11, 2020 at 3:21 pm
Old Mar 11, 2020, 11:25 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, LH, Accor, IHG, Scandic, Tallink
Just for a comparison; Received an email from the IHG Rewards Club last night. They are reducing the elite membership criteria (both points and nights) this year by 25 %.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 2:27 am
Company Representative, Finnair

Programs: Finnair Plus
hi Flyer Talk! just chiming in to cut the speculation this is definitely under development right now. We are a loyalty program and we strongly believe loyalty goes both ways.
R2, mhle, intuition and 17 others like this.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 3:18 am

Programs: AFKL PLT, BA Gold, SK Gold, AY Gold, A3 Silver, LH FTL, IHG Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by FinnairPlus
We are a loyalty program and we strongly believe loyalty goes both ways.
This is of course very nice to hear, but one has to wonder why it's always only after major crisis like this, when the big corporations remember this? For the past few years, it really hasn't felt so much of a two way street.
intuition and kauppias like this.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 3:24 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Originally Posted by FinnairPlus
hi Flyer Talk! just chiming in to cut the speculation this is definitely under development right now. We are a loyalty program and we strongly believe loyalty goes both ways.
good news for sure.

hopefully we will know soon. many are on edge

each time I make new plans new restrictions are announced 😁
Old Mar 12, 2020, 3:34 am

Originally Posted by kauppias
Ah, so it's all your fault! stop making plans, please.
intuition, cistavoda and kauppias like this.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 3:48 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Ah, so it's all your fault! stop making plans, please.
😂😂😁 Indeed 👍
Old Mar 12, 2020, 3:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by kauppias
good news for sure.

hopefully we will know soon. many are on edge

I’ve heard Forssa is a nice place - any plans to visit?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.