Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Will AY Extend elite status or otherwise incentivize travel postponed by COVID-19?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will AY Extend elite status or otherwise incentivize travel postponed by COVID-19?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2021, 6:33 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by on22cz
Off-topic (no AY) on-topic (extension): BT has just delivered another extension including a new set of upgrade vouchers.
I'd like to see some new AY vouchers as well.
Piggy-backing on your post. QR just told me they extended my platinum with them 1 year. Looks like the purchasing status dilemma was solved.
ffay005 and TPJ like this.
Old Dec 22, 2021, 7:45 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Originally Posted by zxcv1
Airline points programmes are already completely rigged such that the airlines cannot lose money. The more activity they can generate around their points programmes the more they win. Let's not forget they also hold unilateral power to make changes to the T&C.

For as long as they keep e.g. the Platinum Wing closed and reduce other benefits due to cost-saving measures, diluting the value of Platinum status, the status should be extended. Otherwise the result is that they just 'enhanced' the experience, i.e. diluted the value. I do not see any info about the Platinum Wing opening, so therefore I expect at least another 6-month extension.
Understand but think this is wrong way, namely giving out all plat cards anf creating too big plat hoard under cost pressure and then rip all those bennies off to save costs.
It should be other way, get the same savings by keeping high quality on bennies for fewer plats who in fact fly and stat loyal.
ffay005 and on22cz like this.
Old Dec 22, 2021, 7:57 am

Programs: AY+ Lumo, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by FFlash
Understand but think this is wrong way, namely giving out all plat cards anf creating too big plat hoard under cost pressure and then rip all those bennies off to save costs.
It should be other way, get the same savings by keeping high quality on bennies for fewer plats who in fact fly and stat loyal.
Exactly, it would be better for those who achieve status through flying and long-term loyalty. It's a calculated risk of sorts for Finnair to generate short-term cash by dilution and hoping that the actually loyal pax will forget or not change their loyalty patterns over long-term in retaliation. Perhaps those who didn't qualify before and now do through points purchase will not fly anyway and the lounges will stay empty which is another supporting argument for finnair to take such a risk. It's a balancing act between angering actual loyal pax and generating cheap cash and so far they've landed the needle towards cash and they do not care too much about the feelings of loyal pax. There was a time in 2021 when AY Plat got not even a bottle of water at HEL, while QR gave you the Plaza Premium. #waterbottlegate. Who remembers that anymore? Not many, so that risk and cost-saving paid off for Finnair. Well, they do protect Lumo still, as the purchased points do not count towards it, but when Lumo does not have a separate lounge, or anything on top of plat, it just seems pointless to chase it. I'd much rather enjoy the QSuite instead and get Qmiles than chase Lumo. Yet I'd say I've been exceptionally loyal to Finnair for 10+ years, too much so from any rational point of view (while I didn't fly as much as I do now when I was 10 years younger, I've always been loyal).
Ed Size likes this.
Old Dec 22, 2021, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by reflektia
I personally hate business travel via BKK as planes are full of tourists. Very rarely my destination is Bangkok, so I can choose transit point. But BKK is very important transit-point and destination for many business travellers going to the area. Singapore is 2 hours "wrong way", HKG used to be best in area, but in future I believe HKG will become less desirable due to new policies.
In the front of the bus touristic bouncers don't really disturb.

I have (had?) BKK both as a destination and as a connecting point for Indochina (LA, VN, MM even MY) usually combining the two. HKG is not really as useful for those. For me the lure of Honkers is gone anyway, due to the mainlandization/crackdown/etc we have been seeing - though I love that city.

SIN is another important connecting point both for the rest of SEA and Ozzie/Kiwi but as you say it, for Indochina it's the "wrong way"
Old Dec 22, 2021, 8:31 am

Programs: AY LUMO
Originally Posted by zxcv1
There was a time in 2021 when AY Plat got not even a bottle of water at HEL, while QR gave you the Plaza Premium. #waterbottlegate. Who remembers that anymore?
I remember in June 2020 only place you can get something to drink at HEL was Smith&Wesson kiosk at gate 29.
ffay005, Ed Size, florens and 2 others like this.
Old Dec 22, 2021, 9:33 am

Programs: AY, M&M, BAEC ...and don t care of status anymore
Originally Posted by OH-LGG
I remember in June 2020 only place you can get something to drink at HEL was Smith&Wesson kiosk at gate 29.
And I was forced to a 4 hours transit, sitting on the floor and had warm overpriced salad.
Old Dec 22, 2021, 10:12 am

Programs: AY LUMO
Originally Posted by Ed Size
And I was forced to a 4 hours transit, sitting on the floor and had warm overpriced salad.
Sounds Premium
Steve_Hun likes this.
Old Dec 23, 2021, 1:14 am

Programs: AY, M&M, BAEC ...and don t care of status anymore
Originally Posted by OH-LGG
Sounds Premium
A AY Plat traveling in Businessclass, at least is was sunny and I was more or less the only person at the airport, COVID travel at its best.
Old May 30, 2022, 2:51 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Well, it took 35 months of membership "year" to come this far, so can I please have the next membership year to be three years long?

SPBanker and Steve_Hun like this.
Old May 30, 2022, 3:29 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Originally Posted by intuition
Well, it took 35 months of membership "year" to come this far, so can I please have the next membership year to be three years long?

Ten seasons more it is then😉

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.