Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Will AY Extend elite status or otherwise incentivize travel postponed by COVID-19?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will AY Extend elite status or otherwise incentivize travel postponed by COVID-19?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2020, 7:41 am
Company Representative, Finnair

Programs: Finnair Plus
Originally Posted by NoWindowSeat

Edit: And if you ask AY not to extend your period, maybe they’ll do it, Lumotic and all? They don’t lose anything with that..
yes, absolutely. just drop me a DM and we will take care of that.
Cupart and Superrman like this.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 7:52 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by NoWindowSeat
Interesting to hear how you see it like that? Every tracking period will always cover each and every day of the year so seasonal travelling patterns shouldn’t make any difference, meaning it doesn’t change a thing if one’s tracking starts in August or January?
With the question about next period answered (it is going to be a normal full 12M), I can see 2 problems for :

If you already have or soon will have requalified, your original membership year is soon ending and you have plans to fly extensively through the next 6 months, an extension can be counterproductive. This is mostly us idiots flying to reach tier.

Also, despite seasonal patterns covered in any 12M period, some might feel one date is better than another. For instance Jan 1 as year start will always cut a Christmas trip in halves. For a traveller with a winter pattern it is difficult to put that trip on the right side of membership year end. In the long run it will equal out, but the first year will be odd.
Also, don't underestimate how we may be animals of habit. The membership year end may be hard wired into some travellers biological clock!!

They are small things, just wanted to list my 0,02 as you asked!
OH-LGG likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 7:53 am
Ambassador: Finnair

Programs: AY Lumo, BA Silver, HHonors Gold
On behalf of us all, many thanks FinnairPlus for taking the time to participate and answer our questions and concerns. Very much appreciated.

Further, from my own perspective I can say that I’m very pleased with AY during these unprecedented times, waivers are very good, CS surprisingly well available and now this AY Plus change also came very early and proactively.

Well done, AY
ffay005, mhle, intuition and 2 others like this.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 7:56 am

Programs: AY LUMO
Are 200k 300k 400k etc milestones still valid?
Old Mar 13, 2020, 7:58 am
Ambassador: Finnair

Programs: AY Lumo, BA Silver, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by intuition
With the question about next period answered (it is going to be a normal full 12M), I can see 2 problems for :

If you already have or soon will have requalified, your original membership year is soon ending and you have plans to fly extensively through the next 6 months, an extension can be counterproductive. This is mostly us idiots flying to reach tier.

Also, despite seasonal patterns covered in any 12M period, some might feel one date is better than another. For instance Jan 1 as year start will always cut a Christmas trip in halves. For a traveller with a winter pattern it is difficult to put that trip on the right side of membership year end. In the long run it will equal out, but the first year will be odd.
Also, don't underestimate how we may be animals of habit. The membership year end may be hard wired into some travellers biological clock!!

As FinnairPlus confirmed, one can always ask the period extension to be cancelled. Thinking it one step further, if they wanted, they could easily
manually grant the extension to be anything between 0-6 months, with 6 being the default if no action by the customer... just thinking out loud..
Old Mar 13, 2020, 8:01 am

Originally Posted by OH-LGG
Are 200k 300k 400k etc milestones still valid?
yes, they are.
NoWindowSeat and ffay005 like this.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 8:03 am

Originally Posted by FinnairPlus
yes, they are.
Ok. Thanks for info.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 8:07 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
FinnairPlus , thanks, I very much appreciate it that you come here to answer our questions.

For me personally, the extension is probably more bad news than good news, but overall it's a good solution, even with the voucher issue.

I needed to call AY today as MMB only triggered errors when I tried to change one of my bookings. My waiting time was only 10 minutes. Positively surprised about that as they must have so much to do up in Kajaani right now. I hope this is over soon, and that my weekend trips to DXB next weekend and LHR the weekend after that will work out.
NoWindowSeat and Ed Size like this.

Last edited by ffay005; Mar 13, 2020 at 8:16 am
Old Mar 13, 2020, 8:11 am

Programs: AY+ Platinum
Originally Posted by FinnairPlus
yes, they are.
So, if my current tracking period ends 31.5, it postpone until 30.11 and new tracking period starts 1.12.20 and ends 30.11.2021? So my tracking period goes 6 months later?
Old Mar 13, 2020, 8:13 am

If this 6 months extra could be transferable to the next period, then it would help.

But I guess most of AY loyals are pleased with this extra 6 months.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 8:16 am

Originally Posted by Extra Mile
So, if my current tracking period ends 31.5, it postpone until 30.11 and new tracking period starts 1.12.20 and ends 30.11.2021? So my tracking period goes 6 months later?
This is how it will work, yes.
And your next vouchers will be issued 01DEC20.
FinnairPlus likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 8:29 am

Originally Posted by intuition

this is my team's discussion from yesterday almost verbatim and really, if someone is unhappy with this, just reach out and we will fix it.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 8:38 am

Programs: AY Gold
Originally Posted by OH-LGG
If this 6 months extra could be transferable to the next period, then it would help.
This, a million times. My current tracking period ends in end of Apr and I have absolutely nothing to gain on this tracking period as I just made plat and lumo is unattainable for me. Pushing current period 6 months means that I need to push everything I can to Nov, which is not feasible. If the extension would be added to my next tracking period, I would have more options, for example for my travel currently planned for Sep.

The way this is playing now, I feel the first time that I am unlikely to requalify on my next tracking period anymore.
OH-LGG likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 8:39 am

Programs: AY, M&M, BAEC ...and don t care of status anymore
At this point the 6 month extention is a fair move, thank you AY.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 8:40 am

Originally Posted by Antx
This, a million times. My current tracking period ends in end of Apr and I have absolutely nothing to gain on this tracking period as I just made plat and lumo is unattainable for me. Pushing current period 6 months means that I need to push everything I can to Nov, which is not feasible. If the extension would be added to my next tracking period, I would have more options, for example for my travel currently planned for Sep.

The way this is playing now, I feel the first time that I am unlikely to requalify on my next tracking period anymore.
Then conctact AY and ask not to have the 6 month extension.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.