Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Premium economy coming spring 2022

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2021, 11:22 am

Originally Posted by Courmisch
The probability that Platina customers can upgrade to PE for free is 0%.

The only question is how business upgrades, with points and with voucher, will or will not evolve.
One option is that LH upgrades will be converted to SH upgrades 1 to 4, and only standard upgrade coupons will be issued. One is for SH eco-biz, 2 for LH eco-prem or prem-biz and 4 for eco-biz. That would not "enhance" upgrades, but they would remain as before and offer premium economy in between.
Old Oct 27, 2021, 11:25 am

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
Originally Posted by reflektia
One option is that LH upgrades will be converted to SH upgrades 1 to 4, and only standard upgrade coupons will be issued. One is for SH eco-biz, 2 for LH eco-prem or prem-biz and 4 for eco-biz. That would not "enhance" upgrades, but they would remain as before and offer premium economy in between.
That sounds way too advanced for a marketing department to come up with
Old Oct 27, 2021, 11:51 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
The 3 US carriers introduced a system where you can waitlist to J while using the voucher to confirm PE if you want or you can stay in Y and waitlist for J if you don't wanna risk wasting the voucher for PE. I hope AY takes this approach but not holding my breath.
Old Oct 27, 2021, 4:15 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Originally Posted by Courmisch
That sounds way too advanced for a marketing department to come up with
Actually, this model was discussed here earlier (a long time ago), and I believe Ela said they were thinking along those lines at AY as well. We'll see.
Old Oct 27, 2021, 5:15 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite
There is not just enough info what that PE will be. Is it just onboard benefits or pre-flight too? Most likely no lounge, but I would expect some priorities.

Sounds like a good idea to have X upgrades. You can use 1 upgrade to go from E to PE and 1 or 2 more to got from PE to Biz. Your choice. Same for points.?Dunno. We will have to see.
Old Oct 28, 2021, 12:23 am

Programs: AY+ Platinum / FlyingBlue Gold
Originally Posted by srieppo
There is not just enough info what that PE will be. Is it just onboard benefits or pre-flight too? Most likely no lounge, but I would expect some priorities.

Sounds like a good idea to have X upgrades. You can use 1 upgrade to go from E to PE and 1 or 2 more to got from PE to Biz. Your choice. Same for points.?Dunno. We will have to see.
I just hope they won’t devaluate upgrade vouchers and points by only allowing us to upgrade one class at a time. Eg pay 50k points for Eco to PE, and another 50k points for PE to J
florens likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2021, 12:55 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Originally Posted by EuroFlash
I just hope they won’t devaluate upgrade vouchers and points by only allowing us to upgrade one class at a time. Eg pay 50k points for Eco to PE, and another 50k points for PE to J
I doubt they will go that drastic, but realistically it's doubtful it will be a positive change for members in my opinion, hopefully I am wrong...

If they offer 100% or 125% or 150% for PE earnings is what concerns me....

I actually often fly PE as the price point is sustainable for me but for instance I always go with the best bang for buck both comfort and points wise
Courmisch likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2021, 12:59 am

Programs: AY ex-Lumo, TK Elite, BT VIP, ITA Executive
Originally Posted by EuroFlash
I'd expect something like 35+35 as another nail to the coffin.

I'll refresh my point here by saying that Lumo tier should include seat availability based upgrades at gate, even if just from Classic fares. To Vegetarian J on short-haul and to Mysterious PE on long-haul. Sadly, we all know what type of people works at Finnair decision making roles, so we are closer to the 35+35 model "because our customers wished to have more flexibility in upgrade decisions".

Prove me wrong, AY.
r2d2, ffay005, esledo and 1 others like this.
Old Oct 28, 2021, 2:29 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
one option is that lh upgrades will be converted to sh upgrades 1 to 4, and only standard upgrade coupons will be issued. One is for sh eco-biz, 2 for lh eco-prem or prem-biz and 4 for eco-biz. That would not "enhance" upgrades, but they would remain as before and offer premium economy in between.
ay it? 😉😉😉😉
Old Oct 28, 2021, 2:59 am
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
The idea of "unit vouchers" was rather well recieved at that workshop, right? Still, no guarantee what will come.

As for earnings and what soft perks will be included...
My guess is basically nothing. We all know they want to unbundle and up-sell let us customise travel to our needs, so seat-selection, bags, lounge and such cannot be include.

PE Light - zero bag, seat selection for a fee, "priority" boarding included (group ≈7). No change, no refund. 75% earnings

Classic - 1 bag, seat selection for a fee, "priority" boarding included (group ≈7). Change with huge penalty, no refund. 100 % earnings

Flex - 1 bag, selection of standard seat included, nice seats cost extra, "priority" boarding included (group ≈7). Change, refund at nominal fee. 125 % earnings

Business class checkin desk might be included in some or all PE. No lounge, no wifi. I think it is unlikely 'Prio security' would be included in any PE, but perhaps in flex.

PE will offer an "enhanced culinary experience".

Just my 2 cents.
ffay005 likes this.

Last edited by intuition; Oct 28, 2021 at 3:05 am
Old Oct 28, 2021, 4:09 am

Originally Posted by intuition
The idea of "unit vouchers" was rather well recieved at that workshop, right? Still, no guarantee what will come.

As for earnings and what soft perks will be included...
My guess is basically nothing. We all know they want to unbundle and up-sell let us customise travel to our needs, so seat-selection, bags, lounge and such cannot be include.

PE Light - zero bag, seat selection for a fee, "priority" boarding included (group ≈7). No change, no refund. 75% earnings

Classic - 1 bag, seat selection for a fee, "priority" boarding included (group ≈7). Change with huge penalty, no refund. 100 % earnings

Flex - 1 bag, selection of standard seat included, nice seats cost extra, "priority" boarding included (group ≈7). Change, refund at nominal fee. 125 % earnings

Business class checkin desk might be included in some or all PE. No lounge, no wifi. I think it is unlikely 'Prio security' would be included in any PE, but perhaps in flex.

Just my 2 cents.
Classic will probably remain "change with small fee", like value ticket. Flex will be change/cancel at no fee. They have to offer it for business travel.
Old Oct 28, 2021, 4:24 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Originally Posted by intuition
An additional piece of grilled tofu in your salad?
Old Oct 28, 2021, 4:41 am
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Classic will probably remain "change with small fee", like value ticket. Flex will be change/cancel at no fee. They have to offer it for business travel.
I think how change fee will be in the long term is difficult to guess, depending on how post-pandemic flying will turn out and how price sensitive people are.

On cartel routes change has a penalty if done less than 48h in advance. Perhaps they'll keep such a structure but move the deadline to 7 days post-pandemic (and then just keep moing it earlier and earlier, to 14 days, to 28 days and so on, and then in practice we have "changes permitted with small fee". Currently it is 180€ in PE on cartel.

On cartel routes a classic ticket in both Y and PE allows for refund at 180€ penalty. However, and this is a major anomaly. J classic on AY flights does not (or has a 100% penalty), just like all classic tickets on non-cartel AY flights. J classic on a cartel partner har 250€ penalty.

As Finnair removed cancellation from all classic tickets in their control, I assume this is where they want to go. And thus PE classic will very likely have a no cancellation clause, as long as AY can control it.

I do wonder who will buy these Finnair tickets on Finnair flights, when the same routes at the same prices are offerd on eg JL with massively better conditions.
Old Oct 28, 2021, 4:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
For me it's all about the long haul hard product - if it's the same eco seats as the back of the plane, it makes no sense at all. OTOH if it's a real PE product, like SK has (CPH-ERW was really nice for a daytime flight) or some others than it could be a serious value proposal. OTOH we haven't heard anything about refitting any of the long haul birds, so I'm afraid it the former option...

For short haul it's irrelevant, I even managed 2+ hrs in an ATR72. Free exit seat (on a jet) with salads are all I need. Throw in seat block and another salad and I'm happy.
Old Oct 28, 2021, 4:56 am

Programs: AY LUMO
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
For me it's all about the long haul hard product - if it's the same eco seats as the back of the plane, it makes no sense at all. OTOH if it's a real PE product, like SK has (CPH-ERW was really nice for a daytime flight) or some others than it could be a serious value proposal. OTOH we haven't heard anything about refitting any of the long haul birds, so I'm afraid it the former option...

For short haul it's irrelevant, I even managed 2+ hrs in an ATR72. Free exit seat (on a jet) with salads are all I need. Throw in seat block and another salad and I'm happy.
You mean ATRs Premium Eco ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.