Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Premium economy coming spring 2022

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2018, 1:03 am
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Premium economy coming spring 2022

Finnair will ... introduce a new Premium Economy cabin class for its long-haul fleet. These investments speak of Finnair’s commitment to offer a high level of customer comfort and increased choice for its customers.  
The rollout of Premium Economy class to Finnair’s long-haul fleet starts in Q4 2020 and is expected to be completed by the end of 2022
Finnair invests in customer comfort: new ATR cabins in 2019, new Premium Economy class for long-haul as of 2021 - Finnair
florens and remymartin like this.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 1:13 am
odo

I just hope vouchers are still from Y -> J still after this.

But premium economy was long time coming. All of their joint venture partners have it and for many airlines it's best profiting class in their aircraft.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 1:20 am

Programs: AY LUMO
Let's see if Y+ is a new ticket type and new fare or is it Y ticket and then Y+ available as ancillary service.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 1:24 am
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Exactly . Press release says they are still evaluating business model. What is decided though is that it will be a separate cabin with a separate concept. But thechnically it could still be the same business model as for current comfort, just with a better offer.
AdamGalbreath likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 1:36 am

Programs: AY LUMO
And of course launching this new Economy Premium it is great opportunity to drop out included meals, drinks and luggage in basic Y class.
ffay005, vulle, florens and 8 others like this.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 1:57 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Very interesting. A welcome change but at the same time this raises so many questions. What will happen to upgrades by points or vouchers? Will AY improve the J cabin and catering to distinguish it from PE, or will they make Y worse, or both? Will Y+ disappear? What about the price point? If the average Y ticket costs €700 and the average J ticket €2700, how much will an average PE ticket cost? €1700? Accrual 150 %?

The biggest question, I guess, is the impact on J loads. Today's PE seats are almost as good as an intercontinental J seat in the year 2000. How many pax will move from J to PE when it becomes available?
Cupart likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 2:00 am

Originally Posted by OH-LGG
Let's see if Y+ is a new ticket type and new fare or is it Y ticket and then Y+ available as ancillary service.
Are there any airlines out there who have a separate PE cabin class but only sell it as an ancillary service?
Old Nov 6, 2018, 2:36 am

Programs: AY Platinum (OWE), SK G(*G), BW Diamond
It is quite obvious that direct upgrade to J will seize to exist, likely a scaled upgrade model is implemented:
i.e. 20 kP for Economy premium
+50k for business ( I would not be surprised if the total sum would exceed current 50k)

What really matters is whether direct two class upgrades will be allowed or not. Worst case is that only one class upgrade is possible, but naturally it all depends on price points.

Vouchers might be more difficult but that might be something where "direct" upgrades would be possible as they are truly granted for loyalty. Once again, as long as upgrades are allowed to all booking classes, no problems, but one could easily also see that upgrades from light-fares will not be possible.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 2:38 am

Programs: AY Platinum, IHG Gold, Diners
I’m surprised. In the event in February (IIRC) where the new lounge design was discussed, we also got to test some seats that they were considering for a possible PE. However, the Finnair reps did not seem too enthusiastic, especially as the feedback they got wasn’t overwhelmingly positive, and as the extra price people were willing to pay didn’t seem very high. I as against the idea, and expressed my worry about the vouchers, upgrades with points etc.

Maybe plats could get 4 vouchers instead of 2? One voucher for each ”step”?
Old Nov 6, 2018, 2:59 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by ffay005
Very interesting. A welcome change but at the same time this raises so many questions. What will happen to upgrades by points or vouchers? Will AY improve the J cabin and catering to distinguish it from PE, or will they make Y worse, or both? Will Y+ disappear? What about the price point? If the average Y ticket costs €700 and the average J ticket €2700, how much will an average PE ticket cost? €1700? Accrual 150 %?

The biggest question, I guess, is the impact on J loads. Today's PE seats are almost as good as an intercontinental J seat in the year 2000. How many pax will move from J to PE when it becomes available?
Realistically it's not going to materially differ from what the many other airlines that have introduced PE have done. It's an established price/product proposition and relatively standardised
remymartin likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 3:08 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), SK EBG (*A Gold), KQ Plat (STE+), Accor Plat
This makes me worried, too, for obvious reasons. Also, I think PEY very rarely is worth the extra money. I truly hope AY will be wise enough not to screw us over by devaluing the upgrades.
cistavoda likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 4:39 am

Programs: AY+ Platinum
I have a really healthy AY points balance and use them for SH and LH upgrades everytime when it makes sense. It would be disappointing if basic Y ticket could not be upgraded to J anymore, but only to PE. Of course if PE would have a nice seat, excellent food and attentive service then I don't even need J anymore.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 4:47 am

Originally Posted by Tapio
Of course if PE would have a nice seat, excellent food and attentive service then I don't even need J anymore.
This. I wonder how many company accounts will make the same reasoning.
vulle likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 4:50 am

It's interesting how the three-class concept has come full circle. Some twenty years ago, airlines routinely offered three classes of service: Economy, Business and First. BA was probably the only major carrier to offer WT+, a fourth class of travel.

Today, airlines again routinely offer three classes of service: Business with a hard product that is, in many cases, better or at par with the First of yesteryear; Premium Economy with a hard product comparable to old Business and Economy with harder, narrower and tighter seats than in old Economy.
vulle likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 5:25 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by odo
I just hope vouchers are still from Y -> J still after this.
Me too,

The US carriers take an interesting approach with their long haul vouchers, where members can choose if they upgrade to C or W from Y depending on the availability.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.