Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Premium economy coming spring 2022

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2020, 9:15 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
I just cannot belive your view A being campaign. That is too high expectation from them.
A has to be basic/light no-frills, and Campaign must be below it, otherwise the pricing is just too high and they would bust against competition.
B then Value or similar and C fullflex.

otherwise byebye finnair from me
Old Jan 27, 2020, 9:21 am

Programs: AY Platinum/OWE
Originally Posted by FFlash
I just cannot belive your view A being campaign. That is too high expectation from them.
A has to be basic/light no-frills, and Campaign must be below it, otherwise the pricing is just too high and they would bust against competition.
I agree that this would be a very costly scheme, but at the moment at least J fares are practically two-tiered (I / JCD). The other option would be to introduce both W and J with three-tiered sysytems, which would beg the question what a “basic” J will include – we might see some nasty unbundling of the premium products.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 9:24 am

Programs: AY, M&M, BAEC ...and don t care of status anymore
By the way does anyone have an idea what the PE will look like? Seats? Pitch? IFE? Food? - will this become the typical PE seat, which is more kind of an eco seat out of the 90ies? Or do they plan to really add some value? In my guess this system will totally drive me away from AY, since their J prices already not competitive anymore, and the status (upgrades) recognition already is kind of a bummer.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 9:28 am

Originally Posted by Ed Size
By the way does anyone have an idea what the PE will look like? Seats? Pitch? IFE? Food? - will this become the typical PE seat, which is more kind of an eco seat out of the 90ies? Or do they plan to really add some value? In my guess this system will totally drive me away from AY, since their J prices already not competitive anymore, and the status (upgrades) recognition already is kind of a bummer.
This is also begging launch NOW. No news.

My only answer is: it HAS TO BE the best on market as it will be the newest. Well we all believe in this, dont we ”
Ed Size and Steve_Hun like this.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 9:47 am

My only answer is: it HAS TO BE the best on market as it will be the newest. Well we all believe in this, dont we ”
I admire your “optimism”

Personally, I believe more in something like Economy Comfort seats in the previous location of the mini-J cabin, with newly designed “premium economy” logos on that thin clothpiece on the headrest and perhaps a new color on the seat fabric.

Also, toilets will be at row 40, shared with Y cabin.

This would be consistent with the comment from the purser on one of my long-hauls last year: “Now I hear they’re working on some new economy comfort” (Nyt on kuulemma jotain uutta comfortia tulossa).
Ed Size and FFlash like this.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 9:56 am

Originally Posted by DrSickle
the purser on one of my long-hauls last year: “Now I hear they’re working on some new economy comfort” (Nyt on kuulemma jotain uutta comfortia tulossa).
LOL you made me burst there

so Finnish expression ”kuulemma jotain uutta comforttia tulossa” and she must have said that with sincerity, whole-heartedly, frankly!!!

Edit: I am still laughing...this is in the same league as ”katotaan”-concept and alike
Old Jan 27, 2020, 10:49 am

LOL you made me burst there

so Finnish expression ”kuulemma jotain uutta comforttia tulossa” and she must have said that with sincerity, whole-heartedly, frankly!!!

Edit: I am still laughing...this is in the same league as ”katotaan”-concept and alike
The saddest thing was that we had been discussing some of the “enhancements” and she also shared my concern about decline in some aspects of the product (don’t remember exactly what we were discussing, but upgrade availability was one of the themes).

After which she made the above statement as a positive statement, implying that this was finally a turn for the better (sigh).

Also, that phrase didn’t give me much hope concerning the soft product quality, if this “new comfort” is the impression the FAs have been given.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 10:53 am

Programs: AY LUMO
I love AY FA's but we know all AY things faster and better here in FT than FAs onboard.
ffay005, intuition, FFlash and 1 others like this.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 11:05 am

Originally Posted by OH-LGG
I love AY FA's but we know all AY things faster and better here in FT than FAs onboard.
Well said, agree.

I love many of them are just so whole-hearted that I feel such sympathy for them. As DrSickle says above, when I get comments from them like telling me something as for a noob, I tend to almost tell her back that I know, I know, and correct her with ”the latest wisdom” but then my other brainhalf tells me to refrain from it and just pass, and that is the right way to go. Just smile and take that whole-hearted from her with a nod and indulge into my own FTworld
ffay005, vulle and Steve_Hun like this.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 11:55 am
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black

otherwise byebye finnair from me
Well, Campaign was maybe the wrong word, but similar to what DrSickle noticed I had difficulties believing they would go for a J Light.
Then again, it is a very clearly 3-tierd ticket structure and they do go on and on and on about personalisation and "letting everyone select the travel best suited". So maybe they believe unbundling in J is the way to go. They are indeed showing ticket price in J to also be base fare and ancillary, but compared to Y, "ancillary fare component" is much smaller in J (and PEY) cabin.

The only redeeming feature of a J light is if they let elites add back those features as FF-perks, like in Y (e.g. seat-selection free of charge for FF). But a lot of J flyers are FF, so such a move would just end up losing money.

Anyway, a J-light sounds like a nightmare for the traveller and a suicide for the airline so they are likely to do it
No, seriously, I can't see them do it. If for nothing else, it would not work with the AJB and the SJB and they would end up with a fragmented model again. Or maybe they don't have a problem with a fragmented model? Add a J-light that is only present on their main business (Chinese routes) and on the joint business do what ever BA decides they should do.

BTW, my money is on them dropping the Value moniker. They'll just adapt some silly name scheme from BA, I'm afraid.
FFlash likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 12:21 pm

Conversely, I actually thought the ”missing light-J” is something I might ask for! If cheap (wellwell, if if...), just a sleeperbed and leave the pampering for lounge
Old Jan 27, 2020, 12:29 pm
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Maybe we can even get LGG to start travelling J light! He can bring baguette from deli and Singha (or that home made thai brew that is cooking in the garage)
FFlash likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by intuition
Maybe we can even get LGG to start travelling J light! He can bring baguette from deli and Singha (or that home made thai brew that is cooking in the garage)
So Finnair saves money even more since all high-loungebar-consuming-FTers are moving to LGG’s garage lounge
Old Jan 27, 2020, 12:38 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Conversely, I actually thought the ”missing light-J” is something I might ask for! If cheap (wellwell, if if...), just a sleeperbed and leave the pampering for lounge
Problem is, if they unbundle J, it does not necessarily mean that the cheapest J tickets will become cheaper. They just keep the price the same and take away meals, bedding, drinks, IFE and whatnot. Then you'll need to pay €200 extra for Business Value to get what you have today.
FFlash likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 12:53 pm

Programs: AY LUMO
Originally Posted by intuition
Absolutely!
I take only J seat and bring my own Kotipizza (family size) and few Chang thai beers with me. No need for AY's microwave sized and fishy caterings.
intuition, FFlash and DrSickle like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.