Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Premium economy coming spring 2022

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2022, 5:18 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by OldFruity
Just booked Prg -Mel in Prem Econ. Noted that there was no recognition of OW Emerald status on any ticket / or MMB reference. Therefore I had to pay to select an aisle seat - 1200 CZK ish. Thought OW Emerald status guaranteed free preferred seat selection or am I missing something. 2 one ways marginally cheaper than a return by the way saving Euro 60 or so. 1500 GBP out and 1000 back mid July so not a bad price when compared to other Y tickets.
OF
Never had this problem with AY, even when I was crediting to QR. Was just booking a flight and tried to enter my QR number (still OWS after not flying them for 4 years) and seats showed up as costing 0. You should get in touch with Finnair.
Old May 31, 2022, 5:29 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Originally Posted by mpkz
Never had this problem with AY, even when I was crediting to QR. Was just booking a flight and tried to enter my QR number (still OWS after not flying them for 4 years) and seats showed up as costing 0. You should get in touch with Finnair.
Indeed, in Y or J. Perhaps this is a bug in PE?
Old Jun 1, 2022, 6:46 am

Programs: BA Gold AVIS Presidents Club
Called AY and 20 mins on the phone resulted in an escalation of the problem, so awaiting an email with a resolution.
Note that the Avios calculator on BA's website doesnt yet list PE on AY flights so probably a WIP all around.
Same problem will no doubt occur when I book the flight back in a few weeks.
OF
Edited to add that as of today 1 Jun BA calculator shows AY PE . Thanks to Head For Points Wed chat BA forum for that update.

Last edited by OldFruity; Jun 1, 2022 at 2:38 pm
Old Jun 20, 2022, 4:57 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by mpkz
Has anyone got a link to a seating guide in PE? Is the first row good for tall people (normally bulkheads are too close for me)?
​​​​​​​I recently flew JFK-HEL on the A330 sitting in 21A (bulkhead). I'm 6'1", and I found it virtually impossible to find a comfortable place for my feet. When I landed I immediately switched my return flight to 23D so so that I can have space to stretch my legs out in front of me, and can also recline at any time. We'll see how that works out

Also worth noting - the storage for bulkhead seats is abysmal. All the stuff that's on your seat when you board can't even fit in the little pocket on the wall, let alone any of your personal items you might want close by. The lavatory is also directly in front of 21 A/B, so if you do choose the bulkhead, choose the other side.
FFlash and mpkz like this.

Last edited by matticusbond; Jun 20, 2022 at 4:59 pm Reason: Added intended quote.
Old Jun 23, 2022, 12:19 am

Originally Posted by matticusbond
I recently flew JFK-HEL on the A330 sitting in 21A (bulkhead). I'm 6'1", and I found it virtually impossible to find a comfortable place for my feet.
I'm an inch shorter and I think 21H was perfect. I like to rest my feet againts the wall.

I was prepared to travel in 51A exit seat but got upgraded to premium economy. Not sure if economy was sold out but it was a nice suprise.
Originally Posted by matticusbond
The lavatory is also directly in front of 21 A/B, so if you do choose the bulkhead, choose the other side.
Is that lavatory for premium economy passangers too? At least everybody used it and cabin crew didn't care.
Old Jun 23, 2022, 1:05 am

Programs: Onko teillä S-etukorttia?
Originally Posted by AY005

Is that lavatory for premium economy passangers too? At least everybody used it and cabin crew didn't care.
AY cabin crew has never cared even if someone walk from 58Ö to J toilets at door 1.
Old Jun 23, 2022, 1:48 am
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by Jorma
AY cabin crew has never cared even if someone walk from 58Ö to J toilets at door 1.
Not true! I was extremely important to guard the front lavs for crew only for awhile...
r2d2, Ed Size, florens and 5 others like this.
Old Jun 26, 2022, 12:53 pm

Programs: AY+ Lumo, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Jorma
Confirmed by crew, economy pax can use J lavatories and come through the curtain. So now J pax must queue longer for toilets. No idea if this is a company wide enhancement or just that particular flight. A350.
esledo likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2022, 4:41 pm
Ambassador: Finnair Plus
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Priority Club Plat Amb, Miles and Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by zxcv1
Confirmed by crew, economy pax can use J lavatories and come through the curtain. So now J pax must queue longer for toilets. No idea if this is a company wide enhancement or just that particular flight. A350.
Well, at least today on AY009 nobody came to biz lavs from behind the curtains. And the lavatory at the galley between C and PE (i.e. behind row 7 on the left side) was BIG.
Old Jun 26, 2022, 11:51 pm
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by zxcv1
Sometimes a "policy" on Finnair is just a lack of another policy.
Ie, unless they specifically stated "pax should stay in their respective cabin" most crew will not apply any efforts to guard that.
Some airlines are very good at guarding their premium cabins, not like AY.

Those who remember the old (A340/A330) cabins knows there used to be 4 toilets for 42 J pax. With the old-new cabins it became 3 toilets to 45 J pax. Already back then I argued that J lavs has a very different usage than Y lavs, and that lav-to-pax ratio is an important factor in business class.
For example, in J there is an expectation to be able to change clothes and shave and that requires a much higher ratio.
For some airlines I guess the lure of more pax and less "wasted" space for lavs is to strong, and it is all about the race to the bottom.
Old Jul 1, 2022, 12:07 pm

Flew jfk-hel in PE, the seat is extremely uncomfortable for me.
Ed Size and napapiiri like this.
Old Jul 2, 2022, 12:00 am

Programs: AY, M&M, BAEC ...and don t care of status anymore
Originally Posted by casper79
Flew jfk-hel in PE, the seat is extremely uncomfortable for me.
PE is just not what you think it is, it is economy with a little more room/service, not business with less service.

I did a few trips on PE in the past, it never worked on longer flights, on flights up to six/seven hours its mostly OK to me, even if I m pretty tall.
Old Jul 3, 2022, 4:58 am

Originally Posted by Ed Size
PE is just not what you think it is, it is economy with a little more room/service, not business with less service.

I did a few trips on PE in the past, it never worked on longer flights, on flights up to six/seven hours its mostly OK to me, even if I m pretty tall.
That there is nothing premium about became clear. The downside of PE is that they took room from business. Flight from JFK was sold out in business two weeks befor flight. Hope it triggers competition on the route.
Old Jul 5, 2022, 8:25 pm

Programs: BA Gold AVIS Presidents Club
Have just flown PE PRG -MEL and was disappointed after reading the AY hype. The OW fare was about 40% dearer than Economy . PRG -HEL was in Y as was SIN-MEL with QF. The seat was OK giving a little more room than the row behind in Y, and at least you got your own armrest plus an amenity pack. Food was very disappointing though and there was nothing 'crafted 'about the Carefully Crafted menu - unquote . A non descript starter, beef stew and potato and an unappetising small chocolate cake wrapped in cellophane (uneaten by both my neighbour and myself) was it for the main meal, whilst breakfast consisted of Gnocchi in a box! All very bland IMO and 'crafted', if that's the right word, by AY's accountants rather than anyone with knowledge / interest in providing decent food on a 13 hr flight. Service was functional, though i tried to sleep as much as possible, so I don't know the frequency of crew drink visits. But I shan't be spending the money on PE again and will stick with QR in Y, where in my recent experience the service has been very good, food quite for Y , status acknowledged ,and exit row seats bookable for free. Shame as I used to enjoy flying AY J pre covid when their pricing and product were competitive. I sat in the new J seat briefly after landing prior to disembarking and its not for me though each to their own.
OF

Carefully Crafted Gnocchi? (Ay hype) - I think not!
ffay005 and cistavoda like this.

Last edited by OldFruity; Jul 5, 2022 at 8:29 pm Reason: spelling
Old Jul 6, 2022, 5:25 am

Programs: AY ex-Lumo, TK Elite, BT VIP, ITA Executive
Based on the outer colour of the box, I believe they meant krafted as from kraft paper. You must have misunderstood, but customers wished to see sustainable packaging.
SPBanker, cistavoda and Steve_Hun like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.