Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Lumo in da house!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2022, 1:20 pm

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), TK Elite (*G), BT VIP, HH D, BW DS
Originally Posted by ffay005
Could I ask our Lumo members for a favour. I’d like to know the measurements of the Tumi bag. If the wheels protrude, both with and without. Thanks!

I should get one in October.
I believe this is the model that I was sent in March this year (but in black color).

https://be.tumi.com/en/tumi-v4-tumi-...0711-T176.html

I’ve been very happy with the bag so far, and it became my go-to for short summer trips as I can carry laptop in the side pocket and avoid having to take a backpack at all
Old Aug 9, 2022, 1:58 pm

Programs: AY Plat Lumo; HH Diamond
Originally Posted by SuloL
I believe this is the model that I was sent in March this year (but in black color).

https://be.tumi.com/en/tumi-v4-tumi-...0711-T176.html

I’ve been very happy with the bag so far, and it became my go-to for short summer trips as I can carry laptop in the side pocket and avoid having to take a backpack at all
I got the same one in the Spring. Used it once. It is nice, but I prefer cases with a soft top for ATR72 connections, as you have to push this one in really hard into the overhead with a potential to scratch it.
Old Aug 9, 2022, 2:00 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Thanks. It looks nice and functional. And it seems to meet all legacy carriers' measurements just fine.

(The reason I'm asking is that, as it happens, I had to buy a rollaboard in Los Angeles due to all the shopping... And now I'm thinking whether to sell it right away, as it's only been used once. I have an older Samsonite at home which I can use till October, and the one I bought was also a Samsonite. As the Tumi looks fine, I won't really need the new Samsonite.)
Old Aug 9, 2022, 2:30 pm
Ambassador: Finnair

Programs: AY Lumo, BA Silver, HHonors Gold
Those Lumos who are old enough in this game to have AY Rimowas as well, have you ditched those and favor the Tumi more? I will have luggage needs in the family later in the fall and wonder if I should wait for the Tumi also or buy normal cabin Rimowa (which is my favourite brand, thanks to AY, overall really good stuff and can easily go for 15-20 years so they are actually very cheap in the end).

However, as most seem happy with the Tumi so might as well wait..just interested in comparison to aluminium Rimowa specifically.
kauppias likes this.

Last edited by NoWindowSeat; Aug 9, 2022 at 2:54 pm
Old Aug 9, 2022, 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by NoWindowSeat
Those Lumos who are old enough in this game to have AY Rimowas as well, have you ditched those and favor the Tumi more? I will have luggage needs in the family later in the fall and wonder if I should wait for the Tumi also or buy normal cabin Rimowa (which is my favourite brand, thanks to AY, overall really good stuff and can easily go for 15-20 years so they are actually very cheap in the end).

However, as most seem happy with the Tuni so might as well wait..just interested in comparison to aluminium Rimowa specificlly.
Something to keep in mind - the shiny black plastic coat covering the case shell of the TUMI gets marked and scratched very easily
Old Aug 9, 2022, 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by Besstrashny Boug
Something to keep in mind - the shiny black plastic coat covering the case shell of the TUMI gets marked and scratched very easily
Thanks, another thing I wonder about are the zippers, I don’t like trolleys with zippers, just not made for heavy duty travel and would never buy one like that with money…still hope the Tumis are good enough quality to last for few years at least
Old Aug 9, 2022, 2:49 pm

Thanks, another thing I wonder about are the zippers, I don’t like trolleys with zippers, just not made for heavy duty travel and would never buy one like that with money…still hope the Tumis are good enough quality to last for few years at least
I agree with you on the zippers. These zippers will probably last a few years with gentle-ish use.
NoWindowSeat likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2022, 4:10 pm

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red

However, as most seem happy with the Tumi so might as well wait..just interested in comparison to aluminium Rimowa specifically.
I was going to get a Rimowa but they don't make two wheelers so I bought a Briggs & Riley just recently and it is great! The expandable compression system is a miracle, I can expand the bag and pack it full and then squash it back into its original shape. I have no idea if you can find them easily in Finland.

Baseline Essential 2-Wheel Carry-On | Briggs & Riley (briggs-riley.com)
NoWindowSeat likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2022, 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
I was going to get a Rimowa but they don't make two wheelers so I bought a Briggs & Riley just recently and it is great! The expandable compression system is a miracle, I can expand the bag and pack it full and then squash it back into its original shape. I have no idea if you can find them easily in Finland.

Looks nice, I fully get the 2-wheel thing, prefer them too, luckily my ancient AY Rimowas are almost older than some Head of States today so the cabin models only have 2 wheels, old school stuff..
miamiflyer8 likes this.

Last edited by NoWindowSeat; Aug 9, 2022 at 4:31 pm
Old Aug 9, 2022, 4:34 pm

Looks nice, I fully get the 2-wheel thing, prefer them too, luckily my ancient AY Rimowas are almost older than some Head of States today so the cabin models only have 2 wheels, old school stuff..
And this is puzzling as your choices for 2-wheelers are very limited these days, Tumi*, Samsonite, etc. only have spinners, one would think they'd have at least one carry on which is not a spinner. Seems like bag designers haven't actually ever traveled themselves.

*Went to their flagship store here in Atlanta and was looked at as if I was from another planet when I asked for said model...
NoWindowSeat likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2022, 5:21 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Originally Posted by Besstrashny Boug
I agree with you on the zippers. These zippers will probably last a few years with gentle-ish use.
On my Samsonites, I've never had a problem with the zippers. They're superdurable, even if I cram the bag too full. It's the handle that breakst, or sometimes the wheels.
NoWindowSeat and Steve_Hun like this.
Old Aug 10, 2022, 1:02 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by miamiflyer8

Looks good, but can't help to notice it doesn't fit inside Finnair new allowed size for carry-on. I assume you haven't had any issues though?
ffay005 likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2022, 10:49 am

Originally Posted by intuition
Looks good, but can't help to notice it doesn't fit inside Finnair new allowed size for carry-on. I assume you haven't had any issues though?
I have yet to take it onboard an AY flight so that remains to be seen, I have never had AY measure or weigh my carry on so in the future I doubt I’ll get much trouble. I honestly didn’t even think of that but I guess it’s sort of moot given where I’m based these days.
Old Aug 10, 2022, 10:56 am

I’ve had a bad run recently with AY but even I cannot imagine AY banning their Lumo gift trolley from their own cabins.
ffay005 likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2022, 11:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Those Lumos who are old enough in this game to have AY Rimowas as well, have you ditched those and favor the Tumi more?
Nope, quite the contrary - I got the Tumi and was lucky enough to be able to exchange it with a member on this board for a mint Rimowa!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.