Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Finnair Long Haul Business Class Food

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 14, 2018, 1:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: intuition
Longhaul menus are supposed to be visible in MMB, but it is often broken. At the time of publishing, this link works.
Collection of current longhaul J menus (finnair.com)
Print Wikipost

Finnair Long Haul Business Class Food

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2019, 11:22 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Originally Posted by Purjelentaja
No printed menus was from PEK. Actually I just checked the menus online and it's been changed, so obviously for one reason or another the menu catered from PEK had been changed and they hadn't the current ones onboard. Now, what is seen online sounds familiar: starter Blinis with smoked mackerel and salmon tartar. Main Pan fried salmon, white wine sauce and potato terrine with lemon. Both ok, but tastewise far from the quality one usually gets on flights ex-HEL
Okay! I've had the same ex-BKK once. They had changed the menus, but had old ones on board. They actually handed them out before they noticed it. Service on that particular flight was very good and personal, with dine-on-demand suggested by the FA etc.

To my understanding that was for intra-European dishes. At least I understood that long-haul dishes are done in-house. Or did I miss something?
The way I understood it was more that the "designed by chef blaablaa" dishes are prepared in HEL and the rest come deep frozen. But I could very well have misunderstood something there.
Old May 4, 2019, 12:05 pm

Programs: AY Plat Lumo, LX SEN, Marriott Titanium
Decided to try the other pre-order meal "Food Lover's Treat". Also fish.

This was just okay, not as tasty as some other long haul AY meals. Seriously, the normal menu arctic char is better. If you feel like having fish you should just take that one instead of this special menu.
Old May 4, 2019, 12:08 pm

Programs: AY Plat Lumo, LX SEN, Marriott Titanium
Sukiyaki beef on NGO-HEL in April. Pretty good, a little bit sweet. What a nice surprise it was to find out that there was a last minute plane change from a 330 to a 350.
Old May 4, 2019, 12:25 pm

Programs: AY ex-Lumo, TK Elite, BT VIP, ITA Executive
Helsinki to Beijing and back. On both directions it was one-tray service, which I somehow can understand on the overnight outbound leg of only 7hrs, but definately not on daytime inbound leg of 8hrs, when there is plenty of time for anything! When I asked about it on the way back, the reply was that as the outbound sector is one tray service due to short flight time, they cannot do it another way on the inbound, which to my understanding is total b******t.
I think "not enough time" is a very popular excuse in the airline industry. While some airlines will manage to distribute snacks and beverages on 1-hour flight, others will tell you there is little-to-no service due to the short flight time. Same for the one-tray service. While the mains are being heated, appetizers could already "traylessly" sit on the tableware. There is no time benefit for one-tray service, it just saves some extra work to FAs. And time is often less of an issue, whereas the service flow is. If there is no flow, it feels like ages and certainly makes the waiting for sleep less comfortable. Whereas with a flow, the time passes well and you get to bed at about the same time. Add taking drink orders before take-off, so that the first thing while airborne can be serving the drinks instead of an order round, and you have happier and more entertained passengers.

Originally Posted by DALtoAAL
Couldn't agree more with the previous poster regarding the one tray concept: it sucks big time! Ay should have regular, multi-course service as a standard on each and every long haul flight they operate, and the one tray service as second option for those who want to have the expedited service. Everything else is just lame. Period!
I have to put it here again - cold meal service could work as an expedited option. One-tray concept is not the case.
Purjelentaja likes this.
Old May 5, 2019, 1:14 am

Programs: AY LUMO
Originally Posted by ffay005
When it takes the crew 90 minutes to bring that tray, like on my recent JFK-HEL, you can't really talk about efficiency anymore. If service were efficient, they would have served all three courses in that 90 minutes, without any trays...
So if it takes 90 minutes before You get something to eat, do You need some idiotic games with trays or just eat quick and then do something else?
Old May 5, 2019, 7:00 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE)
Originally Posted by OH-LGG
So if it takes 90 minutes before You get something to eat, do You need some idiotic games with trays or just eat quick and then do something else?
I think for many travelling in J is also about eating in a relaxed atmosphere without any kind of rush, like in a good restaurant. Dining in an airplane can never match eating in a very good restaurant (like Savoy!), but can actually come close to it. It’s a shame to spoil it all with a one-tray (fast food) approach when it could be done the right way with just a little effort.
ffay005, Andaman, DALtoAAL and 6 others like this.
Old May 5, 2019, 8:36 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by ffay005
When it takes the crew 90 minutes to bring that tray, like on my recent JFK-HEL, you can't really talk about efficiency anymore. If service were efficient, they would have served all three courses in that 90 minutes, without any trays...
Almost 90 minutes has it been for me until orders have been taken...

Anyway on an AY6 a couple months ago due to a delay on the ground the crew used the time to take meal orders. It was 20 minutes after the seatbelt sign went off we had our trays. Ice cream wasn't rock solid either.

I wish AY would implement orders taken on the ground more consistently like the US carriers do, service would run much more efficiently.
esledo likes this.
Old May 9, 2019, 10:39 am

Programs: AY+ Plat (OWE)
Any experience of longhaul NLML meals, particularly NRT-HEL route? Or any other Japan route where the catering is from local supplier.
Not for me but inquiring on behalf of a relative.
Old May 29, 2019, 6:05 am

AY 006 JFK-HEL MAY 27 2019

Shenanigans continue with the service on AY 5/6. Cheese was now separate from the main meal tray which sort of eliminates the point of one tray service if time will be wasted waiting for cheese. The main course was one of the better ones I've received from JFK IME. During boarding I was proactively offered a refill on the PDB. ^ Catering must've screwed up the croissant sandwich as instead of egg there was two slices of apple inside it and that is not listed on the menu description. Anyone know if this is the norm?

Last edited by miamiflyer8; May 29, 2019 at 6:14 am
Old Jun 12, 2019, 6:14 am

AY 005 HEL-JFK JUN 11 2019

Crew was unmemorable except at baggage claim one FA who didn't work my aisle recognized me and said hi.

The appetizer as well as the main are among the best I've had on AY, and I am glad there are no trays on this daytime flight.

I skipped the pre-arrival meal as none of the options sounded appealing.

Old Jun 16, 2019, 2:06 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
AY5 HEL-JFK VGML today:

Old Jun 17, 2019, 5:30 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), TK Elite (*G), BT VIP, HH D, BW DS
Took AY144 recently, while I appreciate it's a midnight departure, only 3 options for the main course (1 being a soup), all quite uninspiring, and nothing "Nordic" that I've got accustomed to on AY. However, was happy to see that warm and crispy garlic bread made an appearance! Is this a standard bread item nowadays on AY LH?

Desserts seemed plentiful though. There was cheese, two kinds of cake, ice cream and the usual Fazer on offer. Didn't indulge though.

Service was above and beyond, might be my best midnight experience ever on AY, but more on that on another thread.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Talking of midnight departures, could anyone kindly tell me what food I can expect on TLV-HEL? Is the food concept similar to long haul flights or to short haul, and is it dinner on that 1.05am departure? Thanks so much in advance!
Old Jun 22, 2019, 1:25 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, TK *A Gold
Originally Posted by orbitmic
Talking of midnight departures, could anyone kindly tell me what food I can expect on TLV-HEL? Is the food concept similar to long haul flights or to short haul, and is it dinner on that 1.05am departure? Thanks so much in advance!
Last time it was a short haul breakfast that was served after the departure. Some warm muffin just before landing in the morning. A bit weird choice if I may say.
orbitmic likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 2:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Akkku
Last time it was a short haul breakfast that was served after the departure. Some warm muffin just before landing in the morning. A bit weird choice if I may say.
Many thanks! - but indeed, yikes! That's really not what I would have chosen!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.