Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Finnair Long Haul Business Class Food

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 14, 2018, 1:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: intuition
Longhaul menus are supposed to be visible in MMB, but it is often broken. At the time of publishing, this link works.
Collection of current longhaul J menus (finnair.com)
Print Wikipost

Finnair Long Haul Business Class Food

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2019, 12:50 pm

Flew HEL-ICN and ICN-HEL last week on the A350 and failed to realize that there was pre-order food options.. Aaanyway.

The food was *significantly* better flying from Helsinki compared to flying ex-ICN.. The salmon appetizer was great as mentioned, as was the nieriä on the way to Korea - I would've been completely happy with it in an upscale restaurant! The side salad was completely useless but whatever.
On the way back, it was just pretty terrible. The duck breast starter was a non-starter and followed by such a disappointment of chef's special grilled pork that it made me start drinking trough the drink menu just to get over the depression. (The fact that the internet was broken for the whole flight and I couldn't work as I had planned did also help in this.)

I actually rather liked the blueberry saison - I generally *don't* like saisons and a blueberry beer sounds like a pretty bad idea to me, so I was very positively surprised. Completely decent drinking beer.
The star of the wine list is definitely the St. Emilion Grand Cru which is just a great, fulfilling your expectations, beautiful velvety red.
I also surprised myself with how much I enjoyed the Golden Sky signature cocktail. I'm happy that they've done away with the old "cocktails" which were such a humiliating idea.
There was no fever-tree on the plane, apparently, so the Napue G&T was made to some bulk tonic. It was decent anyway.
The only thing I'm wondering, how on earth there's still no Jallu available? Luckily I always carry my own, but sheesh..
AhogZ, remymartin and kanamurva like this.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 12:45 am

Programs: AY+ Plat basic
Bringing your own jallu to A350 J: respect!
Old Mar 16, 2019, 5:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by elventhor
The salmon appetizer was great as mentioned, as was the nieriä on the way to Korea - I would've been completely happy with it in an upscale restaurant! The side salad was completely useless but whatever.

The star of the wine list is definitely the St. Emilion Grand Cru which is just a great, fulfilling your expectations, beautiful velvety red.
+ 1 on these accounts. Same route, same choices, same opinions ^

PS - I hope when you say you carry your own Jallu, you refer to the liquid version vs the printed version.
vulle, cistavoda, deissi and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 3:22 am

Originally Posted by kanamurva
Bringing your own jallu to A350 J: respect!
PS - I hope when you say you carry your own Jallu, you refer to the liquid version vs the printed version.
Weeeelll, it's kind of an art project now (Proof: https://jallu.travelmap.net/posts/ja...arkissa-6582km )
I have five 1dl plastic containers in a sealable plastic bag and an empty Jallu bottle to survive the security controls as I'm only traveling with hand luggage.. Working on a small enough travel case to bring a glass bottle with me in the future..

A humblebrag, I'm also pretty sure I'm the first person to drink Jallu in a flying shower on the Emirates A380
Old Mar 22, 2019, 2:13 pm
Ambassador: Finnair Plus
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Priority Club Plat Amb, Miles and Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by elventhor
Weeeelll, it's kind of an art project now (Proof: https://jallu.travelmap.net/posts/ja...arkissa-6582km )
I have five 1dl plastic containers in a sealable plastic bag and an empty Jallu bottle to survive the security controls as I'm only traveling with hand luggage.. Working on a small enough travel case to bring a glass bottle with me in the future..

A humblebrag, I'm also pretty sure I'm the first person to drink Jallu in a flying shower on the Emirates A380
Total respect.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 7:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Question- I'll be taking my first flight on Finnair in April- business class JFK-HEL-FRA. I'm booked through AA as a code share but have an ZY locator. When I look up my reservation on finnair's website, I can't seem to preorder my meal. Is this not possible with a codeshare ticket? Could I make a reservation by calling in? All I can do when I click "manage reservation" is see my seat assignments and add contact info- can't change them or preorder anything.

Also, unrelated to meal, is it feasible to head into Helsinki on an 8-hour layover? Never been before and am excited to give AY/Helsinki a shot.

Thanks for any advice!
Old Mar 25, 2019, 7:46 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Codeshares come with a host of problems, seat assignments and meal orders among others. If at all possible, avoid booking a codeshare.

Eight hours is plenty of time to take the train to Helsinki. On arrival from JFK, the airport will be deserted, with no lines at passport control. In the afternoon, you can use the priority security line, which is very fast. Plan to arrive at the airport 60 minutes before FRA departure and you'll be fine.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 5:03 am

Programs: AA EXP
Thanks ffay005. I'll try calling to see about meal orders. At least my seat assignments are showing correctly in Finnair's side of the system.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 6:36 am

Programs: AFKL PLT, BA Gold, SK Gold, AY Gold, A3 Silver, LH FTL, IHG Gold, Marriott Silver
Did quick NYC trip last weekend, so here are pics from the outbound AY 5.

Canape of some pate and crisp bread.

Salmon appetiser, which was fresh and nice.

Main course, beef cheek by chef Myllymäki. Meat was dry and tasteless, disappointment.

Milk ice cream tasted like...milk.

Cheeses.

Pre-arrival meal, open faced salmon sandwich.

Napue Tonic, great as always!
Old Mar 26, 2019, 6:47 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
@DALtoAAL I like how you seem to have 2 glasses of champagne available. It's actually a good idea to make sure one is always full while one is being refilled.
DALtoAAL and GeeTee77 like this.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 8:19 am

Programs: AY Platinum (OWE), SK G(*G), BW Diamond
Originally Posted by Tapio

Here is the outcome; some berries to start with (not in the picture), then some starter (chicken and vegies) and the burger as a main course. I understood it served the purpose, but was obviously quite sizeable for a smaller kid. Ice cream and chocolate cake were the options for the desert.
Removed the image, but just another data point, CS denying possibility to have burger from Y to J. What can be ordered is "childrens" meal which is likely some type of spaghetti/meatballs...very much sounding like a QR Y-kids menu based on CS's description. It would seem that "previously" this has been possible but not anymore, so I assume this is now enhanced away or does anyone have contradictory data points.
What type of magic wording you used Tapio
Old Mar 26, 2019, 10:25 am

Programs: AY+ Platinum
Originally Posted by Post Scriptum
Removed the image, but just another data point, CS denying possibility to have burger from Y to J. What can be ordered is "childrens" meal which is likely some type of spaghetti/meatballs...very much sounding like a QR Y-kids menu based on CS's description. It would seem that "previously" this has been possible but not anymore, so I assume this is now enhanced away or does anyone have contradictory data points.
What type of magic wording you used Tapio
For me it sounds that you may want to make another call to CS and try your luck again. Maybe they have enhanced the service, but in December 2018 it worked fine when I just asked possible kids meal for J and ended up for these burgers. There was actually no mention that it would be from Y meal menu.

Good luck for the next call! 👍
Old Mar 26, 2019, 12:08 pm

Programs: BA GfL

Individual plating on AY5. I highly recommend the smoked arctic char.
NoWindowSeat and Rifter like this.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 4:32 pm

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by Peregrine415
Individual plating on AY5. I highly recommend the smoked arctic char.
I'm glad they caught their senses on the plating as my AY5 a while ago it was all on one tray with the FA praising the system.
esledo likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 9:37 am

Programs: AY Platinum (OWE), SK G(*G), BW Diamond
Originally Posted by Tapio

For me it sounds that you may want to make another call to CS and try your luck again. Maybe they have enhanced the service, but in December 2018 it worked fine when I just asked possible kids meal for J and ended up for these burgers. There was actually no mention that it would be from Y meal menu.

Good luck for the next call! 👍
After 2 emails and one call in total, no luck, so it would seem that something is changed. No more burgers in LH J

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.