Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Finnair Long Haul Business Class Food

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 14, 2018, 1:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: intuition
Longhaul menus are supposed to be visible in MMB, but it is often broken. At the time of publishing, this link works.
Collection of current longhaul J menus (finnair.com)
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2018, 3:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: AY+ Plat and several other cards

We have a thread for short haul business class food, one for business light and one for what to preorder for long haul flight, and some loose posts in other threads, but no thread for normal long haul business class catering. Until now, as I think it might be usefull for non-frequent flyers of what to expect, and also to inform us regulars of changes.
NoWindowSeat, ffay005 and DALtoAAL like this.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 3:36 am
Original Poster

HEL-HKG

HEL-HKG midnight menu a couple of weeks ago

Broiled Baltic herring

Breakfast options HEL-HKG

The menu on Finnair web pages was somewhat confusing:

There was no starter, but only main course, cheese and ice cream for dessert. Remembering the time of the flight (past midnight) I think the dinner even without starter was quite fine. The herring was very tasty, and I heard the beef was good as well.

Last edited by Purjelentaja; Feb 18, 2018 at 4:08 am
Old Feb 18, 2018, 3:37 am

Programs: AY+Plat
Overcooked reindeer on recent HEL-DEL

​​​​​​​
Old Feb 18, 2018, 3:46 am

Programs: AY LUMO
Is that portion smaller than in Y ?

Anyway remember eat well before getting on board. These C meals are size of snack nowadays.
NoWindowSeat, ffay005 and royng like this.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 3:56 am

Programs: AY+Plat
Originally Posted by OH-LGG
Is that portion smaller than in Y ?

Anyway remember eat well before getting on board. These C meals are size of snack nowadays.
It was relatively small, although looked OK after eating "premium lounge dinner" which had portion size for 2 year old.
ffay005 and wkndtraveler like this.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 4:04 am
Original Poster

BKK-HEL

Lunch menu for BKK-HEL a week ago

Amuse: Smoked salmon

Starter: Scallop, prawn

Main: Beef red curry

Cheese

Desserts: ice cream and small cakes

Light meal: Pad thai

The lunch was really tasty, one of the best airline meals for quite some time, presentation was nice and food was delicious. The light meal (pad thai) was not up to level of the lunch, it was just ok as it lacked seasoning: lime and peanuts.

Between the meals the crew was busy making sure no one can even think of getting hungry or thirsty, offering small snacks and drinks all the time, service was exceptionally good. Great flight.
NoWindowSeat and haroon145 like this.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 4:17 am
Original Poster

New wine list

Wine list has been renewed, from the beginning of February. Now they have 3 white wines and 3 reds instead of previous 2 and 2, very good! The ones I tasted were very good. Hopefully we get another champagne as well to choose from.

Also signature cocktail has been changed, Blue Sky is gone and been replaced by Golden Sky. In addition to that 3 other cocktails and one mocktail are now presented, very good improvement. To my taste the new Golden Sky is too much on the sweeter side, hopefully they will bring back the Blue Sky in addtion to the new ones on the list.

One thing I miss in the menu/wine lists is food-wines pairing suggestions, as it would be much easier to find the right combination.

Old Feb 18, 2018, 5:29 am

Programs: BA Gold
Ref the midnight menu: As a non-fish eater it's a pretty limited menu of basically cold duck with blue cheese (not a fan of blue cheese) or the soup. I thought the soup was good and the smoked elk bits very tasty but last time there was such a large lump of sour cream that it was basically cold.

I'd suggest eating in the lounge pre-departure though again it's pretty fish orientated!

The Finnish Gin (can't recall the brand) and Tonic is very good.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 5:51 am
Ambassador: Finnair

Programs: AY Lumo, BA Silver, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by tinkicker
Ref the midnight menu: As a non-fish eater it's a pretty limited menu
While true, please remember that you can always pre-order something that suits your diet. Fish is usually 33/50% of the choices (for starters could be even more..) so you always limit yourself a lot if just going with the normal menu = more or less "blind" pre-order anyway..
Old Feb 18, 2018, 6:15 am
Accor 10+ BadgeFairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: Accor ALL Platinum
Thanks, Purjelentaja. This is a useful thread for frequent flyers, too.

Here is my experience from a recent flight to Hong Kong. This was an afternoon departure. Food was okay but the all-Asian crew on this flight provided excellent service, one of the best I’ve ever had on Finnair.

The dinner started with amuse-bouche. It was smoked vendace and sour cream. It was delicious.

Appetizer: Cold smoked salmon, Baltic herring, mustard herring, vendace roe and cream, roasted carrots, marinated onions, green salad with lemon olive oil, and Karelian pies. Very good.

First main course: broiled Baltic herring, mashed potatoes with lemon and dill butter. I like Baltic herring but not this one. I like it crispy. This was just soggy.

Second main course, the preordered one: overcooked reindeer was overcooked indeed. Didn't like it at all. After all the food I had consumed I was so full that I decided to skip cheese and dessert and enjoyed a glass of Calvados only.

Before landing, I opted for light breakfast and I'm glad I did. It included yoghurt, granola, fresh fruits and blueberries, croissant with blueberry jam and bread roll. In addition to instant coffee, also espresso and cappuccino were available. American breakfast with omelette and sausage was another option, Chinese noodles third one.
royng likes this.

Last edited by wkndtraveler; Feb 18, 2018 at 7:43 am
Old Feb 18, 2018, 6:16 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by NoWindowSeat
While true, please remember that you can always pre-order something that suits your diet. Fish is usually 33/50% of the choices (for starters could be even more..) so you always limit yourself a lot if just going with the normal menu = more or less "blind" pre-order anyway..
True... except it's pretty much guess work what any of the "special" meals would be (seriously without googling it..what is Low Purine?) and there is usually something I can eat on the main menu.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 6:30 am
Ambassador: Finnair

Programs: AY Lumo, BA Silver, HHonors Gold
True... except it's pretty much guess work what any of the "special" meals would be (seriously without googling it..what is Low Purine?) and there is usually something I can eat on the main menu.
Then you just go with your luck and deal with the limited options...there are many people like you who don't eat fish, meat, peanuts, this or that..airlines cannot have 7 courses just to satisfy everyone's diets and allergies, unless you fly (certain) F
Old Feb 18, 2018, 7:14 am
Ambassador: Finnair Plus
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Priority Club Plat Amb, Miles and Smiles Elite
Ref the midnight menu: As a non-fish eater it's a pretty limited menu of basically cold duck with blue cheese (not a fan of blue cheese) or the soup. I thought the soup was good and the smoked elk bits very tasty but last time there was such a large lump of sour cream that it was basically cold.

I'd suggest eating in the lounge pre-departure though again it's pretty fish orientated!

The Finnish Gin (can't recall the brand) and Tonic is very good.
Tha would be Napue: https://kyrodistillery.com/products/napue/# . And yeah, I agree, it is good.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 7:17 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), SK EBG (*A Gold), KQ Plat (STE+), Accor Plat
Love the ”salmarikossu”!
NoWindowSeat likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 7:25 am
Accor 10+ BadgeFairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: Accor ALL Platinum
A return flight from Hong Kong last week, morning departure.

If the all-Asian crew on the flight to Hong Kong was one of the best, the crew serving inbound flight to Helsinki was one of the worst, completely opposite. They were slow, indifferent, even rude. They looked tired and didn’t smile. When you asked something they sighed. Dirty tableware wasn't collected actively. After 3,5 hours I decided to take mine back to galley.

Amuse-bouche consisted of smoked duck, mozzarella and cherry tomato. Tasty. Campari orange that I ordered as an aperitif barely had any orange juice. It was very strong. A flight attendant didn’t know what this cocktail was but I had to tell the recipe. My partner asked for mimosa and the very same flight attendant hadn’t heard about it either.

Appetizer: roast beef, pickled vegetables, and potato and mustard salad. The meat was super dry. Side salad was tasty, more varied than the one served on flights departing Helsinki. Another option was cold smoked salmon and fennel.

Main course: meatballs, rosemary sauce, carrot and potato mash, pickled onions and lingonberry jam. This looked awful but it was very tasty. I could have eaten another one.

Main course: The two other options were chicken with ginger, broccoli and rice or halibut, beetroot and cabbage. My partner had chicken. This is how it looked. It was tasty.

Cheese: cheddar and camembert.

Petit fours: this was listed on a menu and when I requested it I was told by a chief of cabin they had none. I said it’s on the menu. She took my menu and started browsing pages. She said she need to check if they have it. Soon she returned with chocolate praline and cake and explained that the menu is new and that’s why she didn’t know about it. I’m not so sure she was telling the truth since the menu had created to celebrate Finland’s 100th birthday that was last year. Later I found they had wider selection of petit fours in the galley.

Digestif: espresso (listed on the menu) and calvados. When I asked for espresso the chief of cabin told first that the machine is most likely broken. I asked is it normally broken to which she replied: "Yes, in a matter of fact it is." I asked if she could check it. Then she asked if I would prefer cappuccino. ”But it’s just an instant coffee with milk,” she added. No, I wanted to have either espresso or just normal black coffee. She went to galley and returned with espresso. ”The machine wasn’t broken.” Funny. She also brought me a bottle of calvados I had ordered and asked me to open it.

Afternoon tea: a dry bread roll with cheese and ham. There were also cup noodles available.

Meal before landing: Pasta with chicken or pork patties with soya sauce. I chose pasta which was inedible: dry, chewy and it had disgusting taste. Unacceptable for business class. Fuits were good.

Last edited by wkndtraveler; Feb 18, 2018 at 7:33 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.