Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Finnair Long Haul Business Class Food

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 14, 2018, 1:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: intuition
Longhaul menus are supposed to be visible in MMB, but it is often broken. At the time of publishing, this link works.
Collection of current longhaul J menus (finnair.com)
Print Wikipost

Finnair Long Haul Business Class Food

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2019, 4:10 pm

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by GNRMatt
For the business class flights, can you ask the Flight Attendant when placing your order to leave off a sauce? I'm interested in the "Pork in black bean sauce with Chinese cabbage and steamed rice" and the "Braised beef in black bean sauce with vegetables and steamed rice" for two of my flights, but I can't eat the black bean sauce due to allergies. Do they automatically come prepared in this sauce? Or is it something the Flight Attendant adds separately when preparing the meal that they can leave off?
IME the sauce usually comes in an aluminum ramekin that the FA pours on the food. I am sure it can be accommodated if you ask onboard.
Old Sep 19, 2019, 8:54 pm

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
IME the sauce usually comes in an aluminum ramekin that the FA pours on the food. I am sure it can be accommodated if you ask onboard.
”katotaan” concept came to my mind here
remymartin, esledo, lkrt and 3 others like this.
Old Sep 20, 2019, 7:31 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by FFlash
”katotaan” concept came to my mind here
I was about to say that but OP isn't a regular to the AY forum. Will most probably be a katotaan look he'll get when he asks.
FFlash likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2019, 9:18 am

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
And what exactly is a "katotaan"?
Old Sep 20, 2019, 10:00 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Sorry for that. It is a famous joke here on AY forum about the onboard service where a FA responds to a service request in a half-disinterested manner ”let’s have a look” = literally translates to ”katotaan”

In a finnish culture ”katotaan” is a tricky expression. At best it means seriously someone is trying to accomodate a request but is unwilling to give it as a promise, but more often it means that you dont want to say ”no” to something and want to get away with it
DALtoAAL and remymartin like this.
Old Sep 20, 2019, 11:20 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Katotaan literally means let's see in Finnish. It's used commonly as a more polite way to say 'no', or 'well, I sure don't like what you're suggesting, but maybe yes'. Like, when your wife suggests that you could go shopping to Ikea next Saturday, and you don't want to go but you dare not say no. Then you say 'katotaan' and hope she gets the hint.

The use at the AY forum started when someone here had asked for a smallish favour in AY longhaul J and the FA, instead of simply agreeing or coming up with an excuse to say no, answered with a vague katotaan.

I have to say, though, that it's been a long time since I've received katotaan treatment. For instance, on my BKK-HEL this week, I first asked to be served lunch later since I had had a substantial breakfast in the QR lounge just prior to take-off. The menu suggests that this is possible, and indeed they replied with a smile and a "let us know when you're hungry".

For the prearrival meal, I was being difficult again: the only warm option was Thay curry, and spicy food really isn't my thing. The J cabin was fairly empty with 20 of 32 seats taken (Y had about 100 pax of 300), and I asked nicely if it would be possible to have a main course from the first service, whatever they might have left. I thought this would be a reasonable request since they'll probably throw away any leftovers once the plane lands in HEL. And again, they replied with a smile, asked for my preference and checked what they had left. Costs no one nothing but made a world of difference to me. ^
Purjelentaja and kanamurva like this.
Old Sep 20, 2019, 11:33 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
And about your initial question: It appears that some sauces are indeed in a disposable ramekin that the FA pours on the plate before serving, but this is not guaranteed. They're more accommodating towards AY Plats than others, but if you get a good crew, you could try to explain in a way that's a bit apologetic that you'd love dish X, but can't eat the sauce because of your allergy and ask nicely if the sauce comes in a separate ramekin that could be left out. Chances are that if you're nice about it, they'll be nice, too.

I wouldn't take the chance of preordering, though, in case they can't accommodate your request.
Old Sep 22, 2019, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Garlic bread is back! The FA said it's been around for a few months now ("in this menu cycle") but this is the first time I've seen it for a looong time on AY142.
mhle, SPBanker, intuition and 1 others like this.
Old Sep 22, 2019, 11:37 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), SK EBG (*A Gold), KQ Plat (STE+), Accor Plat
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
Garlic bread is back! The FA said it's been around for a few months now ("in this menu cycle") but this is the first time I've seen it for a looong time on AY142.
On ex-BKK catering I think I witnessed it in December. But it's still not back ex-HEL, I think?
Old Sep 22, 2019, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
I don't know, outbound I was already asleep when they came around with the wet towels
Old Sep 22, 2019, 12:06 pm

Programs: AY Gold (OWS) TK Elite (*G)

Had it on ay142 too last week. It was a very positive surprise
Old Sep 23, 2019, 1:48 am

Programs: AY Plat Lumo, LX SEN, Marriott Titanium
I've had it twice now and both times it was a huge disappointment. It was mushy and didn't taste fresh at all. I really hope that was just bad luck on my part and the next time it will be better.
Old Sep 23, 2019, 1:50 am

Programs: ex-UA 1K, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
For the business class flights, can you ask the Flight Attendant when placing your order to leave off a sauce? I'm interested in the "Pork in black bean sauce with Chinese cabbage and steamed rice" and the "Braised beef in black bean sauce with vegetables and steamed rice" for two of my flights, but I can't eat the black bean sauce due to allergies. Do they automatically come prepared in this sauce? Or is it something the Flight Attendant adds separately when preparing the meal that they can leave off?
I asked the flight attendant today which meal option she would recommend and she said they're all decent except for the pork in black bean sauce.
Old Sep 23, 2019, 2:11 am

Programs: AY Platinum Lumo, LX Senator, SK Life-time Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Still need the soup as a starter option, to go with the garlic bread and everything is good again.
ffay005 and cistavoda like this.
Old Sep 23, 2019, 6:11 am

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by triplefives
I asked the flight attendant today which meal option she would recommend and she said they're all decent except for the pork in black bean sauce.
I ended up switching this to the Reindeer option...hopefully that'll be halfway decent.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.