Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Finnair Long Haul Business Class Food

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 14, 2018, 1:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: intuition
Longhaul menus are supposed to be visible in MMB, but it is often broken. At the time of publishing, this link works.
Collection of current longhaul J menus (finnair.com)
Print Wikipost

Finnair Long Haul Business Class Food

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2019, 6:36 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
I don't think anyone will want to behead you for demanding a coherent, consistent longhaul J product. That's what we all wish for. This "lomanoloinen" stuff has been going on for ages. The first post in this topic has the situation covered some years ago: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/finn...nesslight.html

There seems to be some improvements, as there now is a real appetizer (though only the size of Euro J and not longhaul J). On the other hand, prices are regular J prices nowadays, too. Only checked MIA, but I didn't find anything ex-HEL below €2000, as used to be the case.

I believe AY is shooting themselves in the foot with this one. I might partially understand the reasoning behind "okay, NRT/PVG people are important, let's make good J service, but MIA/HKT people are Finnish and Russian holidaymakers, let's save some pennies", but this leads to inconsistency and unnecessary badwill. If they need a low-cost J cabin for those cheap AM upgraders, then assign the minicabin to them and save pennies there, but if you're selling +€3000 tickets and reduce catering, that's a big no-no.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 7:12 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
I doubt yoy'll be beheaded for this. Fans of 1-tray is scarce and most people here flying premium xabin actually thinks service should be premium,
And if not, then nake room in your cave for ne too!
Old Feb 24, 2019, 8:07 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Originally Posted by ffay005
I don't think anyone will want to behead you for demanding a coherent, consistent longhaul J product. That's what we all wish for. This "lomanoloinen" stuff has been going on for ages. The first post in this topic has the situation covered some years ago: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/finn...nesslight.html

There seems to be some improvements, as there now is a real appetizer (though only the size of Euro J and not longhaul J). On the other hand, prices are regular J prices nowadays, too. Only checked MIA, but I didn't find anything ex-HEL below €2000, as used to be the case.

I believe AY is shooting themselves in the foot with this one. I might partially understand the reasoning behind "okay, NRT/PVG people are important, let's make good J service, but MIA/HKT people are Finnish and Russian holidaymakers, let's save some pennies", but this leads to inconsistency and unnecessary badwill. If they need a low-cost J cabin for those cheap AM upgraders, then assign the minicabin to them and save pennies there, but if you're selling +€3000 tickets and reduce catering, that's a big no-no.
This.
I kind of understand this ”viinaa menee paljon” (flyertalkers here who?) but I sympattize them a bit on ”örveltäjiä on liikaa” (not all heavydrinkers are pigs). That is not an excuse - and it would be so finnish od them to think saving on service due to Örvellys-routes
Purjelentaja likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 10:58 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
One does wonder why they keep on adding more and more of these "leisure" routes when they think so little of the passengers that chose to fly on AY on these routes.

One would like AY management to make up their mind. Are they running a scheduled airline service or a holiday charter bus operations?
Purjelentaja likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 11:12 am

Programs: AY LUMO
Originally Posted by intuition
One does wonder why they keep on adding more and more of these "leisure" routes when they think so little of the passengers that chose to fly on AY on these routes.
Not adding. GOI just axed for next winter.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 11:15 am

One would like AY management to make up their mind. Are they running a scheduled airline service or a holiday charter bus operations?
As far as I'm concerned, I'm happy with both-and instead of either-or, but it needs to be clearly marketed.

Make a clear division between regular longhaul flights and "leisure longhaul". Price LLH differently and market it differently. €1500 return. "On our leisure longhaul routes, we offer a highly comfortable Premium Economy cabin, where you enjoy the comforts of a lie-flat seat and tasty meals, bla bla."

DXB is a good example: the J meal service is nothing fancy, but still good and way better than Y. Copy that concept for LLH flights and it will be just fine, as long as you don't call it Business Class.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 11:18 am

Originally Posted by OH-LGG
And PUJ "new" destination.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 11:19 am

And PUJ "new" destination.
And PVR axed.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 11:25 am

And PVR axed.
2–1 for OH-LGG
Old Feb 24, 2019, 11:44 am
Moderator, Finnair

Hasn't the number of routes with 1-tray service increased, or am I misled in that notion?
(ie not just talking new leisure dest but "normal" routes started skimping)
Old Feb 24, 2019, 11:51 am

I dont know.

I dont know and I dont care about trays.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 11:53 am
Moderator, Finnair

As far as I'm concerned, I'm happy with both-and instead of either-or, but it needs to be clearly marketed.

Make a clear division between regular longhaul flights and "leisure longhaul". Price LLH differently and market it differently. €1500 return. "On our leisure longhaul routes, we offer a highly comfortable Premium Economy cabin, where you enjoy the comforts of a lie-flat seat and tasty meals, bla bla."

DXB is a good example: the J meal service is nothing fancy, but still good and way better than Y. Copy that concept for LLH flights and it will be just fine, as long as you don't call it Business Class.
Perhaps technically, but I don't think they would ever say no to regular priced J tickets. I think it is likely that even if they did this split, they would still publish J fares and sell through some channels.

Brand managers have told me one thing - your brand can only be one thing. If you try to make it more things, then it becomes nothing.

So if they let Norra run the Low Quality longhauls it might work, but as long as they are selling LQ LH as regular scheduled Finnair flights they are hurting the brand.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 11:55 am
Moderator, Finnair

I dont know.

I dont know and I dont care about trays.
Drinks don't come on a tray anyway!
Old Feb 24, 2019, 12:54 pm

Programs: AY ex-Lumo, TK Elite, BT VIP, ITA Executive
Drinks don't come on a tray anyway!
I dare to disagree. Once I had put on tray everything that fit there. One of the speedy midnight services that took about as long as a relaxed course by course service on any other flight.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 2:25 pm
Moderator, Finnair

I stand corrected! Maybe the one-tray service takes a long time, because the balancing act to bring out that jam-packed tray on a moving plane!

But maybe they should skip the food altogether and make 1-tray service a tray full of drinks.
Ed Size, remymartin and on22cz like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.