Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Finnair Plus will get ”fantastic new improvements”

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Finnair Plus will get ”fantastic new improvements”

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2018, 1:19 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by OH-LGG
Roger that . When we start?
I'd love to spend som time in your office in the air, you just need to hire me first!

With 141 segments missing, you will find me to be a very dedicated worker!
ffay005 and LoungeEnthusiast like this.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 2:53 pm

Programs: AY GOLD, HH GOLD
Been away from the forum on the weekend because of my newborn (NO I'm not Sauli ) so just caught up with the new Lumo tier.

Coming from AA EXP to AY last year this New Lumo isn't appealing at all. Lacking so much compared to AA EXP (not to mention CK, ofc invitation only).

As many have said, the least they should have done for Lumo would have been complimentary EU upgrades (could call them 800-kilsa korotukset).

Just my 2 cents
Old Feb 4, 2018, 8:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Did a beer-mat calculation of doing Lumo the cheapest way possible (pointwise), ie ~350k on AY and exchange the rest.

For a current Plat, going for Lumo: 9x return longhaul C = 360k TP and exchange 270k points to make up the rest, with a net haul of 380k points, 8sh, 4 lh vouchers + 2 Gold cards (and again at the beginning of next year, sans points)

Comfortably doable, but would cost close to 30k€ ex-HEL (3k seems to be rather ususal for ex-HEL longahul C ) . Ex-EU it's only 7x longhaul C and probably doable for sub 15k€. One trip every other month.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 2:08 am

I'm flying basically every week but due to company policy only in economy. My flights are all over the world, a lot of European flights as well maybe once a month to Asia or US. I will reach about 400000 points before end of June 2018 when my collection period ends.

I was expecting a lot more from this top tier FF category and I don't see the offered benefits as valuable as they should be.

-sulkkis
Old Feb 5, 2018, 11:59 am

Programs: Finnair plat
If you fly C from JFK to Asia you can do in 5 trips = 400 point

Trips from JFK to Asia in C cost in july about 3.000 $ for each trip, which is around 12.000 € in total :-)
Not that I'm going for LUMO, but it's good to know, that you can earn 100.000 points for a upgrade t/r to US (value) and a C trip to Asia!!

And close renew plat if you go to Sydney
Old Feb 5, 2018, 12:36 pm

My problem is that I do this for business and I seldom have the opportunity to purchase the tickets in time to get any reasonably priced tickets nor to optimize my flight pattern. This morning I had no idea that I'll be on my way to Sweden right now. Also being a Finn does not help as the tickets off Helsinki are crazy high if you compare to flying from Europe. Even flying to Sydney and back does not bring you more than about 35.000 points in economy.

To reach 450.000 points you need to spend a lot of time at airport and plane if only flying in economy. With my miles I have enough vouchers and points to be upgraded whenever they have seats available especially on LH. Therefore I would have expected something else than a couple of vouchers you will anywway struggle to use.

For those who fly LH maybe once a month in business these perks are useless... though this is my opinion and everybody has their own.

-sulkkis
Clydez likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by sulkkis
My problem is that I do this for business and I seldom have the opportunity to purchase the tickets in time to get any reasonably priced tickets nor to optimize my flight pattern. This morning I had no idea that I'll be on my way to Sweden right now. Also being a Finn does not help as the tickets off Helsinki are crazy high if you compare to flying from Europe. Even flying to Sydney and back does not bring you more than about 35.000 points in economy.

To reach 450.000 points you need to spend a lot of time at airport and plane if only flying in economy. With my miles I have enough vouchers and points to be upgraded whenever they have seats available especially on LH. Therefore I would have expected something else than a couple of vouchers you will anywway struggle to use.

For those who fly LH maybe once a month in business these perks are useless... though this is my opinion and everybody has their own.
I've pretty much same situation as you. If finnair would go €-based, I would do quite fine due to those 900e MXP/FCO/etc and Y-class NRT/ICN/PVG returns in economy :)

For me Lumo is out of reach, unless I brea^H^H^H^Hchange my principles and start doing MRs.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 1:01 pm
Ambassador: Finnair

Programs: AY Lumo, BA Silver, HHonors Gold
I see Lumo more as an exclusive club for those few AY Plus members who fly a lot paid LH J and trying to keep Lumos booking AY when possible. It can be reached by other means too but not targeted at people who fly Y as per company policy. Rewards are also more to make private/family travel more pleasant for the club members.
ffay005 likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 1:32 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
One good old truth is "it's not for everyone", which helps us realise something can be good even if it doesn't fit oneself. When it comes to Lumo the saying goes "it's for almost no one".

Finnair wanted a club for their top-100 and if you aren't in it, it wasn't meant for you. At least, that is my philosophy now.

Sometimes we are better off just staying in the relaxation-grotto...

(Niles: -This is only heaven for those who can't get into the real heaven, the platinum heaven!!)
NoWindowSeat, ffay005 and SPBanker like this.

Last edited by intuition; Feb 5, 2018 at 2:03 pm
Old Feb 5, 2018, 6:05 pm

My point is that if they will set a tier like this they should offer something what makes the life at airport more convenient and given the small number of members on this tier this could well be something like reserved seating at lounges (with name, they must see from their famous IT system if one of the most important customers is on the move...), guaranteed seat always on Finnair flights regardless when booked, complimentary/automatic upgrade always when seats available, possibility to leave hand luggage to flight attendants when boarding, private taxi pick-up from nearest city to apt if business ticket, annual event for the members like they held when this new tier was introduced etc...

I gave up my SK*D two years ago and concentrated all my flights on OW, but in this new situation I'm considering to share my flights again between SA and OW. I really miss Turkish lounge in Istanbul which is way better than any OW lounge where I've been.

I'm not that far of this new tier but I will not exchange any points to reach new tier...

-sulkkis
Old Feb 5, 2018, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Those who attended the intro party reported back that there will be more perk phased in during the coming months, so let's see how it goes.

I don't know if it's due to Lumo or not, but all my waitlisted upgrades cleared within a week.
NoWindowSeat and Steve_Hun like this.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 10:05 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Some "SAS Lumo" experiences: Life after Pandion Sounds very much like Lumo. He also mentions free same day flight changes, so if Pandion was AY's baseline, then maybe that is to be expected.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 10:48 pm

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), TK Elite (*G), BT VIP, HH D, BW DS
Real "Enhancements" on the way?

I just stumbled across something, when looking at LH tickets from an European outport, which would indicate that the enhancements are coming as well; one of them here. Looking at the screenshot, the business campaign bucket is indicated to earn only 150%. However, neither the origin or the destination have any sales currently ongoing (I'm looking for tickets for summer 2018). The conspiracy theorist in me came up with the conclusion that this enhancement will be implemented before the next business class sales, and that's why I haven't come across any J campaigns from any of the outports for a almost a few months.

Also, as you can see in the screenshot below, all the business sub-classes are now down to 2 checked bags. Doesn't affect me personally at all, but an enhancement nonetheless if it happens.

As a side note, I also hate the way they express the changes permitted for a fee. Why do I have to dig some fare rules to find out, just communicate it outright.

Last edited by SuloL; Feb 5, 2018 at 11:18 pm Reason: Spelling Error!
Old Feb 5, 2018, 11:09 pm

Programs: AY+, SK EB
Originally Posted by SuloL
I just stumbled across something, when looking at LH tickets from an European outport, which would indicate that the enhancements are coming as well; one of them here. Looking at the screenshot, the business campaign bucket is indicated to earn only 150%. However, neither the origin or the destination have any sales currently ongoing (I'm looking for tickets for summer 2018). The conspiracy theorist in me came up with the conclusion that this enhancement will be implemented before the next business class sales, and that's why I haven't come across any J campaigns from any of the outports for a almost a few months.

Also, as you can see in the screenshot below, all the business sub-classes are now down to 2 checked bags. Doesn't affect me personally at all, but an enhancement nonetheless if it happens.
I think that popped up already around 2 years ago. While it can happen that there are changes there is with that history in mind a good chance that it is a bug. Maybe someone else remembers where/when that was mentioned in the forum.

As a side note, I also hate the way they express the changes permitted for a free. Why do I have to dig some fare rules to find out, just communicate it outright.
I like the highlighted one.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 11:18 pm

Programs: AY+, SK EB
Originally Posted by Jainzar
I think that popped up already around 2 years ago. While it can happen that there are changes there is with that history in mind a good chance that it is a bug.
I tried it and that is what I see: 200% in Business Campaign. I'm not sure if the 2 priority bags are correct, I see 4 bags plus sport equipment in the app for a campaign booking.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.