Old Nov 4, 2015, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: OH-LGG
Finnair (AY) company website dedicated for A350 fleet can be found HERE
!!
bold= new cabin

!!

A350 Deliveries
OH-LWA (msn 18) delivered 7th Oct 2015 is the first Finnair A350 and started long-haul operations as AY57 to PVG on 21st Nov 2015.
OH-LWB (msn 19) was delivered 14th Dec 2015, started long-haul operations as AY89 to BKK on 19th Dec 2015.
OH-LWC (msn 20) was delivered 31st Dec 2015, started long-haul operations as AY89 to BKK on 3rd Jan 2016.
OH-LWD (msn 22) was delivered 25th Mar 2016, started long-haul operations as AY89 to BKK on 28th Mar 2016.
OH-LWE (msn 23) was delivered 29th Apr 2016, started long-haul operations as AY89 to BKK on 1st May 2016
OH-LWF (msn 28) was delivered 25th Jun 2016, started long-haul operations as AY89 to BKK on 27th Jun 2016
OH-LWG (msn 51) was delivered 29th Sep 2016, started long-haul operations as AY89 to BKK on 30th Sep 2016
OH-LWH (msn 97) was delivered 04th Apr 2017, started long-haul operations as AY89 to BKK on 5th Apr 2017
OH-LWI (msn 104) was delivered 02nd Jun 2017, started long-haul operations as AY89 to BKK on 5th Jun 2017
OH-LWK (msn 113) was delivered 30th Jun 2017, started long-haul operations as AY89 to BKK on 3rd Jul 2017
OH-LWL (msn 134) was delivered on 22th Sep 2017, started as AY 831 to LHR on 27th Sep 2017 and started longhauls on 29th Sep 2017 as AY89 to BKK.
OH-LWM (msn 264) was delivered on 13th Dec 2018, started long-haul operations as AY73 to NRT on 19th Dec 2018
OH-LWN (msn 273) was delivered on 13th Feb 2019, started long-haul operations as AY73 to NRT on 16th Feb 2019
OH-LWO (msn 300) was delivered on 26th Apr 2019, started long haul operations as AY141 to BKK on 29th Apr 2019
OH-LWP (msn 392) was delivered on 10th Feb 2020, started long haul operations as AY141 to BKK on 13th Feb 2020
OH-LWR (msn 410) was delivered on 1st Sep 2020, started long haul operations as AY141 to BKK on 8th Sep 2020
OH-LWS (msn 516) was delivered on 29th Dec 2021, started long haul operations as AY87 to PVG (cargo only) on 24th Jan 2022, first pax service on 28th Feb 2022 as AY9

Seating
2 different configurations exists.
J/46 Y/251: Features 2 J cabins. First 8 birds and 12th(LWA-LWH, LWM) has this config
J/32 Y/304: The minicabin is removed and replaced with Y seating. Babycots in 1L and 41L. Birds 9-11, 13, 15 (LWI-LWL, LWN, LWP) has this config, a.k.a. marsuhäkki config.

Complete seatmap and layout of config 1 can be found HERE and config 2 is here.

Business Class features Zodiac Cirrus III full-flat bed seats in a 1-2-1 abreast config, all seats with direct access to the aisle. Config1 has two business class cabins, row1-8 and 9-12, while config2 only has one (row 1-8). Early reviews has preferred front cabin over minicabin, and for best window seat, row 2 or 1 may be preferable, row 1 for aisle seats.

As operations of A350 has matured, it has become practice to set the snack-bar on top of the cupboard in front of row 1, making row 1 experience a lot of foot traffic and noise.
Config2 also suffers from low toilet/pax quota (2 toilets / 32 pax) as the aft toilets has been assigned to the high density Y cabin, further contributing to high foot traffic in the front of the cabin. For these reasons, a seat further to the back may be preferable. However, all service start in the front and it will usually take a long time to get your meal in row 8.

For couples travelling together there is no clear choice. DH-seats are tilted towards each-other, but you still will not see the other person without leaning forwards. Seat across aisles (AD and HL respectively) has no barriers between them, but are tilted the wrong way and rows are also slightly misaligned.

Economy Comfort on A350 has the exact same seats as in economy, but with ≈4" inches more legroom. They also come with noise cancelling headphones, 1h internet, priority boarding and a small amenity kit.
Finnair platinums and OWE members can select these seats for free. (OWE must call to do so). Other passengers can select comfort seats for a fee, and seats are also sold after boarding.
On config1 comfort is row 21-25, while on config 2 comfort is row 21-24 + 25ABC and 25JKL. Row 21 is bulkhead and has slightly more space, as no seat reclines into the space. None of the configs has that super-space found on some retrofitted A330 though.

On config1 21AC and 21JL are the only paired seats making them preferable, but if you want to have IFE screen in the seat in front of you, pick row 22. On config2 all seats are in groups of 3, and it is also recommended to stay away from row 21 entirely, as it is entangled with the toilets.

In terms of space there are no seats in comfort cabin on either config that beats exit row 41A/C/J/L or 42A/L.

Economy Class features 3-3-3 abreast slimline seating with 32" pitch. The best seats are row 41 with most legroom on A/C/J/L (but they lack window), and row 42 A/L.
These are either labled "extra legroom" or "exit row" and are selectable with status or for a fee.
Economy cabin offers USB for charge - no AC outlets.

In-Flight Entertainment

IFE system is upgraded. Bigger screens, wider selection of movies and music, route mapper and control options. You can watch a movie from start to landing. You will have Bose noise-cancelling earphones in business class and in Economy comfort, and earplugs in economy class.
Wifi: you will see a code (in business class) in the screen when you open the IFE and select language. In economy class, you need to ask cabin crew for a voucher code if you are OWS/OWE, otherwise it costs you 7,95€ per hour, 11,95€ per three hours or 19,95€ for the whole flight. It may take some time until up in the air to get it started. Log in is required, once you have created an account and password, the system will recognize you next time.

Quality issues and early refurbishment
The seats in business class have had many quality issues from day one. Apart from some inherent problems with the seat design, there are also malfunctions and abnormal wear.
As every row has slightly different pitch, fittings and trimmings have had to de adopted manually. Apart from causing delays in delivery, this also has led to many things in the cabin tend to come loose, to squeak and to break.

In june 2017 it was announced that Airbus has accepted responsibility for the quality issues and will replace every seat on every plane delivered until that point in time (9 birds).
The refurbish will take place during the first round of major maintenance round, scheduled to start later this year.

There is no information if there will be any changes made at the same time (addressing complaints about cramped seats and missing stowage space for example), but most likely this is treated as a warranty action and so cabin will be equipped with the exact same seats and layout, albeit with a newer batch of seats.

More details and discussion:
FAM (Familiarization) flights were ongoing within European destinations until the first A350 aircraft was put on regular long-haul service on 21st November 2015. Here is a list of FAM flights quoted by a FT'er.
The "famous" introduction list with initial experiences can be found in THIS thread
Discussion about the first long-haul services and experiences can be found in another THREAD

Links to many trip reports can be found in https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/finn...ion-links.html.

Print Wikipost

Finnair A350 XWB master thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2016, 2:04 am

Programs: AY Gold
Stock Exchange Release 30 December 2015:

"..Finnair will sell an old A340 wide-body aircraft for part-out in the first half of 2016."

http://www.finnairgroup.com/mediaen/...l_2075978.html
Old Mar 18, 2016, 3:39 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by exs2
They should have just copied QR product, changed some colors and called it a day.
The QR J in the A359 is a hopeless waste of space.
Old Mar 18, 2016, 3:47 am

Programs: AY, M&M, BAEC ...and don t care of status anymore
Originally Posted by oliver2002
The QR J in the A359 is a hopeless waste of space.
Isn t it this was premium travel is about?
Old Mar 18, 2016, 4:26 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Not really. If airlines can keep production costs of premium travel down by making good use of available aircraft real estate, more power to them. QR stuck their 788 product in the 359 with a bit of a different angle and made this wide open bar/magazine area which only wows you when you enter and has no other purpose inflight.

Why AY went for the Zodiac Cirrus III is beyond me. I don't like it one bit.
Old Mar 18, 2016, 2:39 pm

Programs: AY LUMO
Now 359 is causing problems on HKG route:

AY69 ETD 0800
Old Mar 18, 2016, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Why AY went for the Zodiac Cirrus III is beyond me. I don't like it one bit.

Sorry if you answered this previously, but do you not like the version of the Zodiac Cirrus III on just AY's A359s, or on any airline?
Old Mar 19, 2016, 1:43 am

Any airline.
Old Mar 19, 2016, 8:29 am

Programs: BA
Currently waiting for AY089 to Bangkok, its "gone technical", but they are loading it and flight crew is visible in cockpit from lounge - next update at 1700 (original departure time). We were due to have an A350 from LHR - HEL, but had an A340. Service was very good, and am looking forward to the A350 - hoping we get to fly it of course

Ps. we are due to fly LWB

Last edited by tomgone; Mar 19, 2016 at 8:30 am Reason: Added Ps.
Old Mar 19, 2016, 12:02 pm

Programs: Finnair Plus Gold(OWS), IHG Gold(Plat Ambassador soon maybe), Accor Platinum, Hilton HHonors Diamond
After two business flights I can say that sleeping position indeed feels pretty cramped even when I'm only 174 cm and not that buff at all (no point of comparison to other seats as no experience). Heard last flight tall guy complaining about the seat saying he doesn't like it at all. Flight attendants could't really say more than that they are really sorry to hear that...

Also the heat has been too high as I haven't been able to sleep without getting too hot/sweaty (alcohol might also have something to do it...). Luckily sleeping on business is not too high on my list of things to do.

Service has been generally good (not including couple of missed drink orders). I would hope they could also give soda water from can which has good amount of acids (CO2) left and not always from stale plastic bottle. Also would like to drink some lemon/lime juice for some good amounts of vitamin C (hinders damage done by drinking/flying).

Preorder reindeer was totally horrible, dry, impermeable by the utensils and tasteless. Never again.

Bad points about the service: denied entry to toiled when the plane was still safely on the gates about to start its rollway to the take off. Sure it's better to go take a quick leak now than during take off? (especially after drinking good amount of alcohol) Luckily I did go couple of minutes later saying takes only a minute. After that the plane still spent good 5-10 mins without moving.

Loved the late servings of "endless" desserts (especially fruits) that you could grab by yourself by the first seats. Somehow I missed these on my first flight or they weren't available.

Last edited by Ramitran; Mar 19, 2016 at 12:08 pm
Old Mar 19, 2016, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by OH-LGG
Now 359 is causing problems on HKG route:

AY69 ETD 0800
Friday 18.3.2016
23:40 Hong Kong AY069
Departed 08:51

Now THAT seriously sucks. I often have 2-3 hrs connections in HKG, usually on separate tix - so far all played out well, but such delays would make the whole trip probably useless.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 8:54 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Is there any update when new A350 (OH-LWD, OH-LWE ...) will finally be delivered?
I am planing a family longhaul trip with AY in May (to CAN). AY won't get our business, if it lacks longhaul planes (and canx our flights, albeit to CAN its an A330-300, but if AY is short in aircraft, they may canx CAN and deploy the A330 to PEK).
Old Mar 21, 2016, 11:46 am

Programs: AY Platinum Lumo (LTG) OW Emerald, SPG Platinum (LTG), UA Silver
According to this list two new birds might be delivered this month (one tomorrow).

https://sites.google.com/site/a350xw...roduction-list

22 OH-LWD A350-941 Finnair Production testing - CAF AY #4 Delivery Ctr. 04/12/2015 03/2016 TAC: 22/03/2016

23 OH-LWE A350-941 Finnair Production testing AY #5 Flightline 07/01/2016 03/2016

This list seems often quite accurate.
Old Mar 23, 2016, 7:01 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
ccording to this list two new birds might be delivered this month (one tomorrow).

22 OH-LWD A350-941 Finnair Production testing - CAF AY #4 Delivery Ctr. 04/12/2015 03/2016 TAC: 22/03/2016
Well, if the OH-LWD was delivered on on March 22 (so, yesterday), why is it still stitting TLS at the moment?
Old Mar 23, 2016, 7:21 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
TAC = 'Technical Acceptance Customer'
If that note is correct, it seems the delivery wasn't accepted. Or something else. Anyone's guess is as good as another's. Neither Airbus nor Finnair is likely to talk about delivery dates publicly at this point, so I guess they will be delivered when they will be delivered.
Old Mar 24, 2016, 9:07 pm

Programs: AY Platinum
There's a lot of hyperbole and wishful thinking on this forum, but after flying HEL-PVG in 8L today I am quite seriously of the opinion that the A350 business class seat is unacceptable.

Sleeping is not even the main problem. It was completely impossible to find a comfortable way to *sit*.

• The floor has a step exactly where you'd want to place your feet when sitting up. Place them in front of it and they're uncomfortably close. Behind it and they're too far.
  • If you decide to raise your legs instead, the stationary shelf is no replacement for the A330's proper calf support. It has multiple problems:
    • A simple shelf like this will place excess pressure on the heels. My ankles actually became sore during the flight. The A330's calf support ends before the heel.
    • Since the shelf doesn't angle itself with the seat, your legs are always pointing straight ahead. For most seat positions, this does not result in a natural angle for your hips and lower back.
    • It offers so little help with horizontal forces that you will actually slide forward in the seat, making your back's position even more awkward.
    • If you move the seat forward to make the gap smaller, you will very quickly end up with your outer foot pressing against the wall.
  • The armrest is so short that your arm won't fit on it, yet it's constantly pushing into you. Why is this part even installed?

Without sarcasm, I may end up feeling better flying economy comfort on the way back, because at least I'll be able to simply place my legs on the floor in a natural position without obstructions.

Just last month I flew SGN-HEL, one of Finnair's longest A330 flights, and felt supremely comfortable for 12 hours. After this 8 hour A350 flight, I was repositioning myself constantly and couldn't wait to get up.

That's right, I was sitting in a business class seat and couldn't wait to get up. This is not good.

Last edited by heatsink; Mar 25, 2016 at 1:51 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.