Old Nov 4, 2015, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: OH-LGG
Finnair (AY) company website dedicated for A350 fleet can be found HERE
!!
bold= new cabin

!!

A350 Deliveries
OH-LWA (msn 18) delivered 7th Oct 2015 is the first Finnair A350 and started long-haul operations as AY57 to PVG on 21st Nov 2015.
OH-LWB (msn 19) was delivered 14th Dec 2015, started long-haul operations as AY89 to BKK on 19th Dec 2015.
OH-LWC (msn 20) was delivered 31st Dec 2015, started long-haul operations as AY89 to BKK on 3rd Jan 2016.
OH-LWD (msn 22) was delivered 25th Mar 2016, started long-haul operations as AY89 to BKK on 28th Mar 2016.
OH-LWE (msn 23) was delivered 29th Apr 2016, started long-haul operations as AY89 to BKK on 1st May 2016
OH-LWF (msn 28) was delivered 25th Jun 2016, started long-haul operations as AY89 to BKK on 27th Jun 2016
OH-LWG (msn 51) was delivered 29th Sep 2016, started long-haul operations as AY89 to BKK on 30th Sep 2016
OH-LWH (msn 97) was delivered 04th Apr 2017, started long-haul operations as AY89 to BKK on 5th Apr 2017
OH-LWI (msn 104) was delivered 02nd Jun 2017, started long-haul operations as AY89 to BKK on 5th Jun 2017
OH-LWK (msn 113) was delivered 30th Jun 2017, started long-haul operations as AY89 to BKK on 3rd Jul 2017
OH-LWL (msn 134) was delivered on 22th Sep 2017, started as AY 831 to LHR on 27th Sep 2017 and started longhauls on 29th Sep 2017 as AY89 to BKK.
OH-LWM (msn 264) was delivered on 13th Dec 2018, started long-haul operations as AY73 to NRT on 19th Dec 2018
OH-LWN (msn 273) was delivered on 13th Feb 2019, started long-haul operations as AY73 to NRT on 16th Feb 2019
OH-LWO (msn 300) was delivered on 26th Apr 2019, started long haul operations as AY141 to BKK on 29th Apr 2019
OH-LWP (msn 392) was delivered on 10th Feb 2020, started long haul operations as AY141 to BKK on 13th Feb 2020
OH-LWR (msn 410) was delivered on 1st Sep 2020, started long haul operations as AY141 to BKK on 8th Sep 2020
OH-LWS (msn 516) was delivered on 29th Dec 2021, started long haul operations as AY87 to PVG (cargo only) on 24th Jan 2022, first pax service on 28th Feb 2022 as AY9

Seating
2 different configurations exists.
J/46 Y/251: Features 2 J cabins. First 8 birds and 12th(LWA-LWH, LWM) has this config
J/32 Y/304: The minicabin is removed and replaced with Y seating. Babycots in 1L and 41L. Birds 9-11, 13, 15 (LWI-LWL, LWN, LWP) has this config, a.k.a. marsuhäkki config.

Complete seatmap and layout of config 1 can be found HERE and config 2 is here.

Business Class features Zodiac Cirrus III full-flat bed seats in a 1-2-1 abreast config, all seats with direct access to the aisle. Config1 has two business class cabins, row1-8 and 9-12, while config2 only has one (row 1-8). Early reviews has preferred front cabin over minicabin, and for best window seat, row 2 or 1 may be preferable, row 1 for aisle seats.

As operations of A350 has matured, it has become practice to set the snack-bar on top of the cupboard in front of row 1, making row 1 experience a lot of foot traffic and noise.
Config2 also suffers from low toilet/pax quota (2 toilets / 32 pax) as the aft toilets has been assigned to the high density Y cabin, further contributing to high foot traffic in the front of the cabin. For these reasons, a seat further to the back may be preferable. However, all service start in the front and it will usually take a long time to get your meal in row 8.

For couples travelling together there is no clear choice. DH-seats are tilted towards each-other, but you still will not see the other person without leaning forwards. Seat across aisles (AD and HL respectively) has no barriers between them, but are tilted the wrong way and rows are also slightly misaligned.

Economy Comfort on A350 has the exact same seats as in economy, but with ≈4" inches more legroom. They also come with noise cancelling headphones, 1h internet, priority boarding and a small amenity kit.
Finnair platinums and OWE members can select these seats for free. (OWE must call to do so). Other passengers can select comfort seats for a fee, and seats are also sold after boarding.
On config1 comfort is row 21-25, while on config 2 comfort is row 21-24 + 25ABC and 25JKL. Row 21 is bulkhead and has slightly more space, as no seat reclines into the space. None of the configs has that super-space found on some retrofitted A330 though.

On config1 21AC and 21JL are the only paired seats making them preferable, but if you want to have IFE screen in the seat in front of you, pick row 22. On config2 all seats are in groups of 3, and it is also recommended to stay away from row 21 entirely, as it is entangled with the toilets.

In terms of space there are no seats in comfort cabin on either config that beats exit row 41A/C/J/L or 42A/L.

Economy Class features 3-3-3 abreast slimline seating with 32" pitch. The best seats are row 41 with most legroom on A/C/J/L (but they lack window), and row 42 A/L.
These are either labled "extra legroom" or "exit row" and are selectable with status or for a fee.
Economy cabin offers USB for charge - no AC outlets.

In-Flight Entertainment

IFE system is upgraded. Bigger screens, wider selection of movies and music, route mapper and control options. You can watch a movie from start to landing. You will have Bose noise-cancelling earphones in business class and in Economy comfort, and earplugs in economy class.
Wifi: you will see a code (in business class) in the screen when you open the IFE and select language. In economy class, you need to ask cabin crew for a voucher code if you are OWS/OWE, otherwise it costs you 7,95€ per hour, 11,95€ per three hours or 19,95€ for the whole flight. It may take some time until up in the air to get it started. Log in is required, once you have created an account and password, the system will recognize you next time.

Quality issues and early refurbishment
The seats in business class have had many quality issues from day one. Apart from some inherent problems with the seat design, there are also malfunctions and abnormal wear.
As every row has slightly different pitch, fittings and trimmings have had to de adopted manually. Apart from causing delays in delivery, this also has led to many things in the cabin tend to come loose, to squeak and to break.

In june 2017 it was announced that Airbus has accepted responsibility for the quality issues and will replace every seat on every plane delivered until that point in time (9 birds).
The refurbish will take place during the first round of major maintenance round, scheduled to start later this year.

There is no information if there will be any changes made at the same time (addressing complaints about cramped seats and missing stowage space for example), but most likely this is treated as a warranty action and so cabin will be equipped with the exact same seats and layout, albeit with a newer batch of seats.

More details and discussion:
FAM (Familiarization) flights were ongoing within European destinations until the first A350 aircraft was put on regular long-haul service on 21st November 2015. Here is a list of FAM flights quoted by a FT'er.
The "famous" introduction list with initial experiences can be found in THIS thread
Discussion about the first long-haul services and experiences can be found in another THREAD

Links to many trip reports can be found in https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/finn...ion-links.html.

Print Wikipost

Finnair A350 XWB master thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2015, 9:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Finnair A350 XWB master thread

Finnair has recently upped their game with a quite nice A350 product which many of us have had pleasure to try with already, and first reactions are certainly positive.

There are already 2 different threads discussing first impressions and it is time to dedicate an own thread to these nice little birds, they well deserve an own thread. This will facilitate search function at Flyertalk before various reviews and posts get dispersed in several threads.

Let's try to keep a fact-based WIKI clean, and leave discussion and feedback for the thread discussion.

I am not aiming to be a coordinator of this thread, rather just get the ball running with few notes in a WIKI, which anybody can modify and please do so, update as new birds fly in.

Here are a few trip reports or reviews linked, for more detailed experiences and photos/videos:
Delivery flight from Toulouse
BRU-HEL
TXL-HEL
HEL-LHR

Below next posts are just a few words from my own flight experiences

Last edited by FFlash; Nov 4, 2015 at 4:24 pm
Old Nov 4, 2015, 12:12 pm
Original Poster

I will start my own experiences from the back of the bus

In general the cabin feels roomy, airy, and most importantly (for me at least) fresher air and more silent than other widebody Airbuses I have flown with, which makes the economy experience "rather bearable" (what is that for an expression )

On this bird, the row 41 A/C or J/L offer tons of legroom, and feel more spacey but they lack window at exit row. 42 A/L are therefore to prefer if you absolutely want to have window to peek out.
41 D/E/H in the middle has less legroom than the previoiusly mentioned seats, but still more than normal seats, I would say around 70 cm.

These seats have the main screen in the bulkhead, but they also have personal IFE devices pocketed in the handrest, making it good enough.
The IFE device has a USB plug, not the most powerful but at least good enough to maintain power in your Pad. IFE has the same selection I think as in Business cabin, much improved set of films compared to older birds. The screen in the seats are pretty big to be an Y seat.

I did not experience the toilet traffic bothersome at row 41. The toilets itself were just a tad nicer than on older Airbuses, but equally small.

The seat width feels a bit roomier than on some other widebodies on market with more cramped configuration. The recline is bigger than on other AY widebody Airbuses as the seat slides forward as you recline, a good feature ^ actually making this seat one of the best Y seat I have flown with.

Overhead bins were large enough in my opinion to swallow the 'allowed' hand baggage, but the bins in the middle are on a higher level, making some shorter ladies difficult to reach up there. An opportunity for gentlemen to reach a hand

Last edited by FFlash; Nov 14, 2015 at 12:52 am
Old Nov 4, 2015, 3:56 pm
Original Poster

Continuing on business cabin, first focusing on the "minicabin", which is a separate business cabin area from the galley backwards rows 9-12.

The minicabin is smaller than the "main business cabin", and someone may like it that way, but some others may dislike the nearly non-existing separation of the cabin from economy cabin. The wall in between is very light and curtain do not prevent any possible noise coming in from economy side.

The seat is OK to my liking, but I am not the biggest fan of these Zodiac seats. When upright, I feel the sitting position is really upright, almost too upright, unergonomic. I am 180cm tall and I feel in the lieflat position I am just OK, but a 190cm would have issues to be comfortable.

The table is rather small and stays quite a distance away from seating position, leaving substantial gap where you have a good chance to drop food. The table is easily also twisted in an angle so that your stuff can slide away, but luckily there is a sliding button on the seat control so that you can slide your seat forward in the upright position to get closer to the table.

I was not comfortable with the feet position, rest and inexistence of feet support underneath. And when angled the seat, it is somewhat cramped and you cannot get out from the seat to the aisle without pushing back the seat upright, unless you want to "climb" up from your seat.

I was seated in row 10A and the positive remark was that you don't have anyone there in front of you so that when you sleep and bunk your feet, you will not be disturbing anyone with your movements and kicking. On the negative (1st world things...) note, there is only one window at row 10, whereas rows 11-12 have two windows. Row 10 is just ahead of the engine, whereas rows 11-12 begin to have obstructed view from engine and wing.

Bulkhead seats row 9 D&H have additional benefit of the extra main screen if you like to follow the nice tail camera during takeoff and landing, while having the forward camera on your private screen (they did not ask to turn away the screen during landing).

The reading light at the seat is good. The cabin is very light due to the color which I personally feel too much of "hospital clinic" look, but when they put on the light shows it all changes. Without that Vertti Kivi design, lighting and bigger windows, the cabin atmosphere would be a flop in my liking.

Based on this I would recommend to get a seat in the main business cabin and not in the minicabin.

Last edited by FFlash; Nov 17, 2015 at 9:33 am
Old Nov 4, 2015, 5:13 pm

Programs: AY Gold
Originally Posted by FFlash
Continuing on business cabin, first focusing on the "minicabin", which is a separate business cabin area from the galley backwards rows 9-12.

The minicabin is smaller than the "main business cabin", and someone may like it that way, but some others may dislike the nearly non-existing separation of the cabin from economy cabin. The wall in between is very light and curtain do not prevent any possible noise coming in from economy side.
I believe the divider between Economy and Business is so light because the minicabin can be converted into Economy. That must be the reason the minicabin has overhead lockers in the middle, unlike in the main Business cabin. So minicabin has more room for carry ons per seat but the cabin feels less airy.
Old Nov 14, 2015, 1:05 am
Original Poster

To continue my experiences, this time sitting in the front cabin row 4.

First, the IFE was jammed from the first minute, but when asked, it was reseted in a second unlike on those old 340 planes ^ A funny notation though about the "route map"; when you zoom in the globe, the picture of the plane fills quite the whole screen masking the map altogether

The best seats from the window alignment point of view seem to be row 2 (best), then 6, then 5 and the rest have one and a half window except row 1 which has only 1 window.

Row 1 being bulkhead, you will not be kicking anyone and at row 8 nobody will be kicking you during sleeping mode, but the proximity of galley might be bothersome for somebody.

In the front business cabin there are no lockers in the middle section, making the cabin feel more spacious than the minicabin. The lockers on the sides are quite sufficient anyway if people stick to carry-on rules.

There are 2 lavatories in the front, and the right-hand side one will be earmarked for ladies only (not yet during FAM flights) I was told. It is identical to the left one, but it will have some ladies amenities. The front lavatories have a window and a top-down mirror, whereas the minicabin lavatories don’t have those, but the minicabin lavatories are slightly bigger and have a latchable babycare-table.

There seems to be no basement (typo intended ) seats and the cabin crew did not know when I asked. The only bassinet seat seems to be row 41 in the back of the bus.

Wifi works, and you will see a code (in business class) in the screen when you open the IFE and select language. In economy, you need to ask cabin crew for a voucher code if you are OWS/OWE. It may take some time until up in the air to get it started. Wifi is slow and I would not buy it for a cent being that slow. The log in is clumbersome and slow too, requiring you to create account and password.

Amenity kit in business will be the same Marimekko purse as on other fleet as far as cabin crew could tell. Noise-cancelling earphones will be upgraded on A350, CC told me they will have Bose brand once longhaul starts (only earplug during FAM).

The kitchen in the minicabin side is now only used for catering but will be installed as a “self-service café” on upcoming longhauls.

The number of of cabin crew personnel will vary according to load factor, but standard will be four persons. During FAM flights there has been new crew coming in all the time and they have told me there is no “special key group” for A350, but instead lot of people will be trained.

The seats already show some wear due to the color of the materials chosen.

(PS. if someone is so kind to send me PM how to add photos, I could add some photos about details. I have seen many bad photos here (including me) and I want to avoid spam, thank you)

Last edited by FFlash; Nov 17, 2015 at 9:40 am
Old Nov 14, 2015, 4:10 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: EB Diamond, M&M SEN, QR Gold, AY+ Gold, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Wifi works, and you will see a code (in business class) in the screen when you open the IFE and select language. In economy, you need to ask cabin crew for a voucher code if you are OWS/OWE. It may take some time until up in the air to get it started. Wifi is slow and I would not buy it for a cent being that slow. The log in is clumbersome and slow too, requiring you to create account and password.
Ah, the joys of wifi. I assume we will have get used to this:

Anonymous German lady skype'ing not using headphones.

The kitchen in the minicabin side is now only used for catering but will be installed as a “self-service café” on upcoming longhauls.
It seems quite a lot of "thing to be fixed for Longhaul" left to do. It is just a week away!

The number of of cabin crew personnel will vary according to load factor, but standard will be four persons. ...
OK, this one I dread. They tried it before on the longhauls, leaving only 2 FA so serve business class after takeoff. Terrible service concept.

The seats already show some wear due to the color of the materials chosen.
Argh. How is it possible? They already this mistake with the Marimekko fabric (pillows and blankets look dirty and disgusting). I guess they invent new cabin concepts but never evaluate the old ones.

(PS. if someone is so kind to send me PM how to add photos, I could add some photos about details. I have seen many bad photos here (including me) and I want to avoid spam, thank you)
You need to host images at a site (any site). Then just deep-link to the image, ie go to that site and watch the image you like to publish, right-click and select "copy image address", then paste that url into FT.

Last edited by intuition; Nov 14, 2015 at 4:25 am
Old Nov 15, 2015, 7:22 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: EB Diamond, M&M SEN, QR Gold, AY+ Gold, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Question to those of you who have been on any of the FAM flights: I assume there has been no give-aways or marketing material given out to regular pax? Have there been any dedicated A350 stuff, anything designed juts for the A350?

Found a videoblogger who were presented with free stuff (a sticker, neck-strap and iittala products.

So apparently there are a few A350 branded items. Wonder if they are limited supply or something we'll see later on.
Old Nov 15, 2015, 8:28 am

Programs: AY LUMO
it looks like stuff given to important people and guests, not for passengers buying tickets for A350 -flights.
Old Nov 15, 2015, 8:44 am

We both know Sir Intuition, that we top Tier customers paying for tickets for Finnair we are nothing but no-brainer when You can fly bloggers or media free and we both pay it.

That is Finnair and their loyality.
Old Nov 15, 2015, 10:10 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), SK EBG (*A Gold), KQ Plat (STE+), Accor Plat
You guys should start a blog together!
Old Nov 15, 2015, 10:38 am
Moderator, Finnair

Originally Posted by OH-LGG
We both know Sir Intuition, that we top Tier customers paying for tickets for Finnair we are nothing but no-brainer when You can fly bloggers or media free and we both pay it.

That is Finnair and their loyality.
That certainly is true, thou famous one!
Naive as I am, I'm still hoping for a memento on AY57 coming saturday.

Originally Posted by lkrt
You guys should start a blog together!

The blogger asks Juha Järvinen if they rely on social media for PR and he says "yes, we like our customers to tell the story because that will be the truth". So challenge accepted! OH-LGG is already the famous Finnair poster-boy, maybe he is way past such worldly things as being a social media slut!
Old Nov 16, 2015, 11:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by intuition

It seems quite a lot of "thing to be fixed for Longhaul" left to do. It is just a week away!
I was surprised to hear that too. But I think that "left to do" thing could have been just the fact that the cabin crew on this flight happened to be there first/second time and they simply did not know, but just guessed...

Argh. How is it possible? They already this mistake with the Marimekko fabric (pillows and blankets look dirty and disgusting). I guess they invent new cabin concepts but never evaluate the old ones.
I must have given too dramatic expression. It is not really wear and tear, instead a question of light-coloured fabrics already showing stain and alike. Bad colour choice IMO anyway, and I think it would be a catastrophic color choice unless there was the Vertti Kivi lighting system to tone in different atmospheres.

example

You need to host images at a site (any site). Then just deep-link to the image, ie go to that site and watch the image you like to publish, right-click and select "copy image address", then paste that url into FT.
EDIT: I still don't know why the photos don't show up correctly

Last edited by FFlash; Nov 17, 2015 at 9:20 am
Old Nov 17, 2015, 9:45 am
Original Poster

While fighting to get the photos show up correctly, I have edited my earlier posts to include links to photos since they were not uploading correctly as such.

A bonus photo in this link. While "the famous one" was doing a MR with us, you wouldn't imagine that meant a matress run!
Old Nov 17, 2015, 10:34 am

While "the famous one" was doing a MR with us, you wouldn't imagine that meant a matress run!
He knew it was a looooong delay coming.
Old Nov 17, 2015, 12:39 pm
Moderator, Finnair

EDIT: I still don't know why the photos don't show up correctly
Because you need to deep link and use the IMG tags.

Go to the gallery, right click on the image, choose "copy image location".
Then start a new post, use the "Insert image" icon and paste the url into the little text-box.

When your editor looks like this (except the space in position 2 I had to add):
Code:
[ IMG]http://gallery.flyertalk.com/gallery/albums/Finnair-A350-photos/mattress_run.sized.jpg[/IMG]
you will get this result:

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.