Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Back to Finnair plus or stick with BA EC?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Back to Finnair plus or stick with BA EC?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2016, 11:24 am

Programs: BA GGL, AS, Hertz Cirque Présidentielle
I don't easily get over 100 000 miles with AY+. I did a calculation today with my OW flights so far this year and the 125 % for BA, AA, IB and LA really doesn't get me close enough to Platinum (OWE), but more like Gold (OWS). BAEC is just easier to play with, thanks to the tier point system and the deals one can find in premium cabins. I could probably do AY+ Platinum with some planning, but then again it's more beneficial for me to just buy me into C on AY longhaul flights and do BAEC as usually. If I would be doing 2000-3000 TPs per annum, then it'd be a different ball game.

(In fact I should be BAEC Gold now, but due to some crediting issue a TATL is missing, so stuck momentarily one notch below the top tier.)

As for AY in general, I think the Asia strategy is okay, hence the fact I think North America has been neglected and now spending aircraft resources on ORD and MIA is a little bit outside a sensible strategy. I would've just stuck with codeshares. As for Asia, I really love that QR is coming to HEL this fall. It will finally get some buzz in terms of prices and QR might become an interesting option for crediting, for some at least. (Their FFP sucks a bit, but at least miles don't expire as OWE.) More OW competition is good. Now if just AA could do something like CLT or MIA from HEL...
Old Jul 26, 2016, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by Flying Yazata
As for Asia, I really love that QR is coming to HEL this fall. It will finally get some buzz in terms of prices and QR might become an interesting option for crediting, for some at least. (Their FFP sucks a bit, but at least miles don't expire as OWE.) More OW competition is good. Now if just AA could do something like CLT or MIA from HEL...
Agree - QR might bring some buzz. IF you're after BAEC TPs, QR is much better (about double) than AY. But, but - several hours of connection in DOH in the middle of the night... they really must offer much better prices (or of course flying to destinations where I can't fly direct with AY)
Old Jul 26, 2016, 11:47 am

Programs: BA GGL, AS, Hertz Cirque Présidentielle
Speaking of connecting in the ME... I did HEL-FCO-AUH-BOM-SIN this June (AY for positioning and EY & co. for the actual trip), when I could've just done HEL-SIN with AY. But hey, that would've been boring! Less different planes, carriers, airports, lounges and not to mention memories. Plus did some shopping in AUH. Incredible that my suitcase arrived on the conveyor belt at Changi as expected.

Funnily the check-in agent at Changi on my way back said "kiitos", despite I was flying Etihad. Well, he also does check-ins for AY.

As for business trips, I'm sure DOH will be a challenge and not everyone will fancy those transits.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 1:32 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
The strange thing about QR and DOH connections is that I (and I'm guessing others too) always thought the long connections were due to the limitations of the old airport, when it infact got worse when the new airport was finished.

I haven't analyzed why, but the way they operate their waves is a major drawback for the SEA destinations. For AU and NZ the timing matters less and being a 1-connection flight is a major pro compared to AY. (None of them beats SQ/SK though, CPH-SIN-SYD in 22 hours)
Old Jul 26, 2016, 2:14 pm

Programs: AY LUMO
Originally Posted by intuition
(None of them beats SQ/SK though, CPH-SIN-SYD in 22 hours)
SK? What is the SK's part of it?
Old Jul 26, 2016, 2:25 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
I believe it is called marketing airline?
Old Jul 26, 2016, 2:27 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Or maybe not even that. But SQ does not sell those tickets with good connection. SK does.
Attached Images  
Old Jul 26, 2016, 2:49 pm

Programs: AY LUMO
Originally Posted by intuition
Or maybe not even that. But SQ does not sell those tickets with good connection. SK does.
Have to buy from SQ:
SQ 351
CPH – SIN
SQ 211
SIN – SYD
SQ 222
SYD – SIN
SQ 352
SIN – CPH
GRAND TOTAL
DKK 28,598
Old Jul 26, 2016, 2:56 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Can be bought from SK directly, books as SK8001/8011. So SK can have availability that SQ doesn't. But this is going tangentially, so let's stay on topic.
Attached Images  
Old Jul 26, 2016, 3:01 pm

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
Agree - QR might bring some buzz. IF you're after BAEC TPs, QR is much better (about double) than AY. But, but - several hours of connection in DOH in the middle of the night...
Yup. This was how it was flying HEL to KTM still a couple of years ago. HEL - CPH/ARN - DOH - KTM with 6-10 hours in DOH in the middle of the night. Only fast-food restaurants and chairs if you didn't get lounge entry - and managed to grab a chaise longue to sleep in. Last time I flew Turkish but I really look forward to a better connection with QR (and OW points) later in the fall.

Last edited by CeruleanBlue; Jul 26, 2016 at 3:27 pm
Old Jul 26, 2016, 11:19 pm

Programs: EBD, BAEC GGL/CCR, Alitalia AlataPlus, Club Carlson Gold, SPG Plat100, HHD
The DOH connections really depend on route, and sometimes an overnight landing evening from Europe and taking the airside hotel for a 7am morning flight is quite nice actually (just factor in the hotel cost in the ticket - about €100-150 usually). On the way back the connections tend to be better.

But yes the total travelling time is considerably longer, especially for places in NEA.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 1:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
While on QR - what worked very well for us was a family holiday. 3 days stopover in DOH (worth it) and than on to BKK. On the way back middle of the night stopover in DOH... The original reason was that I didn't want to put my mom on a 10-11 hrs direct flight - the 2x5/6 hrs were much better. But the 3 days in DOH were also very memorable.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 6:59 am
Ambassador: Finnair

Programs: AY Lumo, BA Silver, HHonors Gold
Waiting for the last few flights to post and I will hit AY Plat again after few years' break...double Emerald for the next 12 months...first time ever for me..

Free newspapers, here I come
Old Jul 27, 2016, 8:06 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Arrow

Originally Posted by NoWindowSeat
Waiting for the last few flights to post and I will hit AY Plat again after few years' break...double Emerald for the next 12 months...first time ever for me..

Free newspapers, here I come
Free newspapers for OWE as well so

I am doubling up as well, and a OWS as well 😂 First world issues I don't think I have ever requalified by July for OWE before 😂
Old Sep 4, 2016, 5:24 am
HJP

Programs: AY+ Gold
IŽve been crediting to AA for 3 years, but my AA Platinum (=OWS) will expire 02/2017. I just booked HEL-DOH-SYD with QR, and I think I will turn back to AY. This trip will get me a little over 40k points.

I donŽt plan another longhaul J trip in the near future, so IŽll probably exchange 120k award points to 40k tier points after this trip. That would get me AY Gold for 23 months before my AA Plat expires.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.