Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Back to Finnair plus or stick with BA EC?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Back to Finnair plus or stick with BA EC?

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2015, 2:47 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
AY+ is really biased toward C travel with AY code. I'd say the sweet spot is AY+ Gold (OWS), you can get there by a mere 24k BiS miles (!!) = 3x HEL-PEK-HEK in C.

Or even less, from zero to Gold in C: TXL-HEL-TXL + 2x TXL-HEL-PEK-HEL-TXL + HEL-TXL-HEL + HEL-TLL-HEL = 20k BiS & 90,6k TP, AY+ Gold.

This is just a calculation for the least number of BiS miles to OWS.

Of course 27 HEL-TLL-HEL is just 3,5k BiS miles and AY Gold
That is good to know, though I rarely fly C so AY will never be my main program but even as a secondary it just doesnt make much sense due to redemptions... Only upgrading seems a good deal...

Maybe one day theyll do a challenge offer then I might jump in again or just stick with one program even over the 100000 miles/points per year or credit to AS
Old Sep 7, 2015, 1:02 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
OK, revisiting this subject again...

Fellow FT'er gwaigwai (known to some here as the very short person that follows me around, who silently sits through our meet-ups and who is easily waken at 5 am for the flight home "as long as there is ample time to spend in the lounge") has an upcoming QR J flight. Since the value of crediting to AY is low, I was wondering what to do with the miles. The plan was to send them to AB and start to use AB for intra EU. But AB altered (read: cancelled) their status match program and it is a no-go now.

Sending miles to AY credits ≈32 400 points, but as it is a junior account, they won't count towards any tier. Achieving a tier would be more important than award miles .

Crediting to QR would only earn 10000 miles, but at least miles would end up in my account (family account - and that also explains the lousy earnings, QR skims 50% of the miles on such accounts). There are already 60k miles orphaned here, so it might be in vain.

Didn't want to pay for AA challenge (and will never be able to fulfil 4 segments either) and all that was left and viable was BAEC.

The trip would earn 560 TPs on BAEC, thus very close to silver/sapphire. With a membership year starting just before the trip, it is very likely that he would be able to cross 600TP and also later on sustain silver for a number of years. Sadly, BA requires members to be 18 y.o.

Any hints were to go from here?
Old Sep 7, 2015, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Without knowing details - CX, JL, QF, MH, RJ?
Old Sep 7, 2015, 1:16 pm

Programs: AY+ Platsku, IC Plat. Amb., HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, etc.
Under 18's can be members of BAEC, as long as they're part of a Household Account (which practically means that you'll get all their Avios, since spend is allowed only for members over 18). See 18.1.12. in the terms and conditions.

Anecdotal evidence over on the BA forum seems to suggest that they'll eligible to earn status as well, but you might want to verify that over there.
Old Sep 7, 2015, 1:21 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
RJ has a enormous RJ-requirement, you need to fly many thousands of miles on RJ metal for tiers.

CX has the worst tier requirements for all OW members, AFAIK. I didn't even do the math.

QF has revamped the program. This trip earns 400 status credits, need 700 for sapphire (1400 for emerald). So more difficult than BAEC, besides QF status does not give lounge access on domestic!!

Didn't do the math for JL and MH yet.

Would a household account on BAEC get us around the 18 y.o. requirement?
Old Sep 7, 2015, 1:23 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Originally Posted by mebe
Under 18's can be members of BAEC, as long as they're part of a Household Account (which practically means that you'll get all their Avios, since spend is allowed only for members over 18). See 18.1.12. in the terms and conditions.

Anecdotal evidence over on the BA forum seems to suggest that they'll eligible to earn status as well, but you might want to verify that over there.
Great, exactly what I was looking for!

BA webpages seems to indicate that household members do earn status.
Old Sep 7, 2015, 1:55 pm
Moderator, Finnair

And how do those of you who knows both programs rate 20k avios compared to 32,4k AY points?
Old Sep 7, 2015, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by intuition
And how do those of you who knows both programs rate 20k avios compared to 32,4k AY points?
My rule of thumb is 1 Avios = 3+ AY (based on EUR redemptions - for lh and on partners BA Avios is worth even more) so 20k Avios is much more value

EDIT: the equation is a bit more difficult, as the very short pax in question is entitled to AY jr rewards at 50% discount, but BA Avios gives access to BA upgrades, etc

NB - BA also have own metal requirement. 2 legs for OWR, 4 legs for OWS/OWE

Last edited by WilcoRoger; Sep 7, 2015 at 2:20 pm
Old Sep 7, 2015, 3:25 pm

Programs: AMEX Plat / AY Plat, BA GGL-CCR / Bonvoy Titanium (LTP)
NB - BA also have own metal requirement. 2 legs for OWR, 4 legs for OWS/OWE
Almost, but not quite. Not metal, but flights are required:

- flights operated by British Airways, including franchises and BA CityFlyer
- codeshare flights on other carriers with a BA flight number
- flights operated by Iberia, including franchises, with an IB flight number
Old Sep 7, 2015, 9:59 pm

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
In looking at the RJ program recently as a back up I no longer noticed the metal requirment so not sure they still require that? Just something to think about... Also the AA challenge does not require the 4 AA segments only the renewal does.
Old Sep 7, 2015, 10:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kauppias
In looking at the RJ program recently as a back up I no longer noticed the metal requirment so not sure they still require that? Just something to think about... Also the AA challenge does not require the 4 AA segments only the renewal does.
Yeah, but for the AA challenge, QR flights are not eligible, IIRC
Old Sep 7, 2015, 11:35 pm
Moderator, Finnair

In looking at the RJ program recently as a back up I no longer noticed the metal requirment so not sure they still require that?....
I looked yesterday, and there was own metal requirement. Looking today, there isn't. Strange.
Doing a very quick check, it seems it depends on which local site you browse! On the international site, there is no own metal, but on at least one of the country specific there is.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 12:27 am

Originally Posted by intuition
I looked yesterday, and there was own metal requirement. Looking today, there isn't. Strange.
Doing a very quick check, it seems it depends on which local site you browse! On the international site, there is no own metal, but on at least one of the country specific there is.
I looked into it as I have a feeder 5th freedom on RJ coming up so I will try a status match with them 😂😂 2 years as OWE backup for the match they require own flight but looks like they dont for regular requal anymore
Old Sep 8, 2015, 12:28 am

Yeah, but for the AA challenge, QR flights are not eligible, IIRC
Of course you are 110% right, and as a AA flyer I knew that but I should not reply with tired eyes 😄
Old Sep 8, 2015, 4:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I looked into it as I have a feeder 5th freedom on RJ coming up
BKK-KUL?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.