Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Back to Finnair plus or stick with BA EC?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Back to Finnair plus or stick with BA EC?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2015, 7:18 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
BKK-KUL?
Hkg-bkk with ay lh in between no upgrades cleared so hel-hkg//7hrs// hkg-bkk//8hrs//bkk hel 😂👍
Old Sep 8, 2015, 8:26 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Have done the RJ HKG-BKK once. Don't expect much on that leg. The flight continues to AMM and they save any treats for that leg.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 8:36 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Originally Posted by intuition
Have done the RJ HKG-BKK once. Don't expect much on that leg. The flight continues to AMM and they save any treats for that leg.
I figured as much 👍 Im sure it cant be worse then Kul-Bkk on MS 😂 adds another "experience" 😂
Old Sep 8, 2015, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by kauppias
Hkg-bkk with ay lh in between no upgrades cleared so hel-hkg//7hrs// hkg-bkk//8hrs//bkk hel 😂👍
Ah, so they do also HKG. I flew them KUL-BKK-AMM, the KUL leg is just a short trip on an lh aircraft. Still beats Jetstar Asia (BKK-SIN) - even to think of it makes me shudder
Old Sep 8, 2015, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by kauppias
I figured as much 👍 Im sure it cant be worse then Kul-Bkk on MS 😂 adds another "experience" 😂
There are interesting and cheap flights out of BKK. For BKK-SGN I had the option of TK or Ethiopian. I so wanted to try Ethiopian, just for the bragging, but their schedule was so much worse than TK's, that I ended up on TK. I also flew LH (as in Lufty) out of BKK further on (SIN??) and of course RJ, as said. Trying to avoid MS
Old Sep 8, 2015, 10:40 am

Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
There are interesting and cheap flights out of BKK. For BKK-SGN I had the option of TK or Ethiopian. I so wanted to try Ethiopian, just for the bragging, but their schedule was so much worse than TK's, that I ended up on TK. I also flew LH (as in Lufty) out of BKK further on (SIN??) and of course RJ, as said. Trying to avoid MS
I did ms out of curiosity. I wanted to try ET as well but schedule did not pan out... Will be intresting to try RJ. Im used to suffering on aircraft, after all I am spending 21hrs in AY Y I dont mind though if 69 is late I may be in trouble
Old May 13, 2016, 4:54 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Qatar Business R class

There is not really a perfect thread to post this news, and it is not big enough for a thread of its own, but it has some bearing on which program to credit to, so here goes:

Qatar R booking class (business discounted) will start to earn on AY+ programme on june 1. This fare currently earns 125% on BAEC but 0% on AY+. It is not yet determined how much it will earn, so if this is of interest to you, keep an eye on the earnings table at finnair.com
Old May 18, 2016, 1:03 pm
HJP

Programs: AY+ Gold
Looking for easiest way to have OWS before my AA Platinum expires 02/2017 while I donīt have any planned travel with AA-flight number possibilities.

I will travel to Asia/Australia next winter, and Qatar R fare seems to give me following choices on HEL-DOH-SYD:
BA 600TP (=Silver/OWS)
AY+ 40000p (=Silver/OWR, 50% of OWS)
AA 30000EQM (=Gold/OWR, 60% of OWS), +45000RDM with current Platinum bonus which will get me about 2 r/t in Europe Y.

Based on this I should jump on BA where you get OWS with just this one trip. This would guarantee status benefits but I dontīt have any previous experience of BA FFP, and travel mostly on AY. How does BA count your status period, do you get the status for remaining tracking period + the next year?

I appreciate AY points upgrades (now collected with DC) but have never redeemed an award flight with AY points. I am not sure if I could make AY gold because it would need another paid trip on longhaul J.

AA has been a very good program this far for me because of multiple trips in Y to NA, but these earnings will drop significantly in the future. I still appreciate platinum bonuses and it might be good if we travel longhaul J with Oneworld member airlines like QR.

Any thoughts?
Old May 18, 2016, 1:08 pm

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
QR R earns zero to AY+ for now. Are you sure it will be updated to 125%?
Old May 18, 2016, 1:27 pm

Programs: AY+, SK EB
Originally Posted by HJP
Looking for easiest way to have OWS before my AA Platinum expires 02/2017 while I donīt have any planned travel with AA-flight number possibilities.

I will travel to Asia/Australia next winter, and Qatar R fare seems to give me following choices on HEL-DOH-SYD:
BA 600TP (=Silver/OWS)
AA 30000EQM (=Gold/OWR, 60% of OWS), +45000RDM with current Platinum bonus which will get me about 2 r/t in Europe Y.

Based on this I should jump on BA where you get OWS with just this one trip. This would guarantee status benefits but I dontīt have any previous experience of BA FFP, and travel mostly on AY. How does BA count your status period, do you get the status for remaining tracking period + the next year?

[...]

Any thoughts?
I think you omitted something at BAEC

You'll need to fly BA at least four times and earn 600 Tier Points, or take a total of 50 BA flights, to move through to the Silver tier
So your trip will not bring you to OWS you still need 4 BA flights.
Old May 18, 2016, 1:36 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Originally Posted by Courmisch
QR R earns zero to AY+ for now. Are you sure it will be updated to 125%?
QR R class will start to earn on AY+ june 1. At what rate, is unknown.
Old May 18, 2016, 1:53 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Originally Posted by HJP

BA 600TP (=Silver/OWS)

I appreciate AY points upgrades (now collected with DC) but have never redeemed an award flight with AY points. I am not sure if I could make AY gold because it would need another paid trip on longhaul J.

AA has been a very good program this far for me because of multiple trips in Y to NA, but these earnings will drop significantly in the future. I still appreciate platinum bonuses and it might be good if we travel longhaul J with Oneworld member airlines like QR.

Any thoughts?
You probably rounded off the numbers, but if you have exactly zero TP in AY+ right now, you will have approx. 41900 points after the trip.

You will hit silver during that trip and the silver tier bonus will kick in. (In AY+, the tier bonus affects TP too). It will make a small difference and only when flying AY, but 10% extra should be considered.

If OWS is the important thing and you don't have more flying lined up, then BA the only choice, but like mentioned above you need to add 4 shorthauul segment.

If you fly 4 AY+ segments HEL-"Europe" in value, you will get 8800 more points so that is something. But only totalling slightly above 50k and still a long way to Gold.

Basically, getting OWS with only one longhaul is not realistic so you need to take a look at what other flying you are planning, and what program will fit those flights the best.

And you need to keep an eye out for what the final earnings will be for the R class on AY+.
Old May 18, 2016, 4:00 pm

Programs: A3 Gold, BA Silver
Originally Posted by HJP

BA 600TP (=Silver/OWS)

Any thoughts?
BA counts membership year more or less like AY so it doesn't make sense to join too early. Status is valid for current and next membership year.

You need 4 BA or IB segments but you can get them quite cheaply if you live close to Helsinki. You can do two day to London trips for 200 €

Unlike other programs, BA calculates status bonus based on flown distance => as Silver you get 75 % of flown distance if fly in discount economy (non-status members get 25 %).

The bad thing with BA is that AY economy fares earn only 25 % but usually there is no price difference between BA, JL & AY coded flights when travelling to NA & Japan. BAEC upgrade rules are very strict so you might want to continue collecting points with Diners.

BA Avios are usually quite useful when booking short-haul flights (<2000 miles) within Americas, Asia or Australia (usually no fuel surcharges). IB flights between Madrid and Latin America are often quite good value for points if you transfer points to IB Plus (25-50 % point discounts are quite common in Y & C). AY award flights booked through BA are very expensive.
Old May 18, 2016, 11:44 pm
HJP

Programs: AY+ Gold
I didn't notice the 4 segment on BA rule with BAEC, so that makes it quite the same as with AA (where AY operated flights with AA flight numbers are eligible). AY+ doesn't have this rule which is better for me.

AAdvantage should also be considered in this game based on my current Platinum status that will give 100% status bonus.

I really hoped I could switch to AY+ (I live near HEL), but it seems that with both AA and AY I need another longhaul-J to reach OWS. On AY you could still use 100% earning AA-coded Y-flights to US, but I think our current trip to Hawaii will be the last trip to the US in the next couple of years.
Old May 19, 2016, 12:04 am

Originally Posted by HJP
I didn't notice the 4 segment on BA rule with BAEC, so that makes it quite the same as with AA (where AY operated flights with AA flight numbers are eligible). AY+ doesn't have this rule which is better for me.

AAdvantage should also be considered in this game based on my current Platinum status that will give 100% status bonus.

I really hoped I could switch to AY+ (I live near HEL), but it seems that with both AA and AY I need another longhaul-J to reach OWS. On AY you could still use 100% earning AA-coded Y-flights to US, but I think our current trip to Hawaii will be the last trip to the US in the next couple of years.
Dont let the ba 4 segment rule scare you. Especially as from HEL its easy to do a day trip to LHR for 2 segments also it is super easy to qualify with ba. Also if you go for gold one year you will soft land to Silver the next year...

Their redemptions are crap in MY OPINION but hey reality is propably the same everywhere soon 😀😀😀

Hard to tell what AAs future is YET until they unveil their plans 100%

That said I am doing both... I am too lazy to entertain AY as I would have to start from basic abd I am too lazy for that still

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.