Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Back to Finnair plus or stick with BA EC?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Back to Finnair plus or stick with BA EC?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2016, 2:02 pm

Programs: AY LUMO
Originally Posted by HJP
Of course there is also 4 AA-coded segment requirement, but it can be also codeshare operated for examply by AY.
Just curious, Is there any AA coded flights bookable in Europe without AA connection to NA?
Old Oct 3, 2016, 2:04 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
How're burning rates? Weird restrictions? YQ? These are also factors to consider.
Yes, good point by I have no idea - difficult to research.
They just seem to be easy to keep status. As for redeeming, they all fool us and I'm just sick and tired of the bunch.
Old Oct 4, 2016, 1:30 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Originally Posted by OH-LGG
Just curious, Is there any AA coded flights bookable in Europe without AA connection to NA?
I havent seen any. Unless continuing onwards to the us...
Old Oct 4, 2016, 1:31 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
How're burning rates? Weird restrictions? YQ? These are also factors to consider.
S7 seems to earn very poorly in economy. Havent looked at their burn rates...
Old Oct 4, 2016, 1:40 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
S7 has a very weird calculator. What ever you input, it just says business class trip on a oneworld carrier earns either 150% (basic) or 250% (business flex) and has the fineprint "Please note this quotation is approximate. "
Since the earnings table says 125%, that fineprint is probably the understatement of the year.
Old Oct 10, 2016, 4:48 am

Programs: BA Gold, OZ Diamond, LH Silver
Here are some of my thoughts about comparison between AY Plus and BAEC.

My mind has recently been drifting towards changing back from BAEC to Finnair Plus after the improvements of Plat benefits. For me the emerald status and its perks have always been more important than collecting and using miles. Nevertheless, Finnair's upgrade vouchers and the new giveaway gold card would trump BA Gold's quite nonexistent extra benefits there are in addition to normal emerald benefits. I made 2600 tier points last year and received a GUF2 voucher but as I don't see a chance to make Gold Guest List status in the near term, I was pondering other options.

However, reviewing my flying pattern for the next three months it seems difficult to justify to change. I can easily maintain my BA Gold for another year but with Finnair plus I would barely reach AY Gold. As my spring will include less flying and my AY Plus tracking period ends in May I would probably not get to Platinum at all. So for me personally, sticking to BAEC is a good idea especially as I have surprisingly few AY flights coming up after QR starts flights to HEL.

Analysing the situation more carefully, I posted my upcoming oneworld flights in the next three months below. I calculated a column where one can see how many % of emerald status tier points each flight generates (150 000 points in AY Plus, 1500 tier points in BAEC). I find this interesting as AY beats BA in only one of my trips when flying restricted economy on QR. On all other flights BAEC gives me a larger % of points needed for emerald status.
Attached Images  
Old Oct 10, 2016, 10:49 am
Moderator, Finnair

Very interesting, haapalainen! Thanks for posting, this shows clearly why it is extremely important to do ones homework.

In your case, BAEC is silliy generous for those US domestic F sectors, with each leg counting for 14% of emerald!
AY is generous to no one except their own flight codes. You only have 2 AY segments, so with that knowledge alone one could suspect AY+ is not going to be a good program for you.
This is not only due to the earnings table but to the fact that AY tier bonus affects tierpoints too. This is a smart move, since it fosters loyalty. Once you hold AY Emerald, it will be easier to renew if you keep flying AY code.

Before I post my spreadsheet, I'd just like to add that anything above 100% of emerald is lost. Sure, on BAEC one can aim for the higher tiers but in the discussion "on what program will my flights earn me emerald" a program with 150% of emerald is equal to one that yields 101% of emerald.
Old Oct 10, 2016, 10:57 am
Moderator, Finnair

And here is my calculation.

My flights would earn me Emerald in both BAEC and AY+. Despite flying a lof of QR I'm far away from emerald at 69%. On AAaaaaaadvantage I'd end up at 88%, despite everyone saying AA is generous (they might be in cattle class).

Interesting is that BAEC is more generous on QR flights than AY+ is. If only flying QR, then BAEC might be a good program.
But where AY+ "really shines" is actually in the Value ticket type. That trip is 15,8% credited to AY+, compared to BAEC (3,3%) QRPC (0,0%) and AAaaaadvantage (4,0%).
Attached Images  
Old Oct 10, 2016, 11:20 am

Programs: BA Gold, OZ Diamond, LH Silver
Nice analysis intuition! It's great to be able to see some more comparison. Those AY Value tickets really shine in AY+!

It can easily be seen that AY+ is best suited for people that fly a lot on AY metal. The tier bonuses bring a nice boost to tier points as a Plat but as said, flying other airlines doesn't yield any bonuses or actually that many tier points at all.

This is the opposite on BA, where tier points are basically identical regardless of the oneworld airline flown. Though, BA tries to create loyalty by giving a lot more Avios points for their own flights compared to for example AY flights.

Anyway, one can argue that BAEC is a very good program for a frequent flyers that fly on several airlines who care most about earning oneworld status. Adding the element of collecting and using miles will of course bring added complexity to this already quite tricky situation of choosing one's loyalty scheme!
Old Oct 11, 2016, 12:19 am

I havent been following up alot with Tps lately but wasnt there talk of intra US domestic F posting as 140tps lately except for three class?

Just something to keep in mind.
Old Oct 11, 2016, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by haapalainen
It can easily be seen that AY+ is best suited for people that fly a lot on AY metal. The tier bonuses bring a nice boost to tier points as a Plat but as said, flying other airlines doesn't yield any bonuses or actually that many tier points at all
...especially on AY metal or with AY code in the pointy end! 225% earning for Plats in C is no mean feat ^
Old Oct 11, 2016, 1:21 pm

Programs: LH SEN
225% earning for Plats in C is no mean feat ^
250 %.
Old Oct 11, 2016, 1:51 pm

Programs: AY Plat Lumo
Originally Posted by esledo
250 %.
What?

Edit: I get it now. Not (200+25)% but 1*200%*125% = 250%.....

Last edited by cistavoda; Oct 11, 2016 at 2:04 pm Reason: I suck at math.
Old Oct 11, 2016, 1:54 pm
Moderator, Finnair

They are talking about the combination (COS bonus) x (Tier Bonus)
So a VALUE is 125% in this kind of calculation, ie better bang for your buck
Old Oct 13, 2016, 3:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by esledo
250 %.
Oh, wait a sec, you're right. I got 20k for Far-East C, that's 250% of the 8k base earning.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.